Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2012, 16:20   #4471
Senior - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Fail Safe - An excellent war room depiction of a Nuclear war between Russia and America. The communication scene between the President of the United States and Premier of Russia is beyond excellent. 2 hours it will keep you on the edge of the seat.

Rating - 5/5
Old 13th February 2012, 20:47   #4472
Senior - BHPian

Guys, please give ratings with the review & not just the review, Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 21:37   #4473
BHPian

Watched 'You got mail' over the weekend.
Just loved Tom Hanks.Dont know if Bollywood movie 'Sirf Tum' was inspired by this?

3.5/5
Old 14th February 2012, 05:29   #4474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Drive starring Ryan Gosling is a neat movie. It could have been better if they hadnt focused on keeping his mouth shut on the tooth pick. Nice background score. Dont expect any great performances esp from Ryan, anyone could have played this part. The movie's pace is fine, story is about okay, there are some simple action sequence but this is more like a melancholic movie about the main character with that ambient background score. Oh well, im feeling it a bit myself. 3/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I saw that movie in flight. Fell asleep 6 times while watching the movie. The movie was very helpful in avoiding jetlag.
. Watched it few weeks back. Its Ok but some violent scenes were a bit too much for my taste. I will give it 2.5/5.
Old 14th February 2012, 13:03   #4475
Senior - BHPian

Safe House: Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds(Green lantern)

Story is about a CIA operative who wants to prove himself but is made to work in a safe house as the house keeper. His life turns topsy turvy when the first person who he is supposed to protect is denzel washington(a person who has written all the interogation for CIA).

Slow start and catches pace. Is a nice movie and denzel is good as usual.

Rating 3/5
Old 14th February 2012, 14:16   #4476
BHPian

Movie Name: Tower Heist
Ben Stiller & Eddie Murphy
Its more of a Comedy/Thriller, loved it.
3.5/5 - not a must watch, but can watch!
Old 14th February 2012, 15:34   #4477
Senior - BHPian

Also saw Crazy, Stupid, Love starring Steve Carrell and Ryan Gosling. Yet another story about a couple facing midlife crises, among teens with raging hormones. Modern day comedy version of American Beauty i think, but dont beat me up for this comparison.
The movie has its funny moments, specially near the end. I liked the line, "Be better than GAP"
At best, its a good one time watch.

Also saw 50/50. Story of a guy who is diagnosed with some cancer. Mildly boring is how i can best put it as.

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 14th February 2012, 23:07   #4478
BHPian

Watched Wall-E, an animated PIXAR movie. Good plot with message and all. 3.5/5

And yeah, finally watched "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows". What a movie! Particularly liked the the climax scene depicting the mental calculative battle between moriarity ( chief antagonist) and holmes.
4.5/5
Old 14th February 2012, 23:58   #4479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
Movie Name: Tower Heist
i saw it too. its interesting though a little over the top in literal sense. some scenes are a bit difficult to digest but then its a movie so its forgiven.

overall it was good one time watch. comedy is spot on, not overdone. thrills are few and far. but still makes you feel good at the end. The ferrari GTO looks awesome.

a solid 3.5/5. i was expecting edge of seat thriller which i didn't get.
Old 15th February 2012, 00:22   #4480
Distinguished - BHPian

War Horse: A good movie. Whatever animal movies I have watched so far, I have fallen in love with those & have developed emotional bonding during the movie. However, War Horse doesn't take you to that level. But it's a nice movie over all. The war scenes are pretty nice, some of those will remind you of C.O.D game.

My Rating - 3.0/5.0
Old 15th February 2012, 19:43   #4481
BHPian

Drive (2011): Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan starrer, the movie is a cult IMO. IMDB rates it at 8.0. The opening scene soundtrack is simply superb, and tickles you to watch the movie with some extra attention.
Ryan is referred to as "Driver" throughout the movie, no name for him. Carey Mulligan has less diologues as is the case with Ryan. Both keep staring and smiling at each other in various scenes, often longingly .
Chevy Impala and a chase scene between a 2010 Mustang and a Chrysler justify the title i guess.
Some extreme violence and nude scenes are there.
It's a must watch, maybe more than twice.

My rating: 4.9/5

Warrior(2011): Must watch. Extremely entertaining, keeps you glued to the screen. Storyline is two brothers fight among themselves in Mixed Martial Arts world championship. Why and how they reach such a circumstance is the crux, and what keeps them fighting. brilliantly put together movie. IMDb rates it at 8.3.

My rating: 4.5/5

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th February 2012 at 21:39. Reason: back to back posts merged, thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 20:53   #4482
Senior - BHPian

Have been watching a lot of movies lately, as my college has decided that taking classes is probably harmful for us.

Rain Man:

Most of you here would have watched this movie. For those who haven't, please do. Here's a summary:

Dustin Hoffman plays an autistic savant, who is extremely high-functioning. He has an eidetic memory and is extremely good with numbers. Tom Cruise is a car dealer whose business is on the brink of bankruptcy. He attends his father's funeral and finds that all of his money has been entrusted with a mental institution. Here, he meets Dustin. The story is about how they bond over the next 6 days. Exceptional performances from everyone who was in the movie.
P.S. Extra brownie points from me as the opening scene shows Cruise taking delivery of 4 Lamborghini Countachs for his customers.
Rating: 4.5/5

The Help

It's the story of the colored domestic helps in the town of Jackson, Mississippi in the 1920's. A white girl, who wants to be a reporter, interviews these oppressed people and writes a book chronicling the hardships they had to face. Brilliant performances from almost everyone. The soundtrack is beautiful too. Definitely recommended. I wouldn't be surprised if it got the Oscar.
Rating: 5/5
Old 16th February 2012, 11:05   #4483
BHPian

Watched 3 movies last week:

1. New York, I love you:
Ten stories by ten different directors, on the theme of love in New York
Liked the stories by
Yvan Attal (middle aged couple in a bar - super script),
Shekhar Kapur (retired French opera singer contemplating suicide)
Natalie Portman (a divorced father takes his daughter to Central Park, being mistaken for a male nanny)
Rating: 4/5 (though its more an art movie, if you are an immigrant in a big city, you will connect well)

2. Platoon(1986): Charlie Sheen, William Dafoe
Can you spot Johnny Depp in blink-and-miss role? Charlie Sheen and William Dafoe are good. The story is set in the jungles of Vietnam where US marines turn onto each other.
Rating: 3/5

3. Crazy Stupid Love: Ryan Gosling, Steve Carell, Julianne Moore, Emma Stone
I am a BIG Ryan Gosling fan. Well its a story of a man (Steve Carell) going through divorce and how a young guy (Gosling) helps him discover his lost manhood. But then a huge twist in the tale with funny anecdotes.
Rating: 4/5

Last edited by rahul_sinha : 16th February 2012 at 11:06.
Old 16th February 2012, 11:31   #4484
BHPian

Watched The Ides of March yesterday. It depicts the dark side of the campaign management in US presidential primaries/elections.

George Clooney has transformed himself into an excellent writer-director with this movie. He is surely following the footsteps of Clint Eastwood I should say.

Excellent performances all around – George Clooney himself, Paul Giamatti, Philip Seymour Hoffman and the new star on the block Ryan Gosling.
Worth a watch!

My Take - 3.5/5
Old 16th February 2012, 11:37   #4485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
Movie Name: Tower Heist.
Saw this yesterday and its a very entertaining movie.

Also watched Puss in Boots and loved the movie. Brilliant visual effects and animation.

4.5 / 5

Coming up: Paranormal Activity III

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks