Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2011, 23:13   #4291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
The best film I've seen this year is Midnight in Paris, a retro romantic film by the great Woody Allen.

I liked it so much that its just beyond any rating. The storyline is quite simple, but also different from anything you'd have seen so far. A francophile comes to Paris to work on his novel, falls in love with the city (actually in love with 20's era) and during his nightouts meets the likes of Hemmingway, Picasso, Bunuel, Dali etc. Its an amazing film, more like a dream!

Highly recommended.
+1 Also after a very long time, Owen Wilson got a decent platform to showcase some real acting, different from the ham jobs he has to do in recent comedies,
Old 5th December 2011, 06:42   #4292
BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
+1 Also after a very long time, Owen Wilson got a decent platform to showcase some real acting, different from the ham jobs he has to do in recent comedies,
His performance in this film is definitely better than some of his recent comedies.
IMO the credit goes to Woody Allen for that fantastic script and excellent execution!
Old 6th December 2011, 14:03   #4293
BHPian

Some of the best English movies I have watched were during my college years in Mumbai (the 70s). If you can lay your hands on these, do watch:

1. The reincarnation of Peter Proud (Karz was "inspired" by this movie)
2. The Entity (based on a true story)
3. The Wilby conspiracy (Michael Caine, Sidney Poitier)
4. The great race (Jack Lemmon in a triple role - completely whacky)
5. The Omen (all the sequels were no patch on the first one)
6. Duel (directed by Steven Spielberg)

Cheers.
Old 6th December 2011, 14:23   #4294
BHPian

Saw 'Pulp Fiction' recently and didn't get why this film is so hyped-up/held in high regard.
The violence is pretty tame (by comparison to other Tarantino flicks) and dialogues are pretty inane and wayward (no comparo to say, Get Shorty).

Or maybe it wasn't targeted at ppl like me.
Old 6th December 2011, 14:29   #4295
Distinguished - BHPian

Did anybody catch "get him to the greek" on the telly?
With russell brand as a rockstar who goes into a downward spiral, but P.diddy/puff daddy as a music mogul gets him a gig at the greek theatre, and assigns one of his employees to get him to the show on time.

4/5 otherwise.
5/5 for sheer MADNESS in some sections!!

PS: do watch out for the "geoffrey" sequence!
I almost fell off the bed laughing!!
No, i died!!Geez!!
Old 6th December 2011, 14:33   #4296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Saw 'Pulp Fiction' recently and didn't get why this film is so hyped-up/held in high regard.
The violence is pretty tame (by comparison to other Tarantino flicks) and dialogues are pretty inane and wayward (no comparo to say, Get Shorty).

Or maybe it wasn't targeted at ppl like me.
It was a cult movie of its time. I have a collectors edition ( Including a booklet on Jack Rabbit Slims restuarant set-up details) of this movie and must have seen it no less than 25 times and except 1-2 parts ( Bruce Willis boxing match and Ving Rhames assault which was gory) I enjoyed every part of the movie.

I love this movie so much just for the inane dialogues part which is so wonderful, i can watch those parts again and again, forever

A dialogue by Wolf from Pulp Fiction:-

That place is thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 16:37   #4297
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
It was a cult movie of its time. I have a collectors edition ( Including a booklet on Jack Rabbit Slims restuarant set-up details) of this movie and must have seen it no less than 25 times and except 1-2 parts ( Bruce Willis boxing match and Ving Rhames assault which was gory) I enjoyed every part of the movie.

I love this movie so much just for the inane dialogues part which is so wonderful, i can watch those parts again and again, forever

A dialogue by Wolf from Pulp Fiction:-

That place is thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.
Everytime I watch a Tarantino movie - I feel what's the hype all about - it's a decent movie, but not worth the hype. Then I watch it a second time, a 3rd time & so on & keep enjoying each time as much as enjoyed it the first time - i.e. I find Tarantino movies to be decent movies which don't go stale on repeat watching. I have watched Pulp Fiction, KB1, KB2 5-6 times & each time I liked it. I have watched Inglorious *******s, Jackie Brown & Reservoir Dogs. I didn't like Inglorious *******s & Jackie Brown much - even the first viewing component was far less than the other movies.

The other thing about Tarantino movies are the beautifully crafted scenes - The scene in Inglorious *******s where the officer is interrogating the guy who has hidden jews in his house - that long scene with slow pace was beautifully made with wonderful dialogues.

And dialogues are always fun
Pulp Fiction
- Whose motorcycle is this?
- It's a chopper baby.
- Whose chopper is this?
- It's Zed's
- Who is Zed?
- Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.
Old 7th December 2011, 05:30   #4298
Senior - BHPian

Watched A Stranger Among Us

Its a 1992 movie which revolves around the murder of Jew Boy in a Conservative Jewish Community comprising mostly of Diamond Merchants. The community is tightly knit one & do not suspect an insider job, however the police thinks otherwise. So a lady cop start living with them to find the culprit. During her stay she learns about Jewish customs & life style which leaves a deep impression on her.

The movie gives a good insight about this relatively lesser known (in India atleast) religion & the customs followed by Jews.

3.5/5
Old 7th December 2011, 11:28   #4299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Watched Shutter Island for the nth time, without getting bored.
Each time i can't help comparing it to Manichitrathazhu, the malayalam classic, which also deals with treating a mentally ill patient through elaborate role-play.

Amazingly even the two doctor's spew out very similar dialogues - "iam going to break all conventional wisdom and rewrite rules of psychiatry .. ".

"Shutter Island" is ofcourse far more intense and disturbing.
One of the scariest movies I have watched (and I have watched a lot of J-horror, slasher, gore and psychological horror movies). To lose one's sense of identity and losing out the perception of reality- shudders! And what a phenomenal sound track! I was surprised to hear that the music was not specifically composed for the movie- it blends in with the scenes so beautifully.

IMHO, it is still a bit open ended on whether he was actually mentally ill or it was all an elaborate setup.
Old 7th December 2011, 15:25   #4300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Everytime I watch a Tarantino movie - I feel what's the hype all about - it's a decent movie, but not worth the hype. Then I watch it a second time, a 3rd time & so on & keep enjoying each time as much as enjoyed it the first time - i.e. I find Tarantino movies to be decent movies which don't go stale on repeat watching. I have watched Pulp Fiction, KB1, KB2 5-6 times & each time I liked it. I have watched Inglorious *******s, Jackie Brown & Reservoir Dogs. I didn't like Inglorious *******s & Jackie Brown much - even the first viewing component was far less than the other movies.
Agree completely. Taratino's movie strength is in those dialogues. Without which the movie is brought down to common movie levels

Apart from PF, I enjoyed the entire movies dialogues for Reservoir Dogs :-

Okay, First things %$ last
We have got places all over the place
It's my way or the highway

Infact, i sometimes use the song where Michael Madsen tortures the cop as my ringtone on phone.....

I enjoyed Kill Bill 2 dailogues too immensely. Especially the ones between David Carridine and Michael Madsen and totally love the way Larry Bishop ( Club owner) abuses Michael Madsen

And, I am in synch in terms of dialogues, I didnt like Inglorious B but, loved Jackie Brown even though it was a terribly long movie.

Overall, Without those crazy and meaningless dialogues in a QT movie, its not worth watching it....

Last edited by mobike008 : 7th December 2011 at 15:26.
Old 8th December 2011, 10:44   #4301
Senior - BHPian

Sea gherkins!!! Colocynths!!!Interplanetary goats!!Jellyfish!!! Pickled herrings!!! Gogglers!!!! Black Marketeers!!! Ectoplasms!!!! Pock-marks!!!Lubberly Scum!!! Bandicoots!!! Dynamiters!!!! Bougainvillea!!! Technocrats!! Shipwreckers!! Slave Traders!!!

What a movie!! An absolute visual treat. Best thing is, its not just that, but has a fantastic story line, a fluidity to the execution and ofcourse, great characterisation.
Best part is, it hints at a sequel, eagerly awaiting Adventures of Tintin 2: Red Rackham's Treasure (if they call it that , ie).

My Rating : 5/5.
Old 8th December 2011, 12:15   #4302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Best part is, it hints at a sequel, eagerly awaiting Adventures of Tintin 2: Red Rackham's Treasure (if they call it that , ie).

My Rating : 5/5.
Sequel would be a different story. As one notices the end of red rackham's treasure book was discovering the treasure inside the globle present in the marlinspike hall, which was also shown in the movie.
Old 8th December 2011, 12:29   #4303
Senior - BHPian

Among other good things what impresses me in a QT's movie is the screen play. Take for example the scene where Jules and Vincent go to retrieve that briefcase. They talk all kind of irrelevant but funny things.

The reason why you enjoy watching this movie again and again is that when you know that these two are actually going to beat the hell out of those guys at the apartment and they are doing it so casually talking about Burgers and foot massages!

And that scene where their boss gets raped!! If you know what is going to happen, you tend to enjoy the scenes just before even more!

Other such movies are by Guy Ritchie movies like Snatch and Lock Stock and two smoking barrels are howlarious!!

Recently watched The French Connection (1971). Such an awesome movie! I was bowled over by the brilliancy with which great editing complemented smart cinematography. Specially the chase scene and the way it was executed was just Fab!
my rating 5/5.
Old 8th December 2011, 12:31   #4304
Senior - BHPian

The Man from Nowhere : 4/5

The Man from Nowhere (2010) - IMDb

What a film! Was glued even when it had only english subtiltes ( Its a korean film). Beautiful violence
Old 8th December 2011, 12:47   #4305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The Man from Nowhere : 4/5

The Man from Nowhere (2010) - IMDb

What a film! Was glued even when it had only english subtiltes ( Its a korean film). Beautiful violence
That reminded me of the 2007 title The Man from Earth (2007) - IMDb.

A very spooky one and one of those low budget movies which are more than worth a watch!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks