Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2012, 11:34   #4726
Senior - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
That's probably Capoeira, not thai
Its Muay Thai

Quote:
if you re a fan, do catch flash point
Thanks; will do. But I'm not a fan of any Directors/Actors/Actress; I watch them randomly out of reviews. For example, if you take the movie Life is Beautiful, the actor/director Roberto Benigni has made a good fame only for this movie & not much anything after that. But that movie is a MUST watch for everyone.

Quote:
do make it a point : Once upon a time in china 1 & 2. 3 is okay, but not in the class of 1 & 2.
Have listed them above. Pls see

Quote:
More martial arts, then undisputable 2 & 3
Will do; Tks
Old 27th June 2012, 12:06   #4727
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Not a big fan of the real martial art movies, but currently Tony Jaa is supposed to be the king of this genre as per people who are big fans of this genre. I have seen one movie of his - Ong-Bak - the fights were amazing (no CGI, but real) but the movie itself I found it dreadful.
I have not been able to see Ong Bak fully, the story and acting is just too terrible. I've seen only the fight scenes.

But no, he is not realistic. When I said realistic, I mean what is possible in real street fight, and not just in choreographed fight. Bruce Lee was a supreme martial arts scholar, he founded the Jeet Kune Do philosophy of realistic street fighting. That is why he didn't bother with points & rules based tournaments. But he took part in many no-holds barred private challenge fights, which he won every time. If you closely watch his screen fights, you'll notice that he never does anything impossible to do. No defying the gravity, no superhuman acts, no wire stuff. His fight choreography was based on practical street techniques he used to teach via his books Bruce Lee's Fighting Method, I used to have some of those books. Since he was a real street fighter, I guess he abhorred the fancy moves that are impractical. No movie martial arts star in the later years stuck to such realism.

Old 27th June 2012, 12:12   #4728
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee
Its Muay Thai
I meant the guy doing a hand stand, and fighting with other limbs.
Old 27th June 2012, 14:21   #4729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
the story and acting is just too terrible
IMHO, even the fights are also too terrible like punching & falling upon each other & using elbow for punches

Quote:
But no, he is not...stuck to such realism
Saar, Bruce Lee is ultimate legend; absolutely no comparison + he's into Wing Chung, which I believe has got one of the fastest move in Kung Fu. And another important connection going through the childhood of Bruce Lee is that, he was involved in street fights. So, that should also be another reason.

Quote:
I meant the guy doing a hand stand, and fighting with other limbs.
Oh!!! ok.
Old 27th June 2012, 14:30   #4730
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
-----------SNIP-----------------
Saar, Bruce Lee is ultimate legend; absolutely no comparison + he's into Wing Chung, which I believe has got one of the fastest move in Kung Fu. And another important connection going through the childhood of Bruce Lee is that, he was involved in street fights. So, that should also be another reason.
-----------SNIP-----------------
Considering youre the only person I have heard mention Ip man, did you know that he trained (really did) Bruce lee?
Old 27th June 2012, 15:21   #4731
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Considering youre the only person I have heard mention Ip man, did you know that he trained (really did) Bruce lee?
Isn't that known to most Bruce Lee fans? BTW, by the time Bruce Lee showed up, Yip man was quite old. It was his son who really trained Bruce Lee.
Old 27th June 2012, 15:45   #4732
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't that known to most Bruce Lee fans? BTW, by the time Bruce Lee showed up, Yip man was quite old. It was his son who really trained Bruce Lee.
Oh, ok.
Not a bruce lee fan really.
I only found out towards the end of Ip Man 2, where a young kid shows up, flicks his thumb across his nose, and says "bruce lee!"
Old 27th June 2012, 17:33   #4733
Senior - BHPian

Samurai Sir - not sure, let me confirm it from sources; because by the time Mr Lee started his training, Mr. Yip-Man should've been around 59/60; he might've not actively trained, but still. Let me confirm it to you Sir in few days.
Old 27th June 2012, 20:23   #4734
BHPian

Indonesian martial arts movie. If you are a fan of Tony Jaa, this is the right movie for you. Awesome movie for one watch.

Last edited by Blue_V : 27th June 2012 at 20:28.
Old 29th June 2012, 14:16   #4735
BHPian

Watched The Amazing Spiderman 3d.
4/5 my paisa vasool.
Felt it was better than the first spiderman movie. Wont spoil it for the rest of you all but have a watchful eye. You may catch a glimpse of Stan Lee though most of the theatre didnt realise who he was.

Cheers.
Old 29th June 2012, 14:26   #4736
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Watched The Amazing Spiderman 3d.
4/5 my paisa vasool.
Felt it was better than the first spiderman movie. Wont spoil it for the rest of you all but have a watchful eye. You may catch a glimpse of Stan Lee though most of the theatre didnt realise who he was.

Cheers.
Thanks.
I was wondering whether its worth it to go and watch basically a retelling.

And about stan lee............Still???
He's been appearing in his flicks left right and centre for god knows how long now!
Old 1st July 2012, 23:50   #4737
Senior - BHPian

Caught Spider man today at DT Star after a brief showing at the TBhp Delhi meet.
I was apprehensive about the movie initially as I had begun to like Toby Maguire as the Spidey after three installations of spiderman I was not sure if Garfield would really be able to match up. But I got to say Andrew Garfield has done well not to make us miss Maguire.
The character development for Parker was good and they do talk a bit about his parents. Irfan Khan does nt have much to do but does hold his own well.
The 3 D effects were good, infact best among the non animated 3 D movies of late. Halfway through the movie you wont be overwhelmed by the 3D but once Spidey starts webslinging, it becomes a real treat.
Definitely a one time watch.
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:13   #4738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Caught Spider man today at DT Star after a brief showing at the TBhp Delhi meet.
I was apprehensive about the movie initially as I had begun to like Toby Maguire as the Spidey after three installations of spiderman I was not sure if Garfield would really be able to match up. But I got to say Andrew Garfield has done well not to make us miss Maguire.
The character development for Parker was good and they do talk a bit about his parents. Irfan Khan does nt have much to do but does hold his own well.
The 3 D effects were good, infact best among the non animated 3 D movies of late. Halfway through the movie you wont be overwhelmed by the 3D but once Spidey starts webslinging, it becomes a real treat.
Definitely a one time watch.
It was the best of the Spiderman movies and I felt that Andrew filled the role way better than Tobey. And Stan Lee's special appearance was a nice add.

Infact I felt this movie had better artists for all the characters, especially Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben. I didnt quite like Sally as Aunt May though, after seeing Rosemary's performance in the other movies.
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:53   #4739
Senior - BHPian

Watched the movie "J.Edgar" starring Leonardo Di Caprio. It is a true story about the founder director of FBI, a very clean and no nonsense man, not like how it is run today.
4/5.

Quote:
No, I understand the samurai and his avatar.
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:11   #4740
Senior - BHPian

More often than not, the British come up with some outstanding films that bank on maturity and storytelling rather than bamboozling you with multimilliion dollar CGI - 'Salmon fishing in the Yemen' is another British film that is neatly crafted to appeal to your finer senses. Do watch it on a Sunday evening at home.

4/5 from me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks