Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:30   #3376
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I beg to differ - Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are no 'ordinary' superhero movies. To begin with, Batman is the only 'Superhero' I know of without any superpowers as such, and is quite vulnerable. The movies bring that out beautifully, together with his dark side.
I am not saying they are not good movies. All I am saying is that Nolan's forte is psychological thrillers - he is amazing at that & he should continue with that. Even in his forte, he isn't a one trick pony like Night Shyamalan.

Memento, Prestige & Following were movies which blow you away. There arent too many directors who could have made those movies, let alone made them so well. I have rated Dark Knight & Begins higher than Following, but Following blows your mind. Dark Night was very enjoyable & very well done, but many other top directors could have directed those movies reasonably well even if Nolan may have done it better.

Last edited by carboy : 22nd February 2011 at 13:38.
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:46   #3377

Re: A Streetcar named desire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
I had heard a lot about this movie but somehow couldn't get a chance to see it. It stars one of my fav actors - Marlon Brando in his younger years and I must admit it was for him that I finally watched the movie.

It's an amazing movie dominated by a lot of dailogues and expressions specially from Vivien Leigh and some amusing and delightful angry outbursts from Brando as Stanley Kowalski. The movie might be slightly on the slower side but its very nicely edited (probably a little theatristic). Wouldn't want to discuss the story in detail for you can read up but I would like to recommend this as a must watch and a classic. Brando might have shone as Terry Malloy in On the Waterfront formally (oscars) but I believe his performance in this movie is very much equal (if not better). And I was surprised the movie won many awards except the character of Stanley Kowalski.

A must watch classic.

Rating - 4/5
This is one of my all time favorites!! I did a whole review on it for my Bachelors Degree too. And we also had to read the original play. Awesome! JUST AWESOME!
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:36   #3378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I Batman is the only 'Superhero' I know of without any superpowers as such, and is quite vulnerable.
Add Ironman to the same category, both are gadgets hero .
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:36   #3379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am not saying they are not good movies. All I am saying is that Nolan's forte is psychological thrillers - he is amazing at that & he should continue with that. Even in his forte, he isn't a one trick pony like Night Shyamalan.
Are you kidding? Night has made some of the most innovative films, he's anything but a one trick pony. It's become a trend to take digs at Shyamalan even though most of his movies are really good. Suddenly, Nolan worship has become fashionable after the average and ultra-hyped Inception. Classic example of how people's opinions get influenced by the media!

@humans
I'm a huge fan of The Phantom. Another dude fighting crime without superpowers. However. the movie starring Billy Zane was a disappointment. I hope someone does a better version.

@raihan (below)
I remember watching that movie when I was a child. Loved it! There's a similar movie that released recently called "Burning Bright". However it's not as good as SH or GATD.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 22nd February 2011 at 15:58.
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:45   #3380
BHPian

Amongst the lesser known movies, watched an old movie called 'Savage Harvest' few weeks back. It's a must watch for those who loved 'the ghost & the darkness'
Who knew lions can try so many innovative things when hungry
4/5

Last edited by raihan : 22nd February 2011 at 16:13.
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:49   #3381
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Are you kidding? Night has made some of the most innovative films, he's anything but a one trick pony. It's become a trend to take digs at Shyamalan even though most of his movies are really good. Suddenly, Nolan worship has become fashionable after the average and ultra-hyped Inception. Classic example of how people's opinion get influenced by the media!
Actually, I haven't seen Inception. I first watched Memento in 2003-2004 & then watched it again on the same day & then watched it once more over the same weekend. I then watched his earlier movie 'Following'. I then watched Insomnia & was a little disappointed thinking Nolan has fizzled out like Shymalan or Ram Gopal Varma. Then couple of years back, when I watched Prestige, I absolutely loved it.

I actually loved a few of Shyamalan's movies - Sixth Sense & Unbreakable are my favourite. Signs & Village were watchable. I even found 'Lady in the Water' to be an OK watch. But he is essentially a one trick pony - or may be two at the most. He isn't anywhere comparable to Nolan, who I would consider my #1 favourite director. I would blindly watch any Nolan movie without thinking twice. Whereas, with Shyamalan, I really had to think 20 times before I got the guts to watch 'Lady in the Water' because I was disappointed with most of his movies post Sixth Sense & Unbreakable.
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:56   #3382
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with Wolfheart here. I dont think Night is such a terrible director.

I loved his Sixth Sense & Unbreakable. Liked his Signs too. There is a certain aura to his movies which is almost same from movie to movie which is quiet drawing. Maybe some of it's because he shoots only in Philly.

I recently watched " The Happening" and forgot to review it here.

I actually found it good. A real decent watch and there was one scene where MW and actress go into a home to hide and come across an old lady. That was really creepy and even made me jump out of my skin.

3.5/5

Havent seen his other movies but, whatever little I saw of him. He certainly isnt a one trick pony.
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:06   #3383
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I agree with Wolfheart here. I dont think Night is such a terrible director.
You are attacking a straw man here. I don't think Night is a terrible director either.
Quote:
I loved his Sixth Sense & Unbreakable.
Me too. I have watched Sixth Sense 5-6 times & Unbreakable 3 times.
Quote:
Liked his Signs too.
I didn't. I liked Village & Lady in the Water marginally better than Signs, but all three are movies I wouldn't watch a second time.
I recently watched " The Happening" and forgot to review it here.

Quote:

I actually found it good. A real decent watch and there was one scene where MW and actress go into a home to hide and come across an old lady. That was really creepy and even made me jump out of my skin.

3.5/5
Let me queue it for a future watch.
Old 23rd February 2011, 03:06   #3384
Senior - BHPian

Watched About A Boy

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-1.jpg

The story is about a 39 year old guy who wants to remain single & be in the dating zone without commitments. He accidentally discovers that there is a single parents meeting where he can find his next catch. The problem is that he isnt a parent.

The story then revolves around how he gets involved with kid who's mother is a single parent & how he changes his life.

Nice romantic comedy which tends to loose the grip in between but then regains the plot. The movie is based on a Novel by Nick Hornby

3/5
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:11   #3385
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Natural Born Killers

Though directed by Oliver Stone, the original script is from Tarantino. So, you can imagine what the movie would be all about. Besides the title is also a give away.

Mickey and Mallory are lovers, psychic serial killers with a troubled childhood. They kill just for fun and kicks. The first half showcases some random killings and how they get caught. The second half is all about their time in prison. Through the media, they've become glorified icons and just manage to thrill everyone by creating a prison mutiny and their escape which is aided by some glory hunting media folks.

In a way, the movie sends out a message on what's wrong with the media and how they can play a role in many things. The starcast is brilliant and everyone looks more or less psyched - I guessed thats what Stone and Tarantino intended.

Well, I liked the movie inspite of the bloodshed and mindless killing. Tarantino fans should be at home watching this movie

Rating - 3/5
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-mv5bmti2ntu2nzc0mv5bml5banbnxkftztcwmzy1otm2mq._v1._sx338_sy500_.jpg  

Old 23rd February 2011, 13:24   #3386
Senior - BHPian

+1 Techno: Fun movie to watch.

Hakchiko: Its a story of a Akita dog which is a traditional jap breed of dogs. This dog is unique in that it recieves its master daily from the railway station and ones the master died it actually waited for nine years daily at the same station.

Based on a true story and is one tear jerker. Real touching tale on bonding which can never be understood.

4.5/5 Do watch will surely love it
Old 24th February 2011, 14:15   #3387
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Based on a true rags to riches story of Vince Papale, former Philadelphia Eagles football player. Vince played by Mark Wahlberg is a 30 year old bartender who is having a tough life and is barely managing to meet ends. He's a gifted footballer and gets his chance when the Eagles coach offers an open invite for prospects to shake up a few things. Vince not only manages to get through but becomes quite successful too.

The flim script slighly deviates from the true story but just manages to send across the message and a feel good factor. The movie is amazingly clean making it a perfect watch for families. I personally felt the story progressed without showcasing enough hardships faced by Vince during his climb which sometimes becomes hard to believe.

Anyway, nothing great but nothing bad. So it can be one time watch. I liked Elizabeth Banks

Rating - 2.5/5
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-invincible_movie.jpg  

Old 28th February 2011, 13:00   #3388
Senior - BHPian

Amore Perros:
Amores Perros (2000) - IMDb
A movie about 3 stories interlinked by an accident. The three stories are from three different layers of society. One story is about a guy trying to get enough money so that he can elope with the love of his life. Second about a model and a producer. And third about a homeless guy.
I thought this movie would go to the Pure Cinema thread but after watching the movie, i decided that it does not really belong there.
The movie does keep you glued to the screen and characters are so brilliantly brought out that you almost feel you are living them.
But do note that if you are an animal lover, specially a dog lover, you would do well to stay away from it.
Also, I think the length of 2.5 hours works against the film.

I'd give this movie a 3.5 out of 5.

I've got a few more lined up. Next one being Let The Right One In, picked from list of 100 Best Films of World Cinema.
The 100 Best Films Of World Cinema | 15. Let The Right One In | Empire | www.empireonline.com

Lets see how that goes.
Old 28th February 2011, 15:27   #3389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I've got a few more lined up. Next one being Let The Right One In, picked from list of 100 Best Films of World Cinema.
The 100 Best Films Of World Cinema | 15. Let The Right One In | Empire | www.empireonline.com

Lets see how that goes.
Let the Right One in, is an awesome movie. One of the best vampire movies ever. The movie has great atmosphere and great performances from the young actors and a good story. Do not expect a horror or action movie though. This movie is all about atmosphere. The movie was remade into English last year ( 'Let me In' ) and I've heard that it was good too.
Old 28th February 2011, 21:07   #3390
BHPian

what's the name of this movie

hey can anyone let me know the name of this movie - its about a legal tussle between a gun company and I am not sure about the other party - in the end -the Gun company attorney and the opposite party's attorney are related (brother and sister) and they intentionally play along so that the Gun company loses the case.- the attorneys in the movie are famous actors - it's a must watch for people who like court dramas

Most Viewed