Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2011, 13:15   #3961
BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
subs are in srt/sub, yea?
why dont you use VLC?

if you want to stick to WMP, install this directsobsub codec(google it).
Yes in srt

I've hooked up my HDTV (Windows 7, 64 bit) to the CPU via HDMI, in VLC, even in full screen mode the taskbar is displayed, which i find irritating. Don't know why that's happening, never happened on my earlier Win XP Desktop.

Will try the directsobsub codec tomorrow, thanks.
Old 4th August 2011, 21:38   #3962
Senior - BHPian

Watched A Time To Kill

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-attk_.jpg

The movie is based on John Grisham's Novel of same name. The story is about a Black father who kills two racists white men who have brutally raped his daughter in a Conservative state of Mississippi. The movie revolves around the case which is lead by a white lawyer who has to suffer a lot of resistance from the local community for supporting a black.

Interesting story line, great star cast & great performances by the entire cast makes it a good watch. The end is somehow on the expected lines but still the direction is great.

3.5/5

This is what I am waiting fro eagerly to watch next

Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 21:53   #3963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Yes in srt

I've hooked up my HDTV (Windows 7, 64 bit) to the CPU via HDMI, in VLC, even in full screen mode the taskbar is displayed, which i find irritating. Don't know why that's happening, never happened on my earlier Win XP Desktop.

Will try the directsobsub codec tomorrow, thanks.
Double click on the VLC media player skin so that it gets zoomed, then if you see the taskbar, press the Window key twice. It should disappear.
prateekm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 13:49   #3964
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched "Chaos" starring Jason Statham, Wesley Snipes and Ryan Phillips

Its an action thriller and revolves around a bank heist in the dark and ever raining Seattle.

JS is the suspended cop recalled to take care of this heist and WS is the robber. But, hang on this is not how simple this story takes place. There are a few twists and turns to keep you gripped through the movie.

However, action lovers will be disappointed as there is almost nil action in this movie but, more of talking strategy etc.

Surprisingly, boy faced RP has a meaty role and but, his expression is wooden than most models.

Overall, a decent one time watch.

3/5
Old 5th August 2011, 14:00   #3965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Adjustment Bureau (2011)

Now this is something new. A whole new genre of fiction with romance. Quite intriguing.

Its about an impromptu romance between a politician and a ballet dancer which is supposedly controlled by a bureau. Sounds cool and interesting, isn't it? It indeed is.
Saw this movie last night. Quite interesting movie and Matt Damon is best as always at looking a bit confused and yet determined to get his way.
Like someone else mentioned, ending could have been better.

Oh and i have fallen in love with Emily Blunt
Old 5th August 2011, 22:06   #3966
Senior - BHPian

Watched a few movies in last week:

Blitz - Interesting thriller with a bit of gore and psycho elements. Jason Statham in a 'devil may care' attitude. 3.5/5

Bad Teacher - Good and amusing in patches, but not a very good comedy. Weakest among the string of adult comedies that seem to be the rage this year. 2.5/5

Scream 4 - Typical scream movie. 2.5/5
Old 6th August 2011, 00:12   #3967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Watched a few movies in last week:

Blitz - Interesting thriller with a bit of gore and psycho elements. Jason Statham in a 'devil may care' attitude. 3.5/5
i missed typical JS action. Not even much hand to hand combats and killer's identity is revealed early and gets too much talkative.

OTOH, saw 'Tactical Force' starring Stone Cold Steve Austin. This one is a straight to DVD movie and from the way it is made, its clearly made on a shoe-string budget. Its a good one time watch. Nothing new in story line though a twist at the end is super cool. Action is nothing much to write about. I was expecting more action with Austin, but the fights are lame. Just like bollywood, the hand to hand combats just when it starts to get interesting, the bad guy dies because of an iron rod. Takes away the excitement.

3/5

Last edited by chevelle : 6th August 2011 at 00:15.
Old 6th August 2011, 04:54   #3968
BHPian

The Negotiator (1998)

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-nego.jpg

IMDB: The Negotiator (1998) - IMDb

Finished watching The Negotiator a few minutes back. The movie is about a Lieutenant who gets framed in a murder & fraud case, and in order to prove his innocence, takes a govt. building hostage. I found it one of the best thrillers of the 90's and the best hostage negotiation movie I've seen. Samuel Jackson has played his role splendidly. A must watch for everyone.

Rating: 4.5/5 (-0.5 because it's a tad too long).

Last edited by prateekm : 6th August 2011 at 04:56.
Old 6th August 2011, 13:07   #3969
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

Has anyone watched "The Bank Job" Starring Jason Stratham (Transporter fame). Its based on a real story about a bank robbery of Llyods bank on marelbone road in London.

Fantastic story, very gripping till the end. Was literally gued to till the end.

Rating: 4.8/5
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2011, 18:17   #3970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Watched A Time To Kill
..Interesting story line, great star cast & great performances by the entire cast makes it a good watch. The end is somehow on the expected lines but still the direction is great.
I watched this movie a couple of days ago as well (had seen it many years ago but watched it again). I usually like Grisham's novels too and most of the movies made off the source material have been pretty good too

Techno, if you haven't already (I guess you must have as they are famous) do watch the other movies made from Grisham novels since you liked this one (The Client - which is really good, The Firm, The Runaway Jury)

Also was going to watch No Man's Land (Bosnian/Serbian movie which won an Oscar) but the dvd did not play at all :s
Old 7th August 2011, 10:08   #3971
Senior - BHPian

Just watched Limitless. Link.

IMDB excerpt:

An action-thriller about a writer who takes an experimental drug that allows him to use 100 percent of his mind. Out-of-work writer Eddie Morra's (Cooper) rejection by girlfriend Lindy (Abbie Cornish) confirms his belief that he has zero future. That all vanishes the day an old friend introduces Eddie to NZT, a designer pharmaceutical that makes him laser focused and more confident than any man alive. Now on an NZT-fueled odyssey, everything Eddie's read, heard or seen is instantly organized and available to him. As the former nobody rises to the top of the financial world, he draws the attention of business mogul Carl Van Loon (De Niro), who sees this enhanced version of Eddie as the tool to make billions. But brutal side effects jeopardize his meteoric ascent...

Excellent flick. Gripping from start to end. Fast paced and very entertaining.

Rating - 4/5 (Must Watch).
Old 7th August 2011, 19:59   #3972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post

Techno, if you haven't already (I guess you must have as they are famous) do watch the other movies made from Grisham novels since you liked this one (The Client - which is really good, The Firm, The Runaway Jury)

Also was going to watch No Man's Land (Bosnian/Serbian movie which won an Oscar) but the dvd did not play at all :s
Thanks, No I havent seen Grisham's Novel based Movies, I will put them in Queue now
Old 7th August 2011, 21:29   #3973
Senior - BHPian

I watched 2 movies yesterday -one in theater and another in PPV.

Rise of the planet of the Apes - The prequel to all planet of the apes movies, or a complete series redux. The CGI is very good, so are the actors. But i feel some characters have been underutilized (like the keeper of the primate rescue center). Also - couple of cheesy moments do exist. But overall the film is worth watching and does not feel boring. James Franco is good, but Freida Pinto is just there to prevent a all male cast. No fault on her part though, she carries her part quite well.
3.5/5

The Beaver - this film was released in May 2011, and somehow I missed it in the theaters. It was also a flop in the market, so did not hear much about it. Damn it was such a mistake to miss it. This might be the best film of 2011 I have seen till now. It is a comedy-drama (more of the latter) and stands out from the summer slick flicks. Mel Gibson, a hopelessly depressed individual, finds new lease of life when he finds a beaver puppet that becomes an extension of himself - and slowly threatens to take over. Jodie Foster is also good. I would rate this one as a must watch.
4.5/5
Old 8th August 2011, 10:12   #3974
Distinguished - BHPian

what did i see?
The last airbender

what do i say?
NO!!!

he might have been trying to create a franchise, but it fails miserably in the first one, so thank god there's no more of it, like second to last airbender, airbender strikes back.......
Old 8th August 2011, 10:45   #3975
Senior - BHPian

Gone baby Gone: Ben affleck directed movie on the suspense involving a missing child. Interesting twists set in Boston. Very nice watch. 3.5/5

The negotiator: Well good movie and intense acting. But trust me if you have watched a lot of movies of this sort with good cop bad cop you could guess who may be to blame in it. I felt so, but still very well made movie.
3.5/5 as i guessed the plot in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks