Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2010, 21:01   #3031
BHPian

Hey I have a quick query. Is there any place where I can pick up Gone In 60 Seconds, the 1974 original in HD print?
Old 9th November 2010, 21:58   #3032
Senior - BHPian

Watched The Proposal

This is an old story in a new avatar but thanks to Sandra Bullock & Ryan Reynolds you dont get bored. Its a nice romantic comedy.

The story is about Sandra Bullock who needs to marry Ryan to avoid getting deported the Problem is that she is his boss & that too a very strict one, someone who everyone in office hates. The consulate guy is tipped about this fake marriage & they then spend time with family so that they can prove that its not fake. Lot of interesting & funny tit bits during all this makes the movie interesting.

3.5/5

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th November 2010 at 23:05. Reason: Thanks JB :)
Old 10th November 2010, 08:39   #3033
BHPian

^agreed, I usually really dislike this genre but thanks to my wife had to sit through this and wasn't that bored even though it was very cliched (ghisi peeti theme/situations)

watched Shutter Island finally (pretty sure it was discussed on this thread in the past), liked it , Di Caprio is fast turning into a great actor under the skilled guidance of guys like Scorsese.

4/5
Old 10th November 2010, 09:26   #3034
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
watched Shutter Island finally (pretty sure it was discussed on this thread in the past), liked it , Di Caprio is fast turning into a great actor under the skilled guidance of guys like Scorsese.

4/5
Caprio was always a very good actor. He has got nominated for lots of Best Actor awards & also won a few of them over his whole career.
Old 10th November 2010, 09:39   #3035
BHPian

+1 to caarboy. Leanardo was always a good actor. Great piece of acting in Blood diamond. Accent he speaks in the film sounds so real. I remember he being nominated for the best actor for titanic for the oscars. Kate winslet won the best actress, but leonardo did not win the best actor. But it cannot take anything away from him. He is a splendid actor
Old 10th November 2010, 09:51   #3036
BHPian

I thought that Leonardo Di Caprio would go the ol' 'chocolate boy' way after seeing Titanic (a movie I never liked). But, like Aamir Khan, he mas matured and improved leaps and bounds in the past 10+ years.

Shutter Island was good, but a bit boring in parts, especially the pacing. I preferer his other movies, like Catch Me If You Can, The Departed and of course, Inception.
Old 10th November 2010, 10:02   #3037
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
I thought that Leonardo Di Caprio would go the ol' 'chocolate boy' way after seeing Titanic (a movie I never liked). But, like Aamir Khan, he mas matured and improved leaps and bounds in the past 10+ years.
Again, I disagree. He was good even before Titanic.
His first Oscar & Golden Globe nominations were 4 years before Titanic.
Old 10th November 2010, 10:14   #3038
Senior - BHPian

@avi Watch Basketball Diaries. The role Leo did was amazing.

A note about Aamir Khan. He always stays away from the media and the moment his movie is bound to release he squeezes the media dry to get his movie promoted. Worse was after the dinner with Prez Obama he still had something to say about his movies.
For a person who maintains a class and claims he wont take a filmfare this is not great.
Am still his big fan but disappointed by Peepli Live.

Proposal: Nice movie where a boss proposes to her Asst to get her Visa status in the US changed. This has happened with many of us and well as a student i too am facing these issues.
Amazing movie and like Techno said earlier Both the actors keep you glued. Not the Best ROMANTIC MOVIE as Notting Hill takes the cake but still a GOOD watch.

3.5/5
Old 10th November 2010, 10:58   #3039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Again, I disagree. He was good even before Titanic.
His first Oscar & Golden Globe nominations were 4 years before Titanic.
Romeo and Juliet, Quick and the dead come to mind
Old 10th November 2010, 11:08   #3040
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Speaking about the actors, not only DiCaprio, but almost all the Italians have a way of acting. They are unique and stylish and have this uncanny knack of adjusting to various roles. Be it DeNiro, Pacino, Brando in lead roles or actors like Pesci, DeVito in cameo roles too.

Had always thought that they are naturally suitable for mafia genre but my perception changed when I also saw Analyze this, Home alone series and a few others which I cannot recollect right now.
Old 10th November 2010, 11:24   #3041
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Speaking about the actors, not only DiCaprio, but almost all the Italians have a way of acting. They are unique and stylish and have this uncanny knack of adjusting to various roles. Be it DeNiro, Pacino, Brando in lead roles or actors like Pesci, DeVito in cameo roles too.

Had always thought that they are naturally suitable for mafia genre but my perception changed when I also saw Analyze this, Home alone series and a few others which I cannot recollect right now.
DiCaprio is not an Italian. He is an American. His mother was from Germany & his father is a 4th Generation American.

DeNiro's father was born in the USA, though his father was an Italian. DeNiro's mother is of Dutch, French & German ancestory.

Brando's parents were of German, Irish, Dutch & English ancestory, those most of their ancestors were in the US since the 17th century.

DeVito, Pesci & Pacino are probably the closest to what you can Italian-American - they were born in the US, though one or both of their parents came from Italy.

That said, all of the above are super actors, with DeNiro being my favourite - I have watched 22 films with DeNiro!!
Old 10th November 2010, 11:30   #3042
JVH
Senior - BHPian

What I meant was obviously with Italian roots.

And DeNiro it is for me too. I don't recall this movie name where he plays a psycho role. IIRC, Jessica Lange stars in the movie and DeNiro takes great sadistic pleasure in haunting her and her teenage daughter. The movie was not a big hit but his acting was brilliant.
Old 10th November 2010, 11:38   #3043
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post

What I meant was obviously with Italian roots.

And DeNiro it is for me too. I don't recall this movie name where he plays a psycho role. IIRC, Jessica Lange stars in the movie and DeNiro takes great sadistic pleasure in haunting her and her teenage daughter. The movie was not a big hit but his acting was brilliant.
Cape Fear is the movie.
Old 10th November 2010, 13:31   #3044
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Cape Fear is the movie.
Darr was a straight lift from Cape Fear. Loved DeNiro in that movie and especially his floral shirts.

IMO, The only tug of war in Hollywood between who is best would be

Robert De Niro Vs. Al Pacino

Its indeed a tough choice whom to pick as both are just terrific in their own special way
Old 10th November 2010, 13:35   #3045
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Darr was a straight lift from Cape Fear.
Not sure I agree with that. A lot of scenes were inspired from Cape Fear but the story itself was very different. The reason why the stalker stalks the stalkee were very different in the two movies.

So, straight lift is probably not the right description.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks