Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2012, 16:10   #4576
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Nice. Thank god i havent watched the latest copied version. I am being very picky and choosy in what i watch these days. I dont mind repeats if i love a movie.

Overall, my movie watching has become almost non-existent due to other interests like riding a bike taking precedence
Old 26th March 2012, 02:46   #4577
Senior - BHPian

Hunger Games

First thing first, I haven't read the book. So i didn't know what to expect. The trailers were nice and interesting. The movie is very well made. The story takes its time to build up the tempo of an interesting battle. I am sure from looks of it lots of battle is toned down to cater to teenagers and that is where i was disappointed. The good thing is, teasers were kept short and so you do see that movie has it all, action, romance, laughter, tears. I do feel some parts are missing but then i plan to read the book so i should be able to compare better. Also there are certain liberties taken with respect to story to give a better climax but then its expected of any potboilers.

The CGI is awesome. Feels very real. But same cannot be said about camerawork which i feel may not go down with all. Shaky, hand-held cameras are dramatic, artistic and realistic. But, they are annoying, distracting, occasionally nauseating, and do NOT provide the atmosphere you envisioned in your head. So i feel they should use stable, steady camera to get better feel.

The starcast while not popular provides good performance. Jenni Lawrence looks beautiful and acts very well. The 2:22 hours were well spent as its a well made movie from start to end with lots of surprises in store.

Overall, a solid 4/5 without reading the book. Will update as and when i am done reading the book. Hope its a faithful adaption.

Last edited by chevelle : 26th March 2012 at 02:48.
Old 26th March 2012, 09:27   #4578
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched "Hereafter"

This movie has Matt Damon in the lead and in a completely different character from the usual action movies. He plays a Psychic who can contact dead people.
The only problem with this movie is that it is a little slow and drags, especially the long parts which are entirely in French (almost 40 min!)

Rating: 3/5
Old 26th March 2012, 19:29   #4579
BHPian

watched 'the girl with the dragon tattoo'. was reluctant to watch that because of the 'punk emo' look of rooney mara. but god, what a film! superb acting by rooney mara and daniel craig.

two parallel plots going on to become one whilst solving a 40 year old murder/missing case.

i watched it twice and even watched the original swedish version featuring noomi rapace. great movie after a long long time!!!

4.5/5
Old 27th March 2012, 07:31   #4580
Senior - BHPian

Friends - do yourselves a favor and please give 'The Hunger Games' movie a miss. I did not read the books, and the trailer was very misleading for me to expect a fast paced action flick with uprising against tyranny.

Oh how I was so wrong - in reality its like a punch of Twilight (without the vampires) with overdose of love n emotion syrup and cheesy dialogues - mixed with any run of the mill bolly movie. Top that off with plenty of ham acting. There is always a feeling that something is gonna happen in the next 5 minutes which never happens.

2/5 from me.
Old 27th March 2012, 18:18   #4581
Senior - BHPian

Watched North Country (2005) starring Charlize Theron. Genre is drama and the movie is about a woman who goes to work in the mines and faces a lot of harassment and how she fights it out. Pretty intense at times and a must watch.

Rating - 4/5.
Old 5th April 2012, 22:46   #4582
BHPian

Watched A Moment to Remember (2004) - IMDb.

Quote:
A Korean love story about a young couple's enduring love, which is tested when 27 year old Sun-jin is diagnosed with a rare form of Alzheimer's disease.
Although not an English movie ( a Korean movie) it's an excellent romantic movie. The movie may seem a bit slow and the ending predictable but it'll bring tears to your eyes. Watch it with wife/GF - you'll love it.

Rating : 3.5/5
Old 9th April 2012, 12:00   #4583
BHPian

Watched "War Horse" last week. What a movie.
Man-Animal emotional-connect. Great Scottish locales and superb cinematography. The war scenes and character etchings just superb.
A bit slowish and long, but worked well for me.
Amazing to realise the unfathomable depths of Spielberg. Take a bow!
Old 9th April 2012, 12:07   #4584
Distinguished - BHPian

Dylan dog:dead of night

Starring: Superman!!
(brandon routh.sorry)

This may have slipped under the radar for most,
its not gotten good ratings anywhere, too.
But it is a good one time watch.

Its about vampires and werewolves, and about the Dylan character who used to the go between-er for the two to keep the peace, retired as a PI, and now forced to be back caught between vampires and wolves, and Zombies!!

its a dark-ish comedy with some film noir type narrations.
I'd give it 3/5
Old 9th April 2012, 12:10   #4585
Senior - BHPian

Saw "Children of Men" over the weekend. Awesome movie with great direction. The multiple single shot scene sequence have been shot brilliantly in the movie. Kudos to the director for the same! Story is thought provoking and based (with major plot changes) on the book by the same name.

4/5 *'s from my side
Old 9th April 2012, 20:48   #4586
BHPian

Watching "Wild hogs(2007)", as am typing this. Just took a break as am breathless from laughter. Hilarious biker movie, just what i want after a days work.
Edit:
The movie picked up a little serious tone with intro of another biker gang.

Last edited by deetee : 9th April 2012 at 21:12.
Old 9th April 2012, 22:01   #4587
Senior - BHPian

Man on Ledge

A good enjoyable one time watch movie. Loved the cast and their acting. Good to see Ed Harris after long time.The cinematography is spot on. They keep showing how high the guy is on the ledge compared to crowd below. The cheesy lines between Joey (Bell) and Angie (Rodriguez) makes you laugh and shake head sometimes. Rodriguez is hot though. While the man - Sam Worthington is on the hedge, there is a diamond heist going on which is exciting and makes this thriller a watchable affair.

A great pop-corn movie. Loved it.

4/5
Old 9th April 2012, 23:39   #4588
Senior - BHPian

Just finished watching 'Forrest Gump' on WB. I never ever felt bored even after watching this film 'n' no of times. This is one of my all time favorites. Tom Hanks, take a bow!!!
Old 10th April 2012, 08:32   #4589
BHPian

Watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel over the Easter weekend. Its a British comedy/drama portraying the lives of 7 retirees short on and planning settle in India. For a change, old age takes the centrestage in this movie and the cast have done a splendid job. Judy Dench, Maggie Smith and Bill Nighy deliver exceptional performances.
On the negative side, Dev Patel who portays the role of the hotel owner in India looked a bit out of sort.

My Take - 3/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Watched North Country (2005) starring Charlize Theron. Genre is drama and the movie is about a woman who goes to work in the mines and faces a lot of harassment and how she fights it out. Pretty intense at times and a must watch.

Rating - 4/5.
+1. A must watch movie and I think its a true story.

Last edited by C300 : 10th April 2012 at 08:43. Reason: Formatting
Old 15th April 2012, 23:03   #4590
BHPian

Watched few movies sometime back.

1. Letters to Juliet (2005) : An escapist love story, perfect recipe for a typical Yash-Raj films. A girl from States, on pre-marriage honeymoon, discovers true love in Europe.
BTW whats with this fixation to US-UK love stories. I mean, I have watched this in quite a few movies namely The Holiday & The made of honor. Not that I am complaining as long as the love happens in the picturesque Europe.
3/5

2. You Don't Mess with the Zohan : A bad movie, somewhat on the lines of Borat. But Borat was genuinely funny on most counts.
2/5

3. 17 Again : A movie about a guy on the verge of failed marriage, gets to go back in time and sort out issues with himself and his family. 2.5/5

Last edited by ritzy : 15th April 2012 at 23:25. Reason: Corrected the denominator in last rating.

Most Viewed