Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 13:35   #3316
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
During the time shown in the movie, Facebook wasn't making any profits. They had a negative cashflow of 150 million dollars. All the money came from venture capital. Mark was rich because of stock in the company. Whatever money they were making was through advertising, but at that time, it was still not turning a profit. I think FB started making money only in 2010.
That's not correct. A quick BING search gave me this info :-

2006 : $52M
2007 : $150M
2008: $280M
2009: $775M
2010: $2000M

Darn! Look at that exponential growth. No other company must have taken such "long jumps" in their balance sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
And sometime later last year he got Time 'person of the Year'. This magazine is losing its credibility each year.
I think that statement is not appropriate.

Why shouldnt he be on that cover? Isnt he the youngest billionaire on this planet? If that doesnt suffice then what else makes you get on that cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's true, Steven is a highly accomplished martial arts guy unlike Danny, who was an amateur boxer in the prison. The body language easily gives that out. Can anyone believe Mel Gibon/Danny Glover beating Jet lee in Lethal Action 4? Ok, they made it look very difficult, but still...
Absolutely. SS is so fluid in his movements and Danny was using his feet like they do in a ring. But, what I like about Danny is he is much older than SS but, seems fitter than him as well.

I feel sad to see SS not aging gracefully. I still have his young face with a ponytail in my mind

True about Jet Li too. That small fella is lethal and can put down DG and Mel easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I don't think we are going to get the sequels though. Robert is too busy with a lot of projects. We haven't even got a Sin City 2 yet, which has been in the making for many years now. He should stop doing those kiddie movies that take up a lot of his time. I hear he is now doing another sequel for the Spy Kids franchise.
Yeah, Cheech Marin is a favorite of Robert and stars in all his movies. He got an attitude for sure. Robert follows his close friend and mentor Quentin's style to some extent. One of them being repeating most of the starcast for next ventures

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th February 2011 at 13:37.
Old 8th February 2011, 14:05   #3317
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
That's not correct. A quick BING search gave me this info :-

2006 : $52M
2007 : $150M
2008: $280M
2009: $775M
2010: $2000M
Those are revenues. I am talking about profit.
Old 8th February 2011, 14:37   #3318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Those are revenues. I am talking about profit.
oh! I just noted profit as i was thinking its revenues. Btw, it may churn out a $1B net profit this year. Simply unbeilevable

Anyways, enough of OT. Lets get back to english movie discussion.

It usually happens to me. I saw Social Network and was impressed by Jesse who played Mark and I never heard of this actor till this movie. I get my next movie (Zombieland) and guess what. Jesse is in that movie. I was zapped!

Anyways, this movie Zombieland starring Woody Harrelson and Jesse is based on a crappy story of america completely in grip of humans converted to zombies with these two folks along with a couple of pretty dames run across the country finding a place where they can safely settle down.

Jesse is nice and has got a certain likeability and WH is good as usual in a maverick role

Script and execution is B-grade. I fast forwarded through it

1/5 ( Only for Jesse and Woody)

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th February 2011 at 14:38.
Old 8th February 2011, 14:45   #3319
BHPian

Zombieland is a lot of fun. Another good movie starring Jesse Eisenberg is a small movie called "Adventureland". It is a romantic movie and also stars Kirsten Stewart ( of Twilight fame ).
Old 8th February 2011, 18:44   #3320
BHPian

Finally got hold of Inception on DVD. Complicated but sometimes too complicated for its own good. But definitely a movie worth seeing. Not sure on all the hype it generated though. Too much action in the dreams and not enough substance ruined it for me.

I still think Shutter Island was better in terms of story-telling and "suspense" (is it real or not?)
Old 8th February 2011, 21:29   #3321
Senior - BHPian

Re: Machete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Can anyone believe Mel Gibon/Danny Glover beating Jet lee in Lethal Action 4? Ok, they made it look very difficult, but still...
You meant Lethal Weapon 4, right?

Saw a couple of movies

Leap Year

The movie is about the journey of lady to propose his lover on 29th of Feb because as per the legend no one can refuse a proposal on 19th of Feb. This girl meets another guy & on the way they fall in slowly & unknowingly.

Typical rom-com

3/5

The Final Destination

This the 2009 release & work on similar lines as the previous ones just that this one has more gore & the scenes have been created keeping 3D in mind (I saw it in 2D on TV).
The movie has been shot well but the concept is no more as exciting as it was earlier.

2.5/5
Old 8th February 2011, 22:14   #3322
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Machete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
The Final Destination
Which one are you referring to? Is it FD-2? I have seen all 4 movies and found the second one the most exciting.

Part 3--completely lost it

Part 4- The opening Nasscar scene was also shot brilliantly.

They should stop and not make any more sequels as this once unique concept got saturated.

In FD-2, the accident on highway has been shot the best that i ever saw in a hollywood movie ( other being Bad Boys 2). It still amazes me when i watch it at home on my large screen LCD with my HT in full blast mode
Old 8th February 2011, 23:41   #3323
Senior - BHPian

Yes its the Nascar one that I saw.

And yes I too found the 2nd one to be excellent, the storyline & sequences were very well put together.
Old 9th February 2011, 05:58   #3324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

II get my next movie (Zombieland) and guess what. Jesse is in that movie. I was zapped!

Anyways, this movie Zombieland starring Woody Harrelson and Jesse is based on a crappy story of america completely in grip of humans converted to zombies with these two folks along with a couple of pretty dames run across the country finding a place where they can safely settle down.

Jesse is nice and has got a certain likeability and WH is good as usual in a maverick role

Script and execution is B-grade. I fast forwarded through it

1/5 ( Only for Jesse and Woody)
Zombieland is a cult movie and prersonally I just love it. 7.8/10 from imdb and 90% score from rottentomatoes echo my feelings. Guess you do not like films of this genre (dark comedy/spoof etc)
Old 9th February 2011, 09:11   #3325
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Zombieland is a cult movie and prersonally I just love it. 7.8/10 from imdb and 90% score from rottentomatoes echo my feelings. Guess you do not like films of this genre (dark comedy/spoof etc)
Neither did I like it. mobike atleast fast forwarded through it. I just switched it off after 45 minutes or so.
Old 9th February 2011, 09:41   #3326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Neither did I like it. mobike atleast fast forwarded through it. I just switched it off after 45 minutes or so.
Accepted. If all people had same taste the world would be a boring monotonous place to live in .

Watched 2 films back to back last night.

Due Date (Robert Downey Jr, Zack Galifianakis) - RDJ must reach LA from Atlanta to be present for the birth of his child, except his co passenger ZG performs some totally out of sync stuff to throw all plans out of the window.
Decent comedy with some bittersweet moments thrown in.
3/5 in my book.

Death Race 2 - little known stars (except Sean Bean), and looks like a poor cousin to Death Race (Jason Statham is NOT in this film). Is marketed as a prequel, and went straight to DVD.
2/5 from me.
Old 9th February 2011, 10:35   #3327
Senior - BHPian

Finally I managed to see all the 10 movies that are nominated for the Best Movie category. The last one that I saw was the Winter's bone. It has been a great jouney to watch all the movie.
Here is my take on the oscars..(my personal take)

Best Movie: Must be between True Grit / King's speech
Best Director: Ethan & Joel Coen : True Grit
Best Actor: Jeff Bridges(True Grit)/ Jesse(Social Network)
Best Actress:... Natalie Portman – Black Swan / Annette Bening – The Kids Are All Right
Old 14th February 2011, 11:58   #3328
Senior - BHPian

Pirate Radio: This is the movie set in the 60s in england where the authorities went against a radio station which broke barriers and played rock and role music 24/7. The story revolves around a boy sent by his mom to the ship(Oops forgot that the radio station was on a ship) to stay with the crew and feel how life would be.

Very nice movie with some good music and couple of funny scenes. The acting by everyone is perfect for the roles they play and the second half shows them going against the law.

3.5/5 Worth a watch
Old 14th February 2011, 12:14   #3329
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Pirate Radio: This is the movie set in the 60s in england where the authorities went against a radio station which broke barriers and played rock and role music 24/7. The story revolves around a boy sent by his mom to the ship(Oops forgot that the radio station was on a ship) to stay with the crew and feel how life would be.

Very nice movie with some good music and couple of funny scenes. The acting by everyone is perfect for the roles they play and the second half shows them going against the law.

3.5/5 Worth a watch
This movie also goes by another name - "The boat that rocked". I was rather disappointed with the movie. I saw it with a lot of expectations. This was directed by Richard Curtis, who directed/written some of my favourite movies
- Notting Hill (Writer)
- Love Actually (Writer+Director)
- Four Weddings and a funeral (Writer)

But Pirate Radio wasn't patch on those other movies.
Old 14th February 2011, 12:22   #3330
Senior - BHPian

Watched "No Strings Attached" on Saturday. Predictable movie, but not bad.

Rating = Average = 2/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks