Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2011, 12:33   #3811
Team-BHP Support

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
I agree that most of the times the movie is a letdown after a very compelling book, but then book as a medium itself is so involving that it is hard to beat.
Godfather is one of the exceptions for me atleast where the movie is not only on par with the book (as it follows in detail) but even surpasses it at times.
Agree, I found Godfather movie quite watchable, and a pretty good representation of the book (and some heavily impressive acting).

Recently Da Vinci Code was a huge disappointment. But to make it feel as a better effort, they came up with Angels & Demons. The latter was having some huge deviations from the book.
Old 24th June 2011, 12:53   #3812
BHPian

Senna 2010 (Film/Documentary)

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-senna.jpg

What a brilliantly put together documentary! Travels along with racers from his carting days to his entry and rise in the world of Formula 1 surrounded by hard core driver-aids free racing, money, celebrities and politics of the sport.

The director seemingly of Indian origin Asif kapadia has put together some well collected footage of the actual star Ayrton Senna, Prost, Ron Dennis etc and built it up into a gripping story. There are moments where you totally feel for his sensitivity and there are some which puts you in awe on his ruthless and aggressive driving style which catapulted him as the best ever racer. He literally holds the car by the scruff of the necks and throws it around tracks.

I wont give up anything on the story line but there is this one instance like his debut race in Monaco where with an inferior Toleman where he takes on almost everyone on track and comes to 2nd place and about to take on Prost when Prost asks the race offcials to call off the race due to heavy rain. Prost does win and spends time chatting away on the podium with the Whos who and no one talks to Senna. He just gets down wryly and smiles, he knows he could have won

Just watch it. Editing could have been better.

Rating: 4.5*/5*
Must watch

Last edited by redrage : 24th June 2011 at 12:55.
Old 25th June 2011, 08:40   #3813
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Watched Taken
I found Taken to be a super androgynous movie that was irresistible. Of course it has many flaws and masalas, but Liam Neeson looked every bit like a remorseless man-killer. Reminded me of the Chuck Norris type 80s flicks where one guy does all the work and gets the babe at the end. In this case babe was a pun and it is not 80s anymore, it is o-teens.

Speaking of Liam Neeson, picked up The Phantom Menace last week. Was hunting for the DVD for a long time. Either it was part of a six pack entire Star Wars set or not available. Somehow I loved this movie more than any of the other prequels. Specially the pod race is so engrossing. I had set the home theater to maximum bass to hear "Sebulba's pod sound. And on the large screen the movie came alive. I think it was released in 1998 or 99. After 12-13 years, the effects still look as good as any modern CGI movie. Star War movies never had much character building scope and this movie follows that tradition. The last fight between Sith Lord and twin Jedi Knights has super grace coupled with fast moving trumpet based soundtrack. Highly memorable and recommended.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-pm2.jpg

Name:  PM1.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  6.7 KB
Old 25th June 2011, 14:04   #3814
Senior - BHPian

Cars 2:
Saw it at Cinepolis in 3D yesterday.
As far as the graphics and the sound goes, the experience was superb. What else can you expect from Pixar.
The movie, as such, was of course not as good as the first one. There should have been more races. And the whole oil conspiracy/world domination angle was not really required. Still, the movie had its funny moments. McQueen doesn't really play the central role in this film. It is Mater's film all the way through. So you can expect some funny moments in the film.
And I absolutely loved Francesco. He is my avatar now
The movie is a good one time watch, only in a good theater. I don't think Pixar has lived upto its reputation here when it came to the story line.

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 25th June 2011, 14:32   #3815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post

IMO, the Lord of the Rings series are among the few movies that have really done justice to the books given the length and details of the books. I can hardly wait for 'The Hobbit.'
Yup, LOTR is one where I liked the movie much more than the book. For me the 2nd part (The Two Towers) was pretty boring in the book but it was a totally opposite feeling while watching the movie.
For Bourne series initially I was like what in the name of God they have done to such a nice book. But then I started appreciating the movies as they've tried to be different and set it up in the present era instead of the timeline depicted in the book and it was a job nicely done.
Old 25th June 2011, 15:45   #3816
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Yup, LOTR is one where I liked the movie much more than the book. For me the 2nd part (The Two Towers) was pretty boring in the book but it was a totally opposite feeling while watching the movie.
Could not agree with you more. Actually the extended LOTR movies are better than the books if you ask me, because they have trimmed some of the unnecessary fat.

Have you seen the extended version of the Two Towers? It is like watching an all new movie when compared to the theater version. In fact all the three extended versions are a must have for the home collection.

Last edited by dot : 25th June 2011 at 15:46.
Old 25th June 2011, 18:47   #3817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Could not agree with you more. Actually the extended LOTR movies are better than the books if you ask me, because they have trimmed some of the unnecessary fat.

Have you seen the extended version of the Two Towers? It is like watching an all new movie when compared to the theater version. In fact all the three extended versions are a must have for the home collection.
Just today morning, I was watching the LOTR trilogy (for the first time, I'm ashamed to admit ) and here I see a discussion on the very same movies. Speaking of extended versions, I have all three. Planning on completing it tonight.

Also watched two more movies last night
Adjustment Bureau:
Its based on a fictional story about a group of people who set things right again once a plan goes off its intended course. When a politician falls in love with an aspiring dancer, they are forced to step in.
An average watch. I'd give it a 3/5

How to train your Dragon:
Its about a island of Vikings, where the head's son is far removed from the 'normal' people of the island. The islanders are regularly disturbed by pests of a different kind. The head's son, Hiccup, happens to hit a very feared dragon by chance. He then nurses it back to health away from the eyes of the islanders, and it becomes his pet. There's a very nice fight sequence at the end.
4/5

Last edited by shamik.bose : 25th June 2011 at 18:56.
shamik.bose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2011, 20:21   #3818
BHPian

CARS 2: Less racing... more 007... It is ok, but not as good as CARS 1.
Old 25th June 2011, 23:47   #3819
BHPian

Watched Paul yesterday. Hilarious movie.Never thought aliens could be this fun.

Paul (2011) - IMDb

Last edited by mithunkb : 25th June 2011 at 23:49.
Old 26th June 2011, 12:54   #3820
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
And I absolutely loved Francesco.
Had no idea that it was John Turturro voicing Francesco before the show. I think the character was a stand out due to him. When the credits rolled out, my suspicion held true. He has been making some good moves recently after the Transformers (1) movie. I liked JT in the Zohan movie also.

Otherwise, as you said, Cars 2 is a one time watch. The races are very well done but they always peter out due to the side action. But the engine notes are very satisfying. Frankly I didnt understand the central theme of the movie; if is for McQueen or Mater? or friendship or the races or the oil thing? And what was the mini Toy Story for?

There are many nice in-references. Did you catch the one quick flash of the Gusteau shop (Ratatouille) in Paris.

Anyways the best part of the whole thing was the trailer of the The Lion King. The DVD has been out of circulation for years. Hope it will be on the shelves soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunkb View Post
Watched Paul yesterday. Hilarious movie.Never thought aliens could be this fun.
OMG, another Pegg-Frost movie?

Last edited by dot : 26th June 2011 at 13:01.
Old 27th June 2011, 13:58   #3821
BHPian

I watched

The Adjustment Bureau, a good story with some nice visuals. The ending could have been better. Overall, good one time watch. 3/5

X-Men First Class, This is a prequel to X-Men trilogy but dated after Wolverine i guess. The Magneto actually stole his helmet from shaw then . The special effects are good and we get to see some new mutants like angel, beast etc.

Quirks:
1. Professor X still had legs when he went to visit Jean in X-Men 2. But in this prequel, he lost his legs already, even before he met Jean ! isnt he supposed to walk around till then ?
2. Steak is taking sides with Magneto @ the end. There is no mention of her powers to heal herself/age. So if Magneto & prof X can become tht old, then why not steak ?

For the story & visuals the movie can be reated 4/5 . But i am still thinking the 2 points above. There could be more such minor quirks
Old 27th June 2011, 14:16   #3822
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
I watched

The Adjustment Bureau, a good story with some nice visuals. The ending could have been better. Overall, good one time watch. 3/5

X-Men First Class, This is a prequel to X-Men trilogy but dated after Wolverine i guess. The Magneto actually stole his helmet from shaw then . The special effects are good and we get to see some new mutants like angel, beast etc.

Quirks:
1. Professor X still had legs when he went to visit Jean in X-Men 2. But in this prequel, he lost his legs already, even before he met Jean ! isnt he supposed to walk around till then ?
2. Steak is taking sides with Magneto @ the end. There is no mention of her powers to heal herself/age. So if Magneto & prof X can become tht old, then why not steak ?

For the story & visuals the movie can be reated 4/5 . But i am still thinking the 2 points above. There could be more such minor quirks

welcome to the marvel slipppery slidy storylines!!
I almost shouted a "c'mon!!!" at the end when he gets shot in the spine!
but kept quiet as i didnt want to be called the "comic-book guy"!

Wolverine is older than most characters in the marvel universe.
probably only characters like akhenaten are older.

As for mystique, she's a shapeshifter, so she just keeps shifting into a younger self.

PS:you had me confused when you sied "steak"!
is that some other name for mystique?
Old 27th June 2011, 14:35   #3823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

welcome to the marvel slipppery slidy storylines!!
I almost shouted a "c'mon!!!" at the end when he gets shot in the spine!
but kept quiet as i didnt want to be called the "comic-book guy"!

Wolverine is older than most characters in the marvel universe.
probably only characters like akhenaten are older.

As for mystique, she's a shapeshifter, so she just keeps shifting into a younger self.

PS:you had me confused when you sied "steak"!
is that some other name for mystique?
lol.. i meant mystique, the shape shifter ofcourse ! sorry, i wrote in what i and my wife call her, miss steak

i didnt like prof X losing his legs in this prequel at least. Looked so stupid coz he could walk in Xmen 2. ha ha

Now looking forward to Transformers 3D, releasing on wednesday. I m watching it in digital 3D @IMAX on wednesday itself. It makes a lot of diff to watch a movie like this in 3D, in IMAX on releasing day ! I will reveal the dark of the moon here soon ! lol
Old 27th June 2011, 14:40   #3824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post

There are many nice in-references. Did you catch the one quick flash of the Gusteau shop (Ratatouille) in Paris.
I knew that face looked familiar! But just couldn't place it! Well done there!

Anyway, so I followed up Cars 2 with Kung Fu Panda 2. I liked this sequel more. Po has changed and yet, is somehow still the same. The faint hint of romance brewing between hardcore and Po was also sweet. The jokes and cracks were of the same level as the original one and the story seemed to be quite a natural progression from the first part.

Peace!
Inner peace!

Amitoj
Old 27th June 2011, 14:45   #3825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
For Bourne series initially I was like what in the name of God they have done to such a nice book. But then I started appreciating the movies as they've tried to be different and set it up in the present era instead of the timeline depicted in the book and it was a job nicely done.
Lord of the Rings is the greatest movie trilogy ever made in Hollywood. It's loyal to the original novel. And it ends where the novel ends. Now Peter Jackson, himself, is directing the prequel to the LOTR - "The Hobbit". It will be released in two parts with first part scheduled to release in December-2012. Many of the actors will reprise their roles, including Gandalf, Legolas & Gollum.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks