Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2011, 17:37   #3736
BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Husk (2011)
Genre: Horror
Rating: 1.5/5
Good: A road, car and huge corn field is the pivot and movie revolves around it. Not that horrifying or interesting..

Next in Queue:
Priest (2011)
The Hit List (2011)
Old 9th June 2011, 19:10   #3737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Saw X-Men First Class

Attachment 555206

It has all the bells & whistles that you expect from this franchise, great special effects & some great mutants with amazing/weird looks & powers.

This part helps you understand the relation between Professor X & Magneto. It also helps in understanding how & why they are what they are. Overall a great just that I found some scenes not as crisp as I would have wanted them to be, the last scene in fight was kind of dull.

There are some nice humorous scenes which you would enjoy if you know the characters.

It was fun to see people clapping & hooting when the most famous X-Man makes a guest appearance

3.5/5

I am going to watch X-Men First Class tomorrow, Are each movie under the x-men series related, I mean would it be difficult to understand this movie if haven't watched the earlier versions.

I am not a movie guy, so my question may sound very basic to you.
Old 9th June 2011, 19:26   #3738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
I am going to watch X-Men First Class tomorrow, Are each movie under the x-men series related, I mean would it be difficult to understand this movie if haven't watched the earlier versions.

I am not a movie guy, so my question may sound very basic to you.
if anything,this will help you understand the earlier ones better.
if addicted,then catch origins-x1-2-3......in that fashion
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 19:28   #3739
Senior - BHPian

Mayank is right, go ahead & watch the movie, no worries
Old 10th June 2011, 02:01   #3740
BHPian

Just saw X Men, not worth it unless you are a major fan of Marvel comics

2.5/5
Old 10th June 2011, 07:51   #3741
Senior - BHPian

Blue Crush (2002)

decently made surf flick. Acting is average for most part. Don't need histrionics. Girls looks hawt in bikini's, guys have toned body, cinematography is great, especially the water footage near waves. Love the way surfers emerge from inside the giant waves.

A timepass watch. Pretty predictable, feel good movie. The only good thing is as said before - surfing as a sport.

Buy a DVD, i can assure you, the sound effects will blow you away and so will cinematography.

P.S: I think the surfer are not actors(kate and some others) but just a CGI done, but whoever has done it as a double deserves an applause.

3/5

Blue Crush 2 (2011)

decently made water sport (surfer) movie. Loved the Africa shown. Waves at JB is awesome.

Everything else, same as first part reviewed above. Go for it if you like feel good movies.

3/5
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 14:13   #3742
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched "The Man" starring Samuel Jackson and Eugene Levy

Story about a tough as nails and hard talking police officer (Jackson) teaming up with a mistaken identity dental tools salesman (Levy) to catch the bad guys (gun dealers) in Detroit.

Amazing combination and a terrific, terrific chemistry between the two of them with Jackson mouthing some hard dialogues coupled with Levy's subtle humour. One of the best combinations seen a long time.

I am huge fan of Jackson and absolutely loved him in this movie. Levy is almost like a carbon copy of Steve Martin in terms of humour quotient with Steve at a much higher level.

Its a MUST watch for comedy and action rolled into one lovers.

4.5/5
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 14:32   #3743
BHPian

Finished off with the 'GranTourino'. Clint Eastwood at his oldie best, didn't like the ending somehow. My stake 3.5/5.

Saw 'Hanna' too - All about the girl raised by her father in some desolated area of the Arctic. Trained to be an assassin, on a mission across Europe, hunting Cate Blanchet, while she's hunting for her too. Nice moves by the girl. - 3.5/5

Next in line - Letters from Iwo Jima.
Darjeeling Limited.
I am number Four

Last edited by bikxsans660 : 10th June 2011 at 14:33.
Old 10th June 2011, 15:03   #3744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Watched "The Man" starring Samuel Jackson and Eugene Levy
4.5/5
Mobikeji, you are too generous.
I found it to be an average movie, or maybe a bit above average, but Eugene Levy rocks in his role!

My rating : 2.5/5
Old 10th June 2011, 15:08   #3745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Mobikeji, you are too generous.
I found it to be an average movie, or maybe a bit above average, but Eugene Levy rocks in his role!

My rating : 2.5/5
What's with the Ji? Can we lose that please?

I am generous? Actually, I dont think so. If i dont like a movie, I am pretty harsh on everyone associated with that movie

Maybe, its been a while, I laughed so much and felt so good about a movie that possibly influenced my rating to a large extent.

Even if i went a bit overboard, it certainly deserves a 4/5 due to not a single minute you feeling bored for entire length of movie.

On this thread, the most generous member is "Chevelle". I note all his rating are good. Chevelle, would love to see your hate list? lol....
Old 10th June 2011, 18:33   #3746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikxsans660 View Post
Finished off with the 'GranTourino'. Clint Eastwood at his oldie best, didn't like the ending somehow. My stake 3.5/5.

Saw 'Hanna' too - All about the girl raised by her father in some desolated area of the Arctic. Trained to be an assassin, on a mission across Europe, hunting Cate Blanchet, while she's hunting for her too. Nice moves by the girl. - 3.5/5

Next in line - Letters from Iwo Jima.
Darjeeling Limited.
I am number Four
If I may suggest - please watch 'Letters from Iwo Jima' after finishing 'Flags of our fathers'.
Old 10th June 2011, 21:06   #3747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
On this thread, the most generous member is "Chevelle". I note all his rating are good. Chevelle, would love to see your hate list? lol....
I try and evaluate all parameters of a movie. So my rating is based on everything. Nothing in particular. I have seen movies which are so crap that i closed them in 10-15 mins which i don't bother to write review on as it will only get 0/5 from my side.

Like humor and laugh is what influenced you to give 4.5 in last movie you saw. Similarly for me, it has to be a combination of everything, like direction, acting, sets, costume, sound, cinematography, dialogs, action and what note. i try and find a good side to every movie i see.

Like the last series i saw - Blue Crush. Most people will find it a bit boring those who don't like water surfing. But i didn't. Why? i was too busy ogling at girls or listening to sound track or watching what's happening in background. That keeps me entertained not to mention other important aspects like direction, action and cinematography along with tight editing.

I for sure know, making movie is a complex and hard work. Some are disgusting, but some are worth it. And did i mention my 2.5 is below average and 3 is average.

Sorry for long explanation. i will definitely post my 'hate list'. stay tuned for that.

Last edited by chevelle : 10th June 2011 at 21:07.
Old 10th June 2011, 23:34   #3748
Senior - BHPian

Limitless-
Quiet different. I wish the amazing thing(cant divulge more as it may give away the story) shown in the movie happens in real life too
I liked the ending for a change.
Recommended.

Rating-3.5/5
Old 11th June 2011, 21:03   #3749
Distinguished - BHPian

Shinjuku Incident
a departure from Jackie chans usual awesomeness.
Drama from him, underworld, nice!!
If you want a longish, thinking man's Jackie chan movie, this is it.
no fights(as per the usual stuf), per se.
6/5!
Old 13th June 2011, 10:30   #3750
Senior - BHPian

Watched "West is West'' last evening.

I would give 4/5.Om Puri and Ila Arun at their best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks