Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2009, 06:12   #406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
The Day of the Jackal
The Odessa File
The Dogs of War

Downloaded these three movies in a single package based on forsythe novel from obvious places from net. You see these are not even available if you want to buy them. But highly recomended.

First one I saw long ago but the other two just last week.

Strange thing about his novel is the details and procedure used by protagonist, and actual events happening and technics used by people after decades of his novel's release.
I saw Odessa File about 20 years ago (while in college). If I remember correctly, the Nazi agent is shot dead by the character played by John Voight at the end but the ending of the novel is a little different.
Old 25th May 2009, 11:06   #407
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
The Day of the Jackal
The Odessa File
The Dogs of War
The movies above do not do justice to the fantastic novels.

The description of the old man during his holocaust days especially when he recognizes his wife is one of the best I've come ever come across
Old 25th May 2009, 11:16   #408
Senior - BHPian

Terminator Salvation

Any idea if it is releasing this friday?
Old 25th May 2009, 11:58   #409
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
How is Fantastic 4-Rise of the Silver Surfer? Planning to watch that today
I found it to be quite dumb. Dont know why.. i used to like the F4 comics as a kid, but the movie just didnt cut it for me.

Gimme Spidey anyday!
Old 25th May 2009, 12:16   #410
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I found it to be quite dumb. Dont know why.. i used to like the F4 comics as a kid, but the movie just didnt cut it for me.

Gimme Spidey anyday!
Bang on Benny!

Saw " Fantastic 4-Rise of the Silver Surfer" I was like the whole movie. Its not even worth talking about it here and waste internet space.

Give it a miss

0.5/5
Old 25th May 2009, 12:29   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He was indeed nominated but anyone knows if he was awarded the oscar. AFAIK, nobody from the 5 nominations for this movie got the oscar which is a pity.
No, he didn't win it. Alan Arkin / Little Miss Sunshine won it.

Quote:
How is Fantastic 4-Rise of the Silver Surfer? Planning to watch that today
Well, it is much better than the first movie.
Old 26th May 2009, 15:13   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
No, he didn't win it. Alan Arkin / Little Miss Sunshine won it.

Well, it is much better than the first movie.
Little Miss Sunshine- One of the most boring movies i had seen till date.
Old 26th May 2009, 17:49   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw " The Shepered-Border Patrol" Starring Claude Van Damme. It was a decent action flick and nothing spectacular.

Just a good time pass to watch his action moves and the nice looking heroine, she was not beautiful, cute but sultry. But, her acting was cliched most part of the movie.

2/5
Old 26th May 2009, 22:01   #414
BHPian

Finished watching Che Part I & Part II. Strictly speaking, this two part saga, shot in a single stint (like Kill Bill), is off topic for this thread because the language is Spanish. Reading English subtitles for every dialogue was also a PITA.

I had been intrigued by tales of Argentinian revolutionary Che Guevara since high school days. Most of those were hero worship types devoid of actual details. Director Soderbergh has based the movie(s) on the diary of Che Guevara himself and portrayed the two important stages of Che's life in Cuba and Bolivia respectively without resorting to melodrama. The first part ends in the revolutionaries led by Fidel Castro taking the reigns of Cuba and the tenor of that part is upbeat throughout. The second part deals with the failed revolution in Bolivia that eventually led to the end of Che Guevara. The dark and sombre mood of this part is in sharp contrast to the earlier part and hence the justification of releasing Part I and Part II as standalone movies.

The acting is excellent. Benicio Del Toro brings Che alive with a virtuoso performance. The actor playing the part of Fidel Castro is due for a special mention. Recommended for everyone who jumped into the red bandwagon at least as a passing fad (like yours truly in college days ).
Old 27th May 2009, 09:21   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Little Miss Sunshine- One of the most boring movies i had seen till date.
I actually quite liked it. I've always loved road-trip movies, and this one had a lot more than just the road trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Finished watching Che Part I & Part II.
I had been intrigued by tales of Argentinian revolutionary Che Guevara since high school days. ....
Have you seen The Motorcycle Diaries? Also on Che, and a very enjoyable movie. I'm looking forward to watching Che (I & II) soon.

BTW, has anybody managed to watch Lars Von Trier's Antichrist? The reviews are pretty intriguing (and mixed). I remember Lars Von Trier's Dogville was a great movie. Apparently there's another interesting movie of his called Manderlay starring Willem DaFoe, Danny Glover & Bryce Dallas Howard. I just managed to get it (Manderlay) yesterday, and look forward to watching it over the weekend.

The Machinist
I want to thank faithless_1984 for mentioning The Machinist. I'd missed this movie completely before and I watched it 2 days back. Christian Bale is just awesome: he carries the entire movie himself. It is must watch, and one of those movies that will keep giving us enjoyment on repeated viewing. The degree of sacrifice Christian Bale has made for the movie (he literally thinned himself down to just skin & bone) has to be seen to be believed.

The movie is about a machinist who hasn't slept for a year. He sees things happening, meets people, is tired to the point of distraction, has an unidentified person leaving him a PostIt with a Hangman game on his refrigerator etc. etc. The movie is all about why these things happen. Saying anything about the movie would be a spoiler, so I won't spoil if for you folks

Last edited by hydrashok : 27th May 2009 at 09:29.
Old 27th May 2009, 09:31   #416
BHPian

Terminator Salvation watch at your own risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
Any idea if it is releasing this friday?
Compared to first two parts this is a letdown. Story can be told in two three lines and rest all is just fighting & fighting.

Watch only once on CD/DVD
Old 27th May 2009, 10:21   #417
Senior - BHPian

Iron Man and Eagle Eyes

Iron Man : 3/5

You are techy from the day you are born; inherit dad's business (dad too is techy techy and hence made loads of dollar dollar). You have everything at your disposal; even very good contacts with army etc coz you also happen to own a weapon of mass destruction manufacturing firm. You get kidnapped by arabs one fine day after you give a demo to army people in Afgan.

You are stunned when you know/see that your weapons helped the coup ! What will you do? You have a vision; a weapon free world. You become superman with metal body and tech stuff body gear. Rock 'n' roll.

Loved the way the RR/R8 was driven, the private jet etc Glad that the hero didnt have to do much show off to prove stuffs. Lot of tech stuff load that I can believe.

Eagle Eyes: 3/5

A Paper Copier Associate (? god! these americans, they have a profile for each crap job) has a twin who is a wow at army intell. This twin gets killed or so and then the naive hero copier associate gets 1) loads of money transferred into his other while zero balance account and 2) loads of ammo and army stuff couried into this small aparment one fine day!

He get a phone from a lady asking him to escape in 19 seconds if he doesnt want to get caught; dude is so stunned and yes get caught by Billy. He gets another phone call from the same lady and helps his escape from police custody. He gets another phone call which asks him to do something else in another few seconds/minutes!

Few blocks away; our heroine get a phone saying her kid is kidnapped and she has this many seconds to do this many stuff. And so on.

These two blokes meet and then more chaos ! more phone calls. I was bit surprised on the time keeping factor of the telephone caller and also how she tracks our hero/heroine !

Nice film. Can I say that this film is linked to the Terminator series in one way?
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-iron_man_ver3-small.jpg  

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-eagle_eye-small.jpg  

Old 27th May 2009, 10:37   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Have you seen The Motorcycle Diaries? Also on Che, and a very enjoyable movie. I'm looking forward to watching Che (I & II) soon.
No, but I'll see it soon. AFAIK, The Motorcycle Diaries deals with the transformation of Che Guevara, during a motorcycle expedition of Latin America, into a future revolutionary. The time lines of the two movies don't intersect. Che's character is also used in the musical Evita as the narrator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
The Machinist
I want to thank faithless_1984 for mentioning The Machinist. I'd missed this movie completely before and I watched it 2 days back. Christian Bale is just awesome: he carries the entire movie himself. It is must watch, and one of those movies that will keep giving us enjoyment on repeated viewing. The degree of sacrifice Christian Bale has made for the movie (he literally thinned himself down to just skin & bone) has to be seen to be believed.
I have a copy of the movie obtained from an unmentionable source. Looking forward to watch it this weekend. The more I watch Christian Bale the more impressed I am. In spite of the bad reviews I think I'll go for T4 only for him.
Old 27th May 2009, 10:51   #419
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Eagle Eyes: 3/5

Nice film. Can I say that this film is linked to the Terminator series in one way?
While the movie was initially gripping, the ending was rather tame, and stretched. That led me to lower my rating of the movie.
Old 27th May 2009, 13:03   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Iron Man : 3/5 ...Lot of tech stuff load that I can believe.
A nice 'time pass' movie. Nothing much to be expected. But then, the same Iron Man (actor included) was also there in one another super hero movie... in just the last scene.

Quote:
... Eagle Eyes: 3/5...These two blokes meet and then more chaos ! more phone calls. I was bit surprised on the time keeping factor of the telephone caller and also how she tracks our hero/heroine !

The "Eagle Eye" is the next "Big Brother" see all character! The system is able to use the public (&private) camera as it wishes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
While the movie was initially gripping, the ending was rather tame, and stretched. That led me to lower my rating of the movie.
Same thought Ben! The starting was OK, well, sort of gripping as to who is doing this and why and all that. But the end!!! For God's sake, what were they thinking!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks