Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2009, 14:43   #451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Caught up on "The Odessa File" starring Jon Voight. Based on Fredrick Forsythe novel, it was quite good and Jon Voight acted well in this Nazi thriller.

However, i found the book much better.

3.5/5

Coincidentally I am reading the same book for the third time!! FF is a master of his art.

Does anyone remember any movie based on a book which ended up being better than the book itself?
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:09   #452
BHPian

Watched Dog Day Afternoon starring Al Pacino. The movie is about an unprofessionally executed bank job by three friends led by Pacino's character. It's a very good movie but I was a tad disappointed because I expected/wanted more firework in John Cazale's character. BTW John Cazale played Fredo in GF2.
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:23   #453
BHPian

Dog Day Afternoon is a classic, man. Darkly comic and good performances, although a tad slow.

A better movie than the book.....ummmm.....Da Vinci code, maybe Angels and Demons as well. The stories on the books totally sucked. Details were nice though, which were captured well in the movie as well.
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:26   #454
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone seen: 'Undercover Brothers' ?
Super hilarious. A riot at that.
Old 2nd June 2009, 16:29   #455
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
A better movie than the book.....ummmm.....Da Vinci code, maybe Angels and Demons as well. The stories on the books totally sucked. Details were nice though, which were captured well in the movie as well.
My wife who had read 'Da Vinci Code' before watching the movie felt the book was much better than the movie adaptation. As for me, since i hadnt read the book, couldnt comment.
Old 2nd June 2009, 16:47   #456
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
That's strange. My wife & I have read the book much before it was made a movie. We were disappointed with the movie. In fact the book blows away the movie, too many details are left out from the movie to fit into the 2 hour show. Also, I didn't understand why they made Bishop Aringarosa as a bad guy in the movie, in the book is misled by the Teacher.

Also, one of my colleague read the book after seeing the movie. In fact, it was the first novel read in his entire life. He was literally shaken to the core that books can so much better than the movies, which was certainly the case here.

Angel & Demons is again an extremely good book, with vivid narration of every major point of interest in Rome. Hope they don't screw it up.
Old 2nd June 2009, 16:56   #457
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Does anyone remember any movie based on a book which ended up being better than the book itself?
Lord of the rings is one movie which I remember.
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:02   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
My wife who had read 'Da Vinci Code' before watching the movie felt the book was much better than the movie adaptation. As for me, since i hadnt read the book, couldnt comment.
I agree with your wife, the movie is nowhere close to the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's strange. My wife & I have read the book much before it was made a movie. We were disappointed with the movie. In fact the book blows away the movie, too many details are left out from the movie to fit into the 2 hour show. Also, I didn't understand why they made Bishop Aringarosa as a bad guy in the movie, in the book is misled by the Teacher.

Angel & Demons is again an extremely good book, with vivid narration of every major point of interest in Rome. Hope they don't screw it up.
Second that. The movie is sort of condensed, it leaves out many other underlying things. I can't remember them now, but there are plenty of things I felt were missing in the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Though it's visually stunning and one of my favourites, I still don't think it does justice to the book. Just my two cents
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:07   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Yup. Godfather.

Cant think of any other.
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:17   #460
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
Though it's visually stunning and one of my favourites, I still don't think it does justice to the book. Just my two cents
I have read the entire series including the Hobbit. I think it made more justice to the book than any other movie, but it is still so far away from book. A movie can never make justice to the book because the format doesn't allow it. The books have too many details that can't be fitted into movie format, it might confuse the audience.

BTW, I was quite shocked how much they deviated from the book in the "Return of the King". Faramir never tries to take Frodo to Minas Tirith, they make him look petty in the movie. Also, they completely removed the battle of Bywater in Shire. That would have been very interesting. I know, that would have made the movie 5 hours long.

I never read Godfather, so I can't comment.
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:23   #461
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have read the entire series including the Hobbit. I think it made more justice to the book than any other movie, but it is still so far away from book. A movie can never make justice to the book because the format doesn't allow it. The books have too many details that can't be fitted into movie format, it might confuse the audience.

BTW, I was quite shocked how much they deviated from the book in the "Return of the King". Faramir never tries to take Frodo to Minas Tirith, they make him look petty in the movie. Also, they completely removed the battle of Bywater in Shire. That would have been very interesting. I know, that would have made the movie 5 hours long.

I never read Godfather, so I can't comment.
Agreed and as you said it is very difficult to capture the details in the movie. Most of the times, the story is edited with the help of the author/writer to capture the theme of the book with changes here and there.

Regarding Godfather, I liked the book better. The movie became a hit because of outstanding performances from the actors and the direction. Very few movies can match this masterpiece. The writer Mario Puzo himself couldn't write a better script after this.
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:42   #462
BHPian

Lord of the Rings is a stunning book. Am a big fan of JRR and own all his books, including The Hobbit. Lots of details from the book were missing. Movie, although well made, does not even come close to the book.

Samurai, point about Da Vinci code is well made. What I was pointing to is the story in the book is very lame and uninspiring. Only all the symbolism/ interpretations and tidbits about Da Vinci and the Illuminati make the book interesting. I felt the story in the movie was tighter and more engrossing, albeit slow. Similarly, the story in Angels & Demons is just okay sorts, and the ending is ultra lame. Heard they changed the ending in the movie. Hope they changed it for the better.

Otherwise, any book centered movie that I can think of, be it Name of the Rose, Godfather, Day of the Jackal, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the Bourne series et al don't even come close to the book. My 2 cents...
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:50   #463
Senior - BHPian

One must watch "Butterfly on a Wheel" when it will be Telecast on Star Movies next time.
The first 30 mins sounds absurd,then the momentum picks up till the end which is a total climax.Dont
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:51   #464
Distinguished - BHPian

Since i used to be a book-worm before moving onto enjoying movies. I still consider books to be supreme in the way each detail is etched out that remains in your memory forever, whereas a movie cannot bring out so much detail, including the movie Godfather.

As a matter of fact, whoever read that book may agree with me, the book is simply awesome and i also agree that probably that is one movie that came a bit close to actual novel.
Old 2nd June 2009, 18:24   #465
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
The Bourne trilogy

Another movie i found as good as reading the book is the Bourne trilogy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks