Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2011, 16:36   #3661
Senior - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Penélope Cruz in Pirates of the Caribbean - On Stranger Tides opening this weekend. This is so exciting!! However, I am going to miss Keira Knightley - I love her accent. I only hope this sequel/prequel thing is not spoiling the series like so many other series.

Any other PoTC fans here?
Present sir!

I have been waiting for this instalment for a long time too. Keira is good, but I am in a way grateful that she and Orlando Bloom will not continue (at least as lead actors) and that we have a brand new story instead of rattling on about the same old. It remains to be seen how Rob Marshall directs this venture and I hope there will be a fifth one too.
Oh, it does help that Penelope is in; it would be fun to see a mean streak to her.
Old 17th May 2011, 16:36   #3662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Penélope Cruz in Pirates of the Caribbean - On Stranger Tides opening this weekend. This is so exciting!! However, I am going to miss Keira Knightley - I love her accent. I only hope this sequel/prequel thing is not spoiling the series like so many other series.

Me!
And i am glad cruz is there as i never liked knightley anyways.
Somehow from the trailors i feel this film might disappoint us.
Old 17th May 2011, 16:52   #3663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1 more in the club here.

Yeah, even I miss Kiera Knightley. Somehow I don't think Penelope Cruz fits into to a movie like PotC. I'm looking forward to the movie hope it does not disappoint
Old 17th May 2011, 17:27   #3664
BHPian

Nice to know there are a few of us here. I still have not got rid of the excitement and extreme pleasure of watching the first series. However, from the user reviews I read on IMDB, it looks like its a little bit of a disappointment.

From a reviewer on IMDB
"By not having Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom in it, the film didn't feel like just a rehash of all the other PotC films. Penelope Cruz and Ian McShane really added a lot to the film, and I loved Sam Claflin's performance. But of course you have to have Johnny Depp, because it wouldn't be PotC without him, and Geoffrey Rush was spectacular as always. All in all, this has everything you'd expect from PotC: swashbuckling, sea creatures, sword-fighting, and lots of great comedy; but the new cast members keep it feeling fresh."
Source Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011) - IMDb
Old 19th May 2011, 17:42   #3665
Distinguished - BHPian

Life has been quite busy and my movie watching rate has gone down considerably.

I got "300" starring Gerard Butler, delivered. Reviews please?
Old 19th May 2011, 17:53   #3666
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

hoo boy!!!

Yes sir, it is VERY very good sir!!

missing this one is like, sorta, missing gladiator, aint it!
Old 19th May 2011, 18:54   #3667
BHPian

Quote:

I found this to be more style and less substance. The fights are cool in the beginning but I got bored halfway. Zack Snyder has a great visual flair and style but he is not exactly great at telling stories. Some of the lines might make you cringe ( "Spartan, come back with your shield or on it", "Tonight we dine in Hell", etc. ). Then there is the whole sequence with the queen and the traitor guy which was not in the original graphic novel and which i found to be completely unnecessary ( it was funny listening to the queen talk about freedom, liberty etc ).
Some of the scenes, you can see from a mile away what is going to happen ( eg: the scene where the king's friends son is killed ).

Overall, the movie has a great visual style and great presentation, but little other than that. The fights are great and the visuals are amazing but the dialogues and story suck.
Newpunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 21:29   #3668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In essence, " This, is, SPARTAAAA!!!!!"

Doesn't hold a candle to movies like Gladiator in my opinion.
Old 19th May 2011, 21:44   #3669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I found this to be more style and less substance. The fights are cool in the beginning but I got bored halfway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
+1 to Both, Gladiator was simply brilliant, 300 is all special effects & style
Old 20th May 2011, 11:36   #3670
BHPian

In case if you haven't watched he movie yet, plenty of blood and gore. full of slow motion special effects. In all, very much watchable. Watched it long time ago and don't remember exactly but I believe its not kids friendly.
Old 22nd May 2011, 04:52   #3671
Senior - BHPian

Watched POTC 4: On Stranger Tides today. It was enjoyable (but not as good as 1st and 2nd) and definitely worth a watch for POTC fans. In the first half there were some dull moments but 2nd half was a nice adventurous ride. 6.5/10. And oh, loved Penelope Cruze .
BTW, watched it in 3D and this time I enjoyed 3D more than Avatar, the seat does matter a lot it seems. I was not very far from the screen(5th from Screen) and in the middle.

EDIT: Just saw the previous discussion about Keira Knightly Vs. Penelope Cruze, well, I would've loved to see Penelope Cruze in the previous movies also .

Last edited by kaushik_s : 22nd May 2011 at 04:58.
Old 22nd May 2011, 14:19   #3672
Senior - BHPian

Two movies in 2 days.

Fast and Furious 5- After the first one this one will be my next choice. fast,grippy,lotssa car smashing and Rock and vindiesel..What else we want to be a paisa vasool experience!
Story may have tons of loopholes but the movie is worth a watch in a cinema hall once.
Dwayne johnson makes Vin diesel look so small

Rating-4/5

POTC- A tad disappointing. Less action and slow paced. Ya it had the wit and humour of johnny depp and the beautiful locales along with the beautiful mermaids but the movie was missing the soul of the earlier series.
I would have loved to see penelope in earlier ones too!
It could have been shorten by 20mins atleast.
Guess the end dropped a hint of another sequel with penelope in it!

Rating-3/5

P.s- Just saw the gladiator v 300 debate. I will agree with everyone. Gladiator was a masterpiece and 300 is just effects. I feel Russell crowe is an underrated actor. All the movies i had seen of him he gives such brilliant performaces.

Last edited by harry10 : 22nd May 2011 at 14:23.
Old 22nd May 2011, 19:51   #3673
Senior - BHPian

Last night I literally ran into the theater at last minute to watch POTC : OST - and I have a gripe or two about the movie.

1. No Keira Knightley
2. Weak and disconnected storyline
3. Possibly another sequel

Good things - nice special effects , especially the mermaids. Also - the locales are a nice sight.

3/5 in my book.
Old 22nd May 2011, 22:50   #3674
Senior - BHPian

POC - 3D is quite decent.

Senseless movie - of course. Good timepass - worth the ticket.

The mermaid bit was awesome in 3D of course. Storyline is disconnected like hell but Jack Sparrow is nice. Penelope Cruz doesn't really have much to do and her weight gain is obvious.

Complete paisa vasool if you think of it like going to watch a sort of Lethal Weapon 4
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:58   #3675
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the feedback guys. I absolutely agree with all your views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
In essence, " This, is, SPARTAAAA!!!!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Yes sir, it is VERY very good sir!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
+1 to Both, Gladiator was simply brilliant, 300 is all special effects & style
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punzabi View Post
In case if you haven't watched he movie yet, plenty of blood and gore. full of slow motion special effects. In all, very much watchable. Watched it long time ago and don't remember exactly but I believe its not kids friendly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I found this to be more style and less substance. The fights are cool in the beginning but I got bored halfway. Zack Snyder has a great visual flair and style but he is not exactly great at telling stories. Some of the lines might make you cringe ( "Spartan, come back with your shield or on it", "Tonight we dine in Hell", etc. ).
Overall, the movie has a great visual style and great presentation, but little other than that. The fights are great and the visuals are amazing but the dialogues and story suck.
Newpunter, your review was absolutely SPOT ON. This movie is graphically and visually extremely appealling and fight scenes were designed superbly with great attention to detail and slow motion scenes which were definetly not child friendly.

Loved the entire movie, the storyline and performances too. But, like everyone said this movie had the most cheesy dialogues seen in a long time. It can be compared to Mithun's dialogues in some places. for e.g: Spartans, tonight we dine in hell.

And, I was not able to understand why GB was stressing so much when he says his dialogues. He faces practically contorts to an ugly extent. In comparison, Russel Crowe in Galdiator was composed but, still oozed menace.

Overall, it cannot be compared to Gladiator which was in a different league altogther. But, this movie is very much watchable for its outstanding visuals.

P.S: I particularly liked the scene & dialogue in begining when messenger from xerxes comes and GB says: Madness? THIS is Sparta..And, kicks him into the abyss. Must have rewinded it a few times. Whew

P.S 1: Next in line "Secratariat" the horse movie. Reviews?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks