Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2012, 14:22   #4441
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

The descendants:
one word?
Yawnfest!!

more words?
well, all well and good that its going to win oscars and all.
But throughout the whole movie, I was sort of expecting "rusty" to come and help Mr. clooney.
I know its a departure from what he does usually, and people will appreciate his work, but did he have to be so booooring??

i know another actor who departed majorly from his usual works.
russell crowe, in a good year.
but he kept it interesting.

there's a conflict here in if you want to watch it.
If you want to save money, rent it out and see it on the telly.
but then you wont watch it cos you'll have turned the television off after 30 minutes.
So, if you WANT to watch it, spend money, go to a theater and watch it, cos you'll be forced to!!
as was i!!

pass(on it).
1/5

Old 6th February 2012, 17:23   #4442
Senior - BHPian

Undisputed

Stars Wesley Snipes and Ving Rhames. Wesley Snipes is lodged in Sweetwater prison for killing his wife's lover with his bare hands (which the state of california considers "lethal weapons" because of his training as a boxer). Plays his role well as a man who "lives in his mind" , in prison. He is the prisons undefeated boxing champ for 10 years running.
Until Ving Rhames arrives on the scene, sent to prison for a rape charge which he denies. He is the world heavyweight champion , and is immensely cocky about it.
What follows is a battle for supremacy and is a very engaging watch.

My rating : 4/5.
Old 6th February 2012, 17:27   #4443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
The descendants:
one word?
Yawnfest!!
Just saw the movie last night, and I liked the movie. Loved the locales and the lilting Hawaiian music. I kind of lean towards the non melodramatic movies, loved the acting of the young girls.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 19:10   #4444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Undisputed

Stars Wesley Snipes and Ving Rhames....

My rating : 4/5.
You might like the next 2 installments as well. While its more of MMA kind of fights, i just love the protagonists and the way the fights are filmed.
Old 6th February 2012, 22:09   #4445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
You might like the next 2 installments as well. While its more of MMA kind of fights, i just love the protagonists and the way the fights are filmed.
The 2nd and 3rd parts have no big names starring in it I think ?
Whats MMA ?
Old 6th February 2012, 22:16   #4446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Undisputed
Tagline: Two enemies...The Mob....The Ultimate Showdown.

A great guy's movie set in Sweetwater Prison. Its about the undisputed heavyweight championship between Iceman and Monroe played by Ving Rhames and Wesley Snipes respectively.

Iceman is the showy character while Monroe underplays the role. Monroe is undisputed heavyweight champion of Sweetwater for 10 years while Iceman lands up at that place for rape. What ensues is a gripping battle of supremacy.

Both have their own code of honor and for them its all about standing the ground, whoever wins, wins.

From my point of view, Undisputed is a homage to boxing and its history. One of the best final showdown i have seen in boxing. It is awesome.

A no nonsense movie, see if you like this sport and need some thrill with those punches.

4.5/5

Next up: Undisputed II: Last Man Standing and then Undisputed III: Redemption. I am already excited after the 1st part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Undisputed II: Last Man Standing

The part 2 gets even more entertaining then the first one. Storyline is easy to comprehend and is not boring.

Fights are superb, better than 1st part. Very well shot, makes you keep glued to the action all the time. This time its not about pure boxing like first part, its more of freestyle including kicks, bend knees and what not. This is no nonsense fight at its best.

Cinematography is excellent, characters are very well developed. Actors Michael Jai White and Scott Adkins Kicks some serious A.s.s.

Really enjoyed it. A must watch

4.5/5
Quote:
Whats MMA ?
Here are my reviews to the same that i did almost 8-9 months ago. MMA is Mixed Martial Arts fight.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 22:28   #4447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whats MMA ?
As already mentioned by Chevelle, MMA is Mixed Martial Arts style of fights. In addition to the review of 2nd part, the third part was what i liked the most. Scott Adkins looks really chiseled and the fight scenes are shot really well.
Old 7th February 2012, 01:52   #4448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
As already mentioned by Chevelle, MMA is Mixed Martial Arts style of fights. In addition to the review of 2nd part, the third part was what i liked the most. Scott Adkins looks really chiseled and the fight scenes are shot really well.
Yes, i forgot to write the review for 3rd one. But its awesome too. One of the very few movies who sequel are as good/better then original
Old 7th February 2012, 05:41   #4449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
The descendants:
one word?
Yawnfest!!

pass(on it).
1/5

I saw the movie and i actually liked it. The movie pace drops just by a little in the middle, but apart from that i liked it.

It is a good watch and would probably go as a sobfest with the fairer sex.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 08:34   #4450
Senior - BHPian

Chronicle - A grade film with B grade budget and cast. Quite a good one time watch. Can give a lot of superhero films a run for their money. 4/5 in my book.
Old 7th February 2012, 12:24   #4451
BHPian

Watched 50/50 (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), story of a man suffering from almost advanced stage of cancer and how he and his friend and family copes with it, albeit with a dose of humor.
Mindblowing acting, superb script, and subtle emotions.
Must watch 4.5/5
Old 7th February 2012, 18:34   #4452
Senior - BHPian

Watched 12 Angry Men in the weekend.

Wow, no wonder so much has been said about this movie. Great movie - those of you who like action movies must give it a pass though.

Its about a jury (of 12 men) who deliberate the fate of a young man who is accused of murdering his father. Lots of mind games and thinking about what goes behind the mens' minds makes it damn interesting.
Old 7th February 2012, 19:23   #4453
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Watched 12 Angry Men in the weekend.

Wow, no wonder so much has been said about this movie. Great movie - those of you who like action movies must give it a pass though.

Its about a jury (of 12 men) who deliberate the fate of a young man who is accused of murdering his father. Lots of mind games and thinking about what goes behind the mens' minds makes it damn interesting.
The movie is good in terms of acting, pace etc - but the whole story goes against the jury thing. Jury should not being research. Jury should not deliberating beyond what was presented as evidence. I think the law is pretty clear on that.
Old 7th February 2012, 20:56   #4454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The movie is good in terms of acting, pace etc - but the whole story goes against the jury thing. Jury should not being research. Jury should not deliberating beyond what was presented as evidence. I think the law is pretty clear on that.
I know this is OT but am just adding to it for the sake of the argument - no harm, no offense.

I never thought of it the way you have mentioned. But it wasn't research, it was deliberation. And deliberation is also obviously debating and trying to find what might have really happened. All the while Fonda's character in the movie keeps repeating - "beyond reasonable doubt". And for the US constitution, it is very important that a man be proven "guilty" beyond all reasonable doubt. And not proven "innocent".

Thats what my take is any way. Maybe a great topic for some debate?
Old 7th February 2012, 21:17   #4455
BHPian

Watched Hall Pass and Columbiana.

Hall Pass: A romantic comedy. Nice watch. 3.5/5

Columbiana: Outright action and thriller. 3/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks