Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2010, 00:09   #3136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I'm tempted to do a Leslie Nielsen movie marathon in his honour ( he died yesterday ). I loved his comic timing and dead pan dialogue delivery. His line "I am not joking. And don't call me Shirley" from the movie "Airplane" will remain one of my favourite lines ever. Planning to check "Airplane", "Naked Gun" series, "Scary Movie" 3 & 4 and some other of his lesser known movies this week. RIP Leslie Nielsen.
Forbidden Planet (1956) - IMDb

One of his earlies movies which is believed to be inspiration for most space movie directors!
Old 3rd December 2010, 00:13   #3137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Despicable Me

A lovely animated family movie. A must watch. Lead character could have been designed better, but the children will love such look so it hits the target.

animation is nothing ground breaking.

4.5/5
I watched it in 3D. It was fun, predictable, but the main character was fun to watch.
Old 3rd December 2010, 00:34   #3138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Saw The Insider

The movie is about An American Scientist Jeffrey Wigand (Russel Crowe) who gets fired from A Tobacco company from the post of R&D chief because he points it out to them that the usage of a chemical process in making of cigarettes is not correct & will do harm to smokers.

A successful Journalist Lowell Bergman(Al Pacino) approaches him for his help on understanding some scientific document & this is where the trouble begins as the company suspects that he going to leak some information which is not allowed as per the non-disclosure contract signed by him with the company.

The films shows how even the best in the media get manipulated by the powerful Corporates & how a determined scientist(even at the cost of his family) helped to bring in a big change in the way Cigarettes are seen today.

Brilliant performances & crisp Direction is what is this movie worth watching for.

4/5
+1 to that. i saw it a couple of months back. If someone appreciates serious stuff , excellent performances with a tight script must go for this.
Old 3rd December 2010, 00:48   #3139
Senior - BHPian

^^Is this a true story ?
Old 3rd December 2010, 02:43   #3140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
^^Is this a true story ?
I rem it was mentioned that it is based on a true story.
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:56   #3141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
P.S: Next in line " Kramer Vs. Kramer". Any reviews?
Saw this movie. As mentioned it was a tad slow but, an excellent movie for someone who is considering getting divorced and how painful it gets post that to raise your children. They will certainly change their mind after seeing this movie

Brilliant acting by Dustin Hoffman and his kid was simply outstanding in his role.

Meryl Streep wasnt that impressive. I feel she grew into a more powerful actress as she grew older.

A complete family drama with tons of emotions that we see in our day to day lives. Really a good watch

This movie won 5 academy awards in 1980 and a bunch of other nominations

4/5

P.S: Next in line " Letters from Iwo Jima" starring Clint Eastwood. I think its an excellent movie. Correct?
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:59   #3142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Machete is everything that the teaser (during Planet Terror) promised and more. Delightfully entertaining with lots of violence, gore and with political correctness blasted to smithereens! I had a huge grin on my face throughout the film!
Give the movie, 'The Machine Girl' a shot. Originally a Japanese flick though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I'm tempted to do a Leslie Nielsen movie marathon in his honour ( he died yesterday ). I loved his comic timing and dead pan dialogue delivery. His line "I am not joking. And don't call me Shirley" from the movie "Airplane" will remain one of my favourite lines ever. Planning to check "Airplane", "Naked Gun" series, "Scary Movie" 3 & 4 and some other of his lesser known movies this week. RIP Leslie Nielsen.
Another favorite of mine is Spy Hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Watched Shutter Island a few days back. And i must say its a great movie. A definite watch and i rate it 4/5
The twist in the end just knocks you completely off! Perfectly demonstrates the thin line between reality & illusion. To really psyche oneself, watching this one & Inception is recommended.

Watched Gone in 60 Seconds (1974 one) for the 3rd time last night and am still crying for Eleanor.
Old 3rd December 2010, 18:28   #3143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
P.S: Next in line " Letters from Iwo Jima" starring Clint Eastwood. I think its an excellent movie. Correct?
Right and wrong.
Excellent movie, yes.
But, the movie was only directed by Clint Eastwood. He didn't star in it.
Old 3rd December 2010, 18:49   #3144
Team-BHP Support

Today there is Blow Dry in Sony PIX. It is a very funny story about British Hair Styling Championship. Don't miss!

Blow Dry : Alan Rickman, Natasha Richardson, Rachel Griffiths, *, Director Paddy Breathnach Sony PIX Indian English Movie Channel schedule online and Hollywood Movie Channel live | Hollywood Movie Channel in india
Old 4th December 2010, 00:03   #3145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
^^Is this a true story ?
Pervez, this is a dramadized version of a True story, you can read about Dr. Jeffrey Wigand and the Tobacco Company Brown & Williamson and you will see that the characters are indeed real & the story too.

Its available on Netflix
Old 4th December 2010, 00:55   #3146
Senior - BHPian

Attack On Darfur

4.5/5

The atrocities faced by the Black Sudanese Muslim's in the Darfur area of the Country. The movie is about American reporters who go to Darfur to report and what inhumanity they see at the hands of the Janjaweed and how some decide to rebel.

Wont reveal the entire story

DO NOT MISS THIS MOVIE for anything.
Old 4th December 2010, 13:02   #3147
Senior - BHPian

Takers

A good heist movie. Nothing exceptional, won't break any new grounds in terms of story, but it has its own impact, action scenes are believable, cinematography is top notch, actors are dressed in expensive suits which i like - makes them look like pro bank robbers. The drama is more in this movie compared to similar movies which robs some sheen of the movie. Hope it had more action.

Watchable average affair.

3.5/5
Old 5th December 2010, 03:45   #3148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

Its available on Netflix
Cool! thanks Kedar !!
I happened to watch Unstoppable yesterday starring Denzel Washington.
Crisp movie with not a dull moment. Even funny at times. No ground breaking performances but good acting overall. I think I saw something in the movie that read 'Based on true events'.

We were mapping our office people on the characters shown in the movie. It was fun overall. Worth a watch. It is not long even. 1 and 3 quarters of an hour and the movie is over.
Old 5th December 2010, 04:06   #3149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I have seen the original "Le Dīner de cons" and believe me both the Hindi and English don't come anywhere near the original. And the concept fits really nicely in the still aristocratic French Society.
thanks much for the reco, it was one hella Of a movie and I thoroughly enjoyed
Old 5th December 2010, 11:21   #3150
Senior - BHPian

Guys can you suggest me some romantic comedy films ?
I love that genre of light films and enjoy them the most.
I have watched quite a few though like, when harry met sally,hitch,she's out of my league, the proposal,500 days of summer etc.

Most Viewed