Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2012, 20:51   #4801
Senior - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am scheduled to watch " Total Recall" tonight.

I hope its as good as the original movie starring Arnie
how was it?

I am planning to watch it, decided to wait for your review.
Old 7th August 2012, 14:17   #4802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
how was it? I am planning to watch it, decided to wait for your review.
If you liked the original Total Recall starring Arnie, you will not like this movie.

Concept is almost similar with a few twists and turns

Some observations from my side :-

Colin Farell doesnt look acting wise and physically equipped to be main lead for this movie. Actually, I found him to be a mis-cast

Background sets even though very hitech looked to me from a B-grade movie ( Probably due to the color tone)

Kate Beckinsale was quite good and can be compared as the woman-version of Terminator. She was fast and good in action sequences.

Unlike the original movie where wierd objects, people were plenty, this movie has normal human beings except for one lady with an odd anatomy which was shown for a split second.

To summarize, I didnt like the movie and original movie was way better. Even though it was released in 90's it was much ahead of its time.

2/5
Old 7th August 2012, 15:37   #4803
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
To summarize, I didnt like the movie and original movie was way better. Even though it was released in 90's it was much ahead of its time.
I also liked the original (not watched the remake). But why ahead of its time? SFX was good without being great. The story itself is based on a Phillip K Dick story written in the 60s. Couple of other movies based on stories by him I liked are Minority Report and Paycheck.
Old 7th August 2012, 16:15   #4804
Senior - BHPian

Have you guys watched Spartacus ? Here's the IMDB link...

Spartacus (1960) - IMDb

If you liked Gladiator, then you will certainly like this one better. Most of the scenes in this movie has been dilligently replicated in the Gladiator.
Old 7th August 2012, 17:42   #4805
Senior - BHPian

Watched "The World's Fastest Indian". This is one hell of a motivational story and has elements that we Team-BHPians like (Speed. Lots of it). Anthony Hopkins as Burt Munro is fantastic, as is the cinematography. Here's the IMDb link: The World's Fastest Indian (2005) - IMDb

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-220pxworlds_fastest_indian.jpg

Last edited by shamik.bose : 7th August 2012 at 17:45. Reason: Inserting image
Old 7th August 2012, 17:54   #4806
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamik.bose View Post
Watched "The World's Fastest Indian". This is one hell of a motivational story and has elements that we Team-BHPians like (Speed. Lots of it). Anthony Hopkins as Burt Munro is fantastic, as is the cinematography. Here's the IMDb link: The World's Fastest Indian (2005) - IMDb

I saw this couple of years back. Beautiful movie and some scenes were very touching. Another movie that really touched me was Rear Window (Not the original but the remake starring Chris Reeves). The most touching part was that he was actually paralyzed while acting in that movie. Made me literally cry at times.
Old 7th August 2012, 19:08   #4807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I also liked the original (not watched the remake). But why ahead of its time? SFX was good without being great. The story itself is based on a Phillip K Dick story written in the 60s. Couple of other movies based on stories by him I liked are Minority Report and Paycheck.
Well, I meant the concept, execution and SFX was simply awesome in the original movie considering the time it was released especially when you compare the new TC movie.

When I saw the original movie in theatre, i came out with a fuzzy nice feeling but, this one just left a bad taste in my mouth and felt like taking this movie down with a vengeance

Btw, I liked MR and Paycheck too.
Old 8th August 2012, 16:17   #4808
Team-BHP Support

Being Flynn (2012) - IMDb

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-roberdenirogodfatherpart2.jpg

Looks like this

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-denirobeingflynn.jpg

This is a true story about a Father and Son.
I found it very depressing but it still redeems itself.

It will change the way you look at homeless people.

Excellent acting by everyone. I don't think anyone else could have brought so much arrogance into the role of Flynn. De Niro is simply awesome.
Old 8th August 2012, 16:33   #4809
BHPian

Quote:
"The Dark Knight Rises"

P.S: Does anyone like me think there is a 4th edition in store especially from the last few minutes footage?

4/5
Well I guess the 4th edition is in store with Robin around :-) The ending i felt was open and available for more story build.
Old 8th August 2012, 21:02   #4810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you liked the original Total Recall starring Arnie, you will not like this movie.

2/5
I am going to skip this and watch Ek Tha Tiger and Expendables 2
Old 13th August 2012, 16:27   #4811
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched "The Bourne Legacy" last evening

This movie is a continuation to the prior series of Bourne but, sadly does not come anywhere near the original 3 parts featuring Matt Damon who was perfectly cut-out for the Ludlum's novel based movie trilogy.

The movie is more or less shot in similar fashion with one shot of one global location and then immediately panning to a different location etc. Story revolves around the US government eliminating the field operatives of many covert operations and one such operative who escapes is Aaron Cross ( Jeremy Renner) and how he takes the help of a scientist (Rachel) to blow up this secret elimination program to smithereens

Movie isnt fast paced by any means and has many slow moments but, bursting in between with good action/chase sequences to keep you occupied till the end.

Jeremy Renner is not a patch to Jeremy Renner in emoting or action department. Rachel Wiesz looks disappointingly old and i wouldnt bare to see for too long as her skin has become almost haggard and she sometimes acts over the top.

Overall, a decent watch but, just a bit of warning dont expect it to be as good as the original series of Identity, Supremacy and Ultimatum.

P.S: This movie is worth a watch just for the bike racing sequence on crowded Manila's streets

3/5
Old 15th August 2012, 08:59   #4812

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
Watched "The Bourne Legacy" last evening

This ... wouldnt bare to see for too long as her skin has become almost haggard

3/5
Did you mean 'bear to see' ? May be a Freudian slip! Good review. Thanks

Rom
Old 15th August 2012, 10:57   #4813
Team-BHP Support

Saw Act of Valor yesterday night. Very nice action movie about how Navy Seals rescue a CIA agent and catch terrorists. This is based on a true story. All the lead soldiers were unknown faces, and their acting was quite sedate. I kept wondering why they chose these amateur actors who seem quite wooden in emotional scenes, while they did the action scenes quite well.

After the movie completed, I hung around for the cast names to roll up. Then I had the biggest shock of all.

All the soldiers were playing themselves, their screen name and real names were same, sometimes even the rank. All of them are real life active duty Navy seals.

No wonder their acting was sedate.
Old 15th August 2012, 11:45   #4814
BHPian

Thoroughly enjoyed "The Guard" a couple of days back. ( RT link The Guard - Rotten Tomatoes )

It's a great comedy which has brilliant dialogue. I had to pay attention to the dialogue to "catch the drift", so to speak; especially because of the Irish accents of most of the characters.
Old 15th August 2012, 12:06   #4815
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
All the soldiers were playing themselves, their screen name and real names were same, sometimes even the rank. All of them are real life active duty Navy seals.

No wonder their acting was sedate.
Thanks Samurai for this bit of information. Had seen this movie some time back, but never gave it much thought for similar reasons quoted by you. Just one change to the info shared by you - all of them are active duty Navy Seals, however their identity has been kept anonymous. The names that you see in the credits are not of the actual actors, but probably of those on who the movie has been based on.

Wiki link on this movie states this "The SEALs will remain anonymous, as none of their names appear in the film's credits".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks