Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2012, 21:20   #4606
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Any reviews for Escape to Victory/Victory ?
Old 29th April 2012, 21:27   #4607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Any reviews for Escape to Victory/Victory ?
I must have watched it at least 20 times as I has a VHS cassette of the same when I was younger... lolz. Great movie. You cannot miss the football greats like Pele' and others in their prime. Some football scenes were breathtaking for that day and age especially the flip goal by Pele' in the climax - 4 Star Rating.
Old 29th April 2012, 21:46   #4608
Mtv
BHPian

I have "girl with the dragon tattoo" the book as well as the DVD. Which should I Watch/read first?
Old 29th April 2012, 22:16   #4609
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtv View Post
I have "girl with the dragon tattoo" the book as well as the DVD. Which should I Watch/read first?
The book first - its very good.

Haven't seen the movie though, so no comments.
Old 29th April 2012, 23:08   #4610
BHPian

The Avengers - 10/10.

Desperately tried to find faults with this one, but failed miserably .
Awesome flick. Each and every character has been given a fair share of screen time. But Bruce Banner and Tony Stark steal the show.
All in all, a fantastic roundhouse-kick-in-the-face entertainer. Dialogues are pretty neat. Comic timing is also seamlessly integrated into the movie. Does not look out of place, neither does it seem corny.

Must watch for every one I'd say. The missus liked it so much, that we are going again on Tuesday night
Old 29th April 2012, 23:44   #4611
Senior - BHPian

watched Haywire, Moneyball and The Iron Lady

Haywire is a wonderful movie. The girl is very talented. People may criticize that her acting is bland, well it has to be she is not an actor but a sports person, a martial arts expert.
A must watch.

The Iron lady : It about Margaret thatcher. A boring biographical movie. I mean i have seen and loved Bio-drama. but this is useless.

Moneyball : Now this is a great biographical movie. Brad Pitt is best as always. I don;t understand baseball a lot but you don't need to know either.
A must watch.
Old 30th April 2012, 11:50   #4612
BHPian

The Secret of Kells:
Animation Marvel; amazing visuals, a treat for those who love art when you notice the minutest detailing that has gone into making this movie. Labour of Love!

Must watch - if you have kids 5/5
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:22   #4613
BHPian

Watched Carnage yesterday night. Starring Jodie Foster, Kate Winslet, Christopher Waltz and John Riley, directed by Roman Polanski. Superb story, just 4 characters and how the layers of their characters are revealed shot after shot. The story involves discussions among parents of two kids, who had fought in school a day before. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Must watch - 5/5
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:15   #4614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
The Avengers - 10/10.

Desperately tried to find faults with this one, but failed miserably .
Awesome flick. Each and every character has been given a fair share of screen time. But Bruce Banner and Tony Stark steal the show.
All in all, a fantastic roundhouse-kick-in-the-face entertainer. Dialogues are pretty neat. Comic timing is also seamlessly integrated into the movie. Does not look out of place, neither does it seem corny.

Must watch for every one I'd say. The missus liked it so much, that we are going again on Tuesday night
Even I have the exact same sentiments, were supposed to go for Vicky Donor, Luckily was houseful and went for Avengers in 3D. Man it is a mind blowing movie which you dont want to end.Waiting for the interval to finish was getting on my nerves. Definitely a must watch, and now my wife wants to see individual movies of all the super heroes and then see the Avengers again. Iron Man completely steals the show!
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:15   #4615
Senior - BHPian

The Avengers

5 Stars

Amazing movie, though of course over the top in various places- but hey, we are talking 6 superheroes here! SO it better be over the top. More than the action sequences, the dialogues are really well thought out. It is not easy to give proper screen time to so many popular superheroes in such a small time frame, but the director has done a great job.

The chemistry between the heroes are crackling. As usual, Robert Downey Jr.'s suave dialogue delivery is brilliant. You just want to hear more and more of those acidic one liners. And the Hulk- lol. Awesome.

And the dark horse- Black Widow. Man SJ looks like a trillion bucks. Too bad she has comparatively less screen time.

All in all, a must watch!
Old 2nd May 2012, 22:28   #4616
Senior - BHPian

I guess this has been Good movie choice week after a long time.
after Haywire it is Machine Gun Preacher

i mean what a movie. Gerard Butler's best movie so far. Its about a American hilly billy named Sam Childers. I have never known about this man if not for this movie. What a man.?

"If your kids or family get kidnapped by a terrorists, and if i get em back safely, will you question me how I did it"

-Sam Childers.

Gerard Butler did total justice in portraying this man.

Its HIGHLY recommended.
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:04   #4617
Distinguished - BHPian

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-senna.jpg

Disclaimer: I am not a true blue F1 fan.

SENNA

Watched it yesterday. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

It follows Senna through his racing career, the start at go-carting, almost picture perfect F1 debut, his move to McLaren, rivalry with Prost, the politics within the FIA, first championship win, unjust disqualifications, the first win at home(brazil) and the eventual tragedy at San Marino.

All the real life clips woven together wonderfully make it a 'gripping' documentary. 5*
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:37   #4618
Distinguished - BHPian

Avengers
5/5

Great flick
Everything that you've seen over the past three years as far as superheroes go, comes together here.
The movie is in two parts , avengers,and hulk3!

And both are awesome!

I know this is just re stating previous comments, but do not miss this.
Old 3rd May 2012, 21:58   #4619
Senior - BHPian

After a weekend of Good movies, just when i thought i was selecting all good movies in a row. It jinxed.

Watch Catch 44 yesterday starring Bruce Willis. gave it a try because of obvious - Bruce willis.

What a horribly made movie.

One of those movies that makes you wonder " why was this movie ever made"

Please Avoid at any cost.
Old 3rd May 2012, 22:19   #4620
Senior - BHPian

THE AVENGERS
Expect some spoilers below.

Well A movie with so many superheros is expected to be swashbuckling, n Boy it is !!!!
For me Robert Downey Jr. as the amazing iron man/ cassanova millionaire Tony stark is the show stopper, the scene stealer. Wether it is the badass attitude that we are so used to seeing from Tony or the self sacrificing super hero towards the end, he does nt cease to amaze.

The Hulk is not far behind, although for most part he was hidden behind the calm persona of a Yogic Bruce Banner. (I did nt really miss Bana or Norton, Mark Ruffalo did a decent job himself)

Even before I went in for the movie, I had a hunch that Hulk will have a big role to play in how the movie develops and I was nt wrong. Take this for starters.
When the huge ugly reptilian alien monster comes to get the Avengers, cappy tells Bruce; 'Bruce this might be a good time to for you to get angry.'
Walking towards the Monster, Bruce turns back and says,

'Captain, Thats my secret. I m always angry.' He then keeps walking towards the monster, tears apart his shirt and transforms into The Hulk, willingly.

Take another instance, infact the only one in which The Cappy seemed to be in his element leading the team, After Cappy tells all the members except the hulk what is to be done by each of them, he turns to Hulk and says: ' And Hulk, Smaashhhh!!!'

N to top it all the way he flings Loki around as a piece of cloth and walks away with that look on his face. Its all stuff made for the fans.

Tom hiddleston on his part was pretty good too as The villain Loki. Chris Hemsworth as The Thor does a good job at looking like a God, wielding his mighty hammer conjouring lightning and all kicking some serious a%$$ all the while.
To be fair to them, Hawkeye and Black widow play their part pretty well to fill up the numbers.

The film has its share of super-heroic clichés and punchlines. For the fans there is even a slugfest between The Iron Man and The Thor only to be stopped by The Captain America himself. Thor and Hulk have a brief go at each other. Even Hawkeye and Black widow throw a couple of punches at each other. All that what you expect out of a regular ensemble of superheroes. Nothing new in that and not many surprises, But all that makes up for a wonderful viewing extravaganza that The Avengers is.

The fans will definitely love it and so do I.

Just cant wait for the sequel. Come on Marvel Dont make us wait too long.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks