Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2011, 14:56   #3946
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched " Courage under Fire" starring Denzel Washington, Matt Damon, Lou Damiond Phillips and Meg Ryan.

What a splendid movie. It's a very well made movie based on flawed political decision for a hidden reason. Its breezy and gripping at the same time and each and everyone acted very well.

Amongst all, apart from DW, Lou Diamond Philips excelled. He seems to be a fine actor, any other movies of him others can recommend?

A must watch

4/5

Watched "Coach Carter" starring Samuel L.Jackson

Oh boy! this movie is an epic and is a perfect example for inspiration, acheiving goals in life with a vision that's not short sighted.

SJ becomes a coach to a school basketball team who are unruly and indisciplined in a small town in California. How he transforms that bunch of unruly students to become winners is the gist of the story.

Entire team speaks the "black" people's language. It's fun to hear that slang

Great performance of SJ and all others as well.

A must must watch

5/5 ( I am normally stingy and dont give 4.5 or 5/5. But, this movie deserves it like no other)

P.S: Next in Line "Inside Man" starring Denzel Washington and Clive Owen. Reviews Please?
Old 1st August 2011, 15:49   #3947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Watched "Coach Carter" starring Samuel L.Jackson

5/5 ( I am normally stingy and dont give 4.5 or 5/5. But, this movie deserves it like no other)

P.S: Next in Line "Inside Man" starring Denzel Washington and Clive Owen. Reviews Please?
on Coach Carter (owuld not give it a 5 though, personal choice)

Inside Man
Story is good and is narrated at a decent pace with enough twists and turns (not fast enough to confuse an average viewer)... Liked the ending too... DW and Clive Owens, both acted well in it.. All in all, a good watch...
Old 1st August 2011, 17:40   #3948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good movie with twists and turns albeit at a slow pace or rather as Nikhil has put it - a decent pace!

And IIRC, this is the movie with the Dil Se song at the beginning of the credits. I may be wrong but i remember it was a DW movie with the credits playing Chaiyya Chaiyya music at the beginning to my utter surprise.
Old 1st August 2011, 18:27   #3949
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
And IIRC, this is the movie with the Dil Se song at the beginning of the credits. I may be wrong but i remember it was a DW movie with the credits playing Chaiyya Chaiyya music at the beginning to my utter surprise.
You remember it quite right Abhinav. . It surprised me too.

The movie moves quite slow, but its gets interesting towards the end.
Old 1st August 2011, 21:15   #3950
BANNED

Quote:
3.5/5

Starts off well & but doesn't manage to hold it.
Still not a bad one time watch.
Old 1st August 2011, 21:29   #3951
Senior - BHPian

Had a marathon Run this weekend

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-hpdh_part2.jpg

The movie was usual HP affair & that's what disappointed me, after all these years the effects were all the same with nothing better than what has been already showed. Then again the story seemed to have lot of broken pieces which I am sure would be felt by only those who have not read the books.

The biggest downer was to see an Army of Voldemort, from being someone who nobody talks about forget seeing him, it was difficult to imagine so many followers suddenly.

Also as a last part I would have expected them to do a recap of sorts which they didnt.

The older kids somehow didnt exhibit the same innocence they did in the initial Movies.

3/5

Then a Watched a few movies about which I had read on this thread

The Sentinel

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-thesentinel.jpg

Brilliant Movie, its a movie about a Guard to the First lady, who is made a scape goat in a plot to kill the President. Interesting Narration, great direction & brilliant performances by the star cast. The only thing which was a bit of a downer was the exact reason behind the president's assassination, it was not much detailed.

4.5/5

Unbreakable

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-unbreakable..jpg

Old movie but hadn't seen it one shot before so watched it again. This is the only other movie other than Sixth Sense by Shyamlan which I liked, I found the others pretty lame.

The story is about a guy (Samuel Jackson) who is very fragile as in he keeps breaking his bones in small accidents & his journey to find a guy who is just opposite of him i.e. Unbreakable. This leads him to Bruce Willis who is unaware of this special gift.

The movie shows their confrontations & realization of a theory by Sam's character which sounds non-existing until he discovers Bruce. While Bruce is happy to have discovered his strengths he is pained & shocked to learn what lengths Sam has gone to find him.

3/5

The Lincoln Lawyer

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-lincoln-lawyer-2011.jpg

Again brilliant movie great direction, brilliant performances. This is a story of successful Lawyer who rides in a Lincoln car. The story is about an apparently innocent guy who asks for this lawyer for a simple case. Its only later during his investigation that the lawyer realizes that his client is not as innocent as he thought he was. Not only that but also that he is dangerous man who is a threat to the lawyer's family & there is little he could do legally to get rid of him. So he does it in his own style & that's where the fun is.

4.5/5
Old 2nd August 2011, 01:12   #3952
Senior - BHPian

Cowboys and Aliens - A complete mashup of genres that's more messy than classy. 'They call me trinity' meets 'Indiana Jones' meets 'Predator'. Expected a lot more from this film. 2.5/5
Old 2nd August 2011, 14:05   #3953
Senior - BHPian

FINALLY saw "Lord of War".

I am searching for words to describe the brilliance of this film. Nic Cage was phenomenal. The dialogues will leave an impression on you:

"That's the secret to survival. Never go to war. Especially with yourself".

"There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every 12 people on the planet. The question is ........... how do we arm the other 11."

Mayankk - the opening scene (life of a bullet?) was sheer brilliance. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Overall - JHAKAAAASSSS.

A must must must must watch.

4.5/5

Why minus 0.5 - the hyena scene (for those who have seen it) was a bit over the top. Also, I feel the guy who played his brother (Vitali) could have done a better job. In fact, I do not think the charecter was very well developed.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:55   #3954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Why minus 0.5 - the hyena scene (for those who have seen it) was a bit over the top.
I think it was meant to be that way, with his mind playing games on him and all that. After all, he had just killed a man , and wasnt exactly off substances himself.
I found it to be a great one time watch, and was very entertaining.
4/5 .
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:17   #3955
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Good movie with twists and turns albeit at a slow pace or rather as Nikhil has put it - a decent pace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilB View Post
on Coach Carter (owuld not give it a 5 though, personal choice)

Inside Man
Story is good and is narrated at a decent pace with enough twists and turns (not fast enough to confuse an average viewer)... Liked the ending too... DW and Clive Owens, both acted well in it.. All in all, a good watch...
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
3.5/5

Starts off well & but doesn't manage to hold it.
Still not a bad one time watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
You remember it quite right Abhinav. . It surprised me too.

The movie moves quite slow, but its gets interesting towards the end.
Thanks for all your inputs. Yes, it was just a decent watch. I didnt find the movie too gripping nor pacy. It's infact quite slow and moves at its own pace.

First time, I didnt quite like DW's acting. He seemed just like your average hollywood joe. For that matter, CO was much better.

Chaiye Chaiye song is there in opening credits and it took me also by surprise. I wonder why they chose that song, it was totally out of place with Manhattan in the background

3/5

P.S: Next in line " Cliffhanger" starring Sylvestor Stallone. Saw this one in a theatre way back. Hope to rekindle those memories.

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd August 2011 at 17:19.
Old 2nd August 2011, 19:23   #3956
Senior - BHPian

Watched Lord of War

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-low.jpg

While I liked the movie, I didn't find it gripping, I had a couple of issues with the movie. Its been shot in a documentary style, the majority of the movie goes in a narration mode.
Nicholas Cage Cage doesnt look like a Ukranian from any angle

The movie provides a good insight into the Weapons Trade Scene & is otherwise well shot.

3/5
Old 4th August 2011, 00:02   #3957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
FINALLY saw "Lord of War".

I am searching for words to describe the brilliance of this film. Nic Cage was phenomenal. The dialogues will leave an impression on you:

"That's the secret to survival. Never go to war. Especially with yourself".

"There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every 12 people on the planet. The question is ........... how do we arm the other 11."

Mayankk - the opening scene (life of a bullet?) was sheer brilliance. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Overall - JHAKAAAASSSS.

A must must must must watch.

4.5/5

Why minus 0.5 - the hyena scene (for those who have seen it) was a bit over the top. Also, I feel the guy who played his brother (Vitali) could have done a better job. In fact, I do not think the charecter was very well developed.
THe unique and ironic thing about this movie is that the props used for AKMs are real AK 47s. As creating so many fake AKs' was found out to be very expensive for creators of the movie. Yup! American labor costs.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 00:16   #3958
Senior - BHPian

Watched Fallen

Name:  Fallen 1998 .png
Views: 1392
Size:  167.8 KB

This is a supernatural movie which begins with execution of a serial killer who is laughing & dancing all the way to his execution gas chamber. Before his execution he meets the police detective Hobbs (Denzel Washington) & finds him interesting.

The Serial Killer who is actually a demon known as Azazel has the capability of entering a human body by a simple touch. What starts after the execution is a series of Murders & their relation with detective Hobbs. The detective later on realizes that his enemy is not a human but a demon & then plans to kill it based on some knowledge that he founds during his investigation. Does he succeed? You have to watch the movie to find it out

The Hindi Movie Aks seems to be inspired from this movie, not copied for sure but themes are similar with slightly different treatment.

3.5/5
Old 4th August 2011, 12:51   #3959
BHPian

This might no be the apt thread to post my query, but doing so since this thread is so active compared to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...-player-4.html

How do i make Windows Media Player play subtitles. Tried watching OldBoy (Korean) with English subtitles, which i had downloaded sometime earlier, the subtitle content file is in the same folder as the movie, and Subtitles are turned on in Windows Media Player. But it still didn't get displayed. So ended up watching a diff movie instead.
Old 4th August 2011, 12:55   #3960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
This might no be the apt thread to post my query, but doing so since this thread is so active compared to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...-player-4.html

How do i make Windows Media Player play subtitles. Tried watching OldBoy (Korean) with English subtitles, which i had downloaded sometime earlier, the subtitle content file is in the same folder as the movie, and Subtitles are turned on in Windows Media Player. But it still didn't get displayed. So ended up watching a diff movie instead.
subs are in srt/sub, yea?
why dont you use VLC?

if you want to stick to WMP, install this directsobsub codec(google it).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks