Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2012, 23:09   #4456
Senior - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Watched 12 Angry Men in the weekend.

Wow, no wonder so much has been said about this movie. Great movie - those of you who like action movies must give it a pass though.

Its about a jury (of 12 men) who deliberate the fate of a young man who is accused of murdering his father. Lots of mind games and thinking about what goes behind the mens' minds makes it damn interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The movie is good in terms of acting, pace etc - but the whole story goes against the jury thing. Jury should not being research. Jury should not deliberating beyond what was presented as evidence. I think the law is pretty clear on that.
Quote:
I know this is OT but am just adding to it for the sake of the argument - no harm, no offense.

I never thought of it the way you have mentioned. But it wasn't research, it was deliberation. And deliberation is also obviously debating and trying to find what might have really happened. All the while Fonda's character in the movie keeps repeating - "beyond reasonable doubt". And for the US constitution, it is very important that a man be proven "guilty" beyond all reasonable doubt. And not proven "innocent".

Thats what my take is any way. Maybe a great topic for some debate?
This movie has been brilliantly remade in Hindi as Ek Ruka Hua Faisla.

Brilliant star cast(Pnkaj Kapoor, KK Raina, Annu Kapoor etc) & well acted by all, ofcourse the original remains the original
Old 7th February 2012, 23:10   #4457
BANNED

Quote:
I know this is OT but am just adding to it for the sake of the argument - no harm, no offense.

I never thought of it the way you have mentioned. But it wasn't research, it was deliberation. And deliberation is also obviously debating and trying to find what might have really happened. All the while Fonda's character in the movie keeps repeating - "beyond reasonable doubt". And for the US constitution, it is very important that a man be proven "guilty" beyond all reasonable doubt. And not proven "innocent".

Thats what my take is any way. Maybe a great topic for some debate?
Actually after watching the movie, the jury stuff rather threw me off & so I did some google research on it & found US Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor opinion on that - here - 12 Angry Men (1957 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That jury deliberation spells mistrial all the way.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 00:11   #4458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
This movie has been brilliantly remade in Hindi as Ek Ruka Hua Faisla.

Brilliant star cast(Pnkaj Kapoor, KK Raina, Annu Kapoor etc) & well acted by all, ofcourse the original remains the original
Will try and get the Hindi version to watch too. But yes, originals are originals. Honestly, I liked Le Dīner de Cons more than Bheja Fry - though it was well made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Actually after watching the movie, the jury stuff rather threw me off & so I did some google research on it & found US Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor opinion on that - here - 12 Angry Men (1957 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That jury deliberation spells mistrial all the way.
Ok, I stand corrected then. I didn't actually want to check what a real jury would've thought of it
Old 8th February 2012, 10:16   #4459
BHPian

watched a movie called Flypaper, where 2 gangs end up looting the same bank, it is a fun movie, starring Ashley Judd. I thoroughly enjoyed it would rate 4/5
s.prashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 11:53   #4460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Just saw the movie last night, and I liked the movie. Loved the locales and the lilting Hawaiian music. I kind of lean towards the non melodramatic movies, loved the acting of the young girls.
Even i liked the movie. Clooney was too good! I loved Alexander Payne's "Sideways", but nevertheless, "The Descendants" was a good watch too.

Hawaii is beautiful !!!
Old 8th February 2012, 19:07   #4461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
watched a movie called Flypaper, where 2 gangs end up looting the same bank, it is a fun movie, starring Ashley Judd. I thoroughly enjoyed it would rate 4/5
Same feelings here - Flypaper is a very good movie.
Old 8th February 2012, 20:34   #4462
BHPian

Watched 4 movies this weekend ,Journey to the secret Island , Chronicle , Man On a ledge , and the icing on the cake , Sherlock Holmes . The last one being the best of the 4 . Absolutely love Robert Downy .

Sherlock Holmes was so awesome , I might just go and watch it again . Really really nice movie .

Need to watch flypaper .
Old 9th February 2012, 04:03   #4463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Watched 4 movies this weekend ,Journey to the secret Island
You mean Journey 2: The Mysterious Island right?
Old 9th February 2012, 05:41   #4464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Watched 4 movies this weekend ,Journey to the secret Island , Chronicle , Man On a ledge , and the icing on the cake , Sherlock Holmes . The last one being the best of the 4 . Absolutely love Robert Downy .

Sherlock Holmes was so awesome , I might just go and watch it again . Really really nice movie .

Need to watch flypaper .
Common man, throw some more light on all the movies you saw.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 18:26   #4465
BHPian

Drive starring Ryan Gosling is a neat movie. It could have been better if they hadnt focused on keeping his mouth shut on the tooth pick. Nice background score. Dont expect any great performances esp from Ryan, anyone could have played this part. The movie's pace is fine, story is about okay, there are some simple action sequence but this is more like a melancholic movie about the main character with that ambient background score. Oh well, im feeling it a bit myself. 3/5
Old 10th February 2012, 10:50   #4466
Senior - BHPian

Watched The Kite Runner soon after finishing the book - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2674985

And well, it just strengthened the idea that movie adaptations of books don't usually hit the mark. They've left out a lot of stuff and westernized some stuff in there that would have been better if left alone. And was disappointed in the lead actor - not much emotion and he only really opened up towards the end of the movie - maybe the last few scenes!

Book much better!
Old 10th February 2012, 10:52   #4467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Drive starring Ryan Gosling is a neat movie. It could have been better if they hadnt focused on keeping his mouth shut on the tooth pick. Nice background score. Dont expect any great performances esp from Ryan, anyone could have played this part. The movie's pace is fine, story is about okay, there are some simple action sequence but this is more like a melancholic movie about the main character with that ambient background score. Oh well, im feeling it a bit myself. 3/5
I saw that movie in flight. Fell asleep 6 times while watching the movie. The movie was very helpful in avoiding jetlag.
Old 10th February 2012, 15:16   #4468
BHPian

Watched The Town (2010) - IMDb again. Enjoyed totally, fantastic performances.
Old 13th February 2012, 12:54   #4469
J.Ravi

Last night, I enjoyed watching 127 Hours on Star Movies HD Channel. Excellent acting by James Franco who portrays the role of a mountaineer getting trapped in a canyon and finally escaping by amputating his hand, gripping narration by the director Danny Boyle ably assisted by excellent photography and music by AR Rahman were the highlights of this wonderful movie.
  (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 13:02   #4470
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw Immortals over the weekend.
I say over the weekend, cos i started it, stopped it, but still HAD to finish it probably because of some undiagnosed OCD i have.
it is, well, a strange movie, to say the least.
The fights are not engaging.
The story seems to be from a mythology bits-and-pices bin, and NOONE has any presence in the movie.
not even Mickey Rourke, not even with a super awesome name like Hyperion.

If you havent seen, you havent missed much.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks