Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 16:30   #4321
BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Another film which I highly recommend is 'Spring, summer, fall, winter and spring'. Though this film is nothing like Man from Earth, it's one of those rare unconventional gems that you will be delighted to discover.
+1. I happened to watch it during a film festival in Pune. Unconventional, simple and a visual treat.
Old 14th December 2011, 17:59   #4322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
try jet li's "hero".
story's is convoluted, to say the least, but the presentation, and the sequences....art!
This movie has one of the most stunning visuals on screen. I want to get this on Blu-ray and watch it on my 55". The story's not too bad either.
Old 16th December 2011, 09:59   #4323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
Wow. A thread on movies and somehow I missed it! All 288 pages of it.
I don't know if this movie has been discussed before [highly unlikely that it hasn't been] but 'A Clockwork Orange' is one movie that is a must watch for the sheer craziness depicted in the movie. All the characters have a weird edge to them.
It's got plenty of explicit content though.
Beg to differ here. Clockwork Orange for me is probably the second weakest movie by Kubrick- above Barry Lyndon. The movie hasnt aged well at all compared to the masterpieces like FMJ, Shining and ofcourse 2011
Old 16th December 2011, 10:02   #4324
BHPian

speaking of Kubrick. Has anyone tried out Dr Strangelove. Its phenomenal on how he managed to make a satire about total destruction by Nuclear weapons. And Peter Sellers, take a bow- all the double/triple/quadruple roles we find in India apppear so childish after seeing his performance in this movie
Old 16th December 2011, 11:04   #4325
BHPian

A few action [violent maybe?] movies that come to mind are:
Apocalypto by Me Gibson [Amazing]
IP Man [It's a story about Bruce Lee's master and showcases a very unique style of fighting- A must watch]

Apologies if it has already been discussed.

P.S.- I spent 3 years grazing through IMDB watching around 3 movies every day
Old 16th December 2011, 15:25   #4326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trakesht View Post
Beg to differ here. Clockwork Orange for me is probably the second weakest movie by Kubrick- above Barry Lyndon. The movie hasnt aged well at all compared to the masterpieces like FMJ, Shining and ofcourse 2011
Opinions differ, especially in the case of movies and you are very much entitled to have a different opinion. That is why I made a suggestion and not a comparison. But I have to agree almost all movies of Kubrick are classics. In terms of craziness I would still rank them as A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, 2001: Space Odyssey [I am certain that is what you meant] and the Full Metal Jacket. But then like I said earlier, opinions differ and that is the benefit of a discussion; to broaden our horizons .

Cheers!
Old 16th December 2011, 15:35   #4327
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
Opinions differ, especially in the case of movies and you are very much entitled to have a different opinion. That is why I made a suggestion and not a comparison. But I have to agree almost all movies of Kubrick are classics. In terms of craziness I would still rank them as A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, 2001: Space Odyssey [I am certain that is what you meant] and the Full Metal Jacket. But then like I said earlier, opinions differ and that is the benefit of a discussion; to broaden our horizons .

Cheers!
I have seen 3 Kubrick Movies - 2001, FMJ & Shining.

2001 bored me so much that I couldn't even finish the movie. (1/5)
Shining - I could finish the movie, that's the best I can say about it. Parts of it were engrossing, but not too many parts. (2.5/5)
FMJ - first half was fantastic - really good - but I found the second half routine and boring (3/5) - [ 4/5 for the first half ]

By the way, 2001 is one of the movies which became a cult movie later in life. When it was released - it was a commercial and critical flop - all the critics panned the movie.

I want to see Clockwork Orange, but the DVD isn't easily available.
Old 16th December 2011, 16:49   #4328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I have seen 3 Kubrick Movies - 2001, FMJ & Shining.

2001 bored me so much that I couldn't even finish the movie. (1/5)
Shining - I could finish the movie, that's the best I can say about it. Parts of it were engrossing, but not too many parts. (2.5/5)
FMJ - first half was fantastic - really good - but I found the second half routine and boring (3/5) - [ 4/5 for the first half ]

By the way, 2001 is one of the movies which became a cult movie later in life. When it was released - it was a commercial and critical flop - all the critics panned the movie.

I want to see Clockwork Orange, but the DVD isn't easily available.
Your assessment about the movies is pretty much the same as mine, so I am certain you will enjoy A Clockwork Orange save for the explicit content. I could send you direct link but I guess it's not allowed on the forum.
Most of Kubrick's movies are not entertaining per se
Old 16th December 2011, 20:29   #4329
Senior - BHPian

Only recently did I get down to watching "Citizen Kane". I always thought it was too hyped up and did continue to think so after 10 minutes into the movie. But wow, I didn't even notice time fly through after that. What a movie!!

I love movies for their camera work, lighting etc and this was a killer!
Old 17th December 2011, 14:32   #4330
Senior - BHPian

Mission Impossible 4 - Ghost protocol

Went yesterday for the evening show and was not dissapointed. The effects and Tom Cruise are unbeatable.

Simon Pegg is funny and has some great laugh moments. A first for MI.

Anil Kapoor and India looked absolutely stupid. Why the hell did he take this role ? Looks and acts like a loser and has only a few seconds.

The scenes in India are not even India !! The climax in the multi car park lot - even the cars have foreign number plates - either they think Indians are fools or they just did not bother changing the cars to Indian cars.

Overall fantastic movie BUT the India part was pretty disappointing.
Old 17th December 2011, 14:48   #4331
Senior - BHPian

MI 4: Ghost Protocol

Awesome location, Awesome action, Awesome drool worthy cars, Great script, gripping but predictable story line and good performance by star cast.

Anil Kapoor is absolute waste. Most parts are not even shot in India. But then i didn't expect Hollywood to do any justice to it.

Léa Seydoux, Burj Khalifa and BMW i8 look fantastic and feel exotic. Easily the stuff dreams made up of.

A must watch for MI fans. Watch it. You can't go wrong with this one.

4.5/5.

Last edited by chevelle : 17th December 2011 at 14:52.
Old 17th December 2011, 20:12   #4332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Mission Impossible 4 - Ghost protocol

Went yesterday for the evening show and was not dissapointed. The effects and Tom Cruise are unbeatable.

Simon Pegg is funny and has some great laugh moments. A first for MI.

Anil Kapoor and India looked absolutely stupid. Why the hell did he take this role ? Looks and acts like a loser and has only a few seconds.

The scenes in India are not even India !! The climax in the multi car park lot - even the cars have foreign number plates - either they think Indians are fools or they just did not bother changing the cars to Indian cars.

Overall fantastic movie BUT the India part was pretty disappointing.
It was nice to see Kannada on screen in a hollywood movie for the first time though
Old 17th December 2011, 20:20   #4333
BANNED

Quote:

Anil Kapoor and India looked absolutely stupid. Why the hell did he take this role ?
Money, probably. The money in Hollywood is far more than the money in Bollywood.

Quote:

I guess the percentage of Hollywood's income which comes from India must be too negligible for them to worry about these details.
Old 17th December 2011, 22:03   #4334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I guess the percentage of Hollywood's income which comes from India must be too negligible for them to worry about these details.
No wonder they tried to sneak in a bit of emotional drama too in between about love/wife and what not & tried to keep it above 2 hours to meet indian expectations
Old 17th December 2011, 22:58   #4335
BHPian

Taxi Driver (1976) - De Niro's best work ever.

Usually we keep track of the best actor, best dialogue, best movie.. always the "Best".
This movie made me start on the "Saddest scenes" category.
De Niro's character, out of sheer loneliness, tries to chat up the adult movie theatre sales girl and then slinks back into his shell (getting absorbed in the adult movie being screened) after being shooed away like a mongrel, is so sad to watch.
This movie shows what isolation and loneliness can do to a human mind.

Last edited by WindRide : 17th December 2011 at 22:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks