Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2013, 10:49   #4996
Senior - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Django Unchained - Spaghetti western meets blaxploitation - and gives us the 'fastest gun in the south'!

The film can clearly be divided into 3 acts - the story develops in the first act, peaks in the middle act and climaxes but feels somewhat disconnected in the last act.
Not surprisingly, the best actors exit at the end of the second act.

The main takeaway from this film are the superb dialog interchanges among Christoph waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel L Jackson, and it's difficult to choose the best of the lot. I was surprisingly relieved when Leonardo Dicaprio held his ground quite firmly between two top notch character artists in the forms of Jackson and Waltz. Jamie Foxx is the obvious weak link who make up the main character quartet.

Some good background score and beautiful art direction (white cotton on plantation grounds getting sprayed crimson red with the blood of a Brittle brother!) with customary Tarantino over the top style of direction (gunfights and bloodbath!) gives this film a direction, but fails to give it a speed akin to 'Inglorious Basterds'.

Overall - a very watchable (repeat watches too!) Tarantino presentation, but not his best work till date.

4/5 from me.
Old 7th January 2013, 10:57   #4997
Senior - BHPian

Watched Flight starring Denzel Washington who plays the character of Whip Whitaker a commercial airline pilot.

On one of his flights the plane piloted by Whip develops a mechanical fault and goes into a nose dive while rapidly losing altitude. A miracle maneuver by Whip and he avoids a full scale disaster - the plane crash lands into a field with 6 fatalities. An investigation from the federal agents commences.

I wont reveal more on the plot but viewer discretion is advised since the movie contains some nudity, alcohol and drug abuse scenes.

Rating - 4/5.
Old 7th January 2013, 12:39   #4998
BHPian

I watched flight the other day. It wasn't quite what I expected , but that's a good thing!

I will just add a little bit to what Aditya said above.

Although the movie is entirely about Denzel Washington, the characters around him also adds substance to the movie. Denzel was as usual at this best. In the end he is the only one who provides an ounce of integrity to what really happened.

I would give it a rating of 4/5

P.S: Viewer discretion is strictly advised. Now, go watch the movie, the less you know walking in, the better the show will be.
Old 7th January 2013, 13:45   #4999
Senior - BHPian

I agree to both the statements below on Flight.

I liked the movie and I would give it 4/5 too.

BTW are reviews of documentaries allowed here? Saw 2 really good one in the last week.

Cheers
Old 7th January 2013, 20:58   #5000
BHPian

Trishna (2011) from Michael winterbottom starring Freida Pinto in lead

Based on Thomas Hardy's classic novel Tess of the D'Urberville, Freida plays one of the boldest acts ever done by an Indian actor in recent times.

The plot revolves around a girl thrown into the the Indian reality being used by circumstances and decisions. It truly goes to show how it feels like to be on the receiving end.

Characters can be very open and perverted at times.
4/5
Old 31st January 2013, 22:49   #5001
BHPian

Just saw Goal: The dream begins and Goal 2: Living the dream.

Rating: 9/10. What a movie! Highly recommended. It simply highlights the fact that you dont need stars to make a movie work, u need a good story.
Old 31st January 2013, 23:36   #5002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
Just saw Goal: The dream begins and Goal 2: Living the dream.

Rating: 9/10. What a movie! Highly recommended. It simply highlights the fact that you dont need stars to make a movie work, u need a good story.
And Goal 3 displays how one can screw up a good series, even though the previous movie ends with an inviting end (for the next part).

Flight : 4/5 - watch it for Washington if nothing else!

Django Unchained : 2.5/5 - plot goes awry in the 2nd half. Jamie Foxx is clearly not able to match up to his peers in the movie; it's unfortunate that the story had to be focused around him as the lead role. Samuel Jackson is the hidden (trump) card; he does a stellar job in such a minor role!

Any reviews on Gangster Squad and Broken City?

Last edited by ninjatalli : 31st January 2013 at 23:48.
Old 1st February 2013, 00:02   #5003
BHPian

was bored of my 16 hrs workdays that I wanted to watch a no brainer movie...saw 'Fire with Fire' on Netflix which has B Willis and Josh Duhamel in a typical hollywood masala movie with a bollywood ending ...aka, hero walking over leaping flames with the heroine in his arms.
Old 1st February 2013, 02:26   #5004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
was bored of my 16 hrs workdays that I wanted to watch a no brainer movie...saw 'Fire with Fire' on Netflix which has B Willis and Josh Duhamel in a typical hollywood masala movie with a bollywood ending ...aka, hero walking over leaping flames with the heroine in his arms.
I saw this movie and got me thinking why did Bruce Willis accept this role. I was hoping for some action from him but he doesn't even raise a gun.
Old 1st February 2013, 04:42   #5005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I saw this movie and got me thinking why did Bruce Willis accept this role. I was hoping for some action from him but he doesn't even raise a gun.
felt the same ...either he was totally jobless or he owed something to 50cents ( one of the producers of the film)
Old 1st February 2013, 08:29   #5006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
And Goal 3 displays how one can screw up a good series, even though the previous movie ends with an inviting end (for the next part).

Have to agree with your statement. BTW, what i dont seem to understand is why websites like Rotten Tomatoes gave Goal 1& 2 a 4/10 rating. I mean, come on, it was an awesome movie. Delivered a solid message in a very subtle way. What was missing? Each and every characted played their respective roles with such individuality, it was hard to believe that i was watching a movie. And make no mistake, i am not a soccer fan at all.
Old 1st February 2013, 11:11   #5007
BHPian

I would recommend 'Game Change' its a movie about the 2008 presidential campiagn of McCain.
Old 2nd February 2013, 22:15   #5008
Distinguished - BHPian

Midnight's children.

It's an ok watch, nothing to justify any angst it had caused as a book.
I haven't read the book, and I know most books are not carried over faithfully to movies, but I seriously could not understand what concept could have created so much furore if written.
I love the bits filmed close to the 40s and fifties.
But the movie tapers off very weirdly post emergency.

Good for spending 2 hours if the tickets are free like they were for me.
3/5
Old 2nd February 2013, 22:36   #5009
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Midnight's children.

It's an ok watch, nothing to justify any angst it had caused as a book.
I haven't read the book, and I know most books are not carried over faithfully to movies, but I seriously could not understand what concept could have created so much furore if written.
I love the bits filmed close to the 40s and fifties.
But the movie tapers off very weirdly post emergency.

Good for spending 2 hours if the tickets are free like they were for me.
3/5
What angst or furore did Midnight's Children cause? Indra Gandhi was upset and filed a case because of a few sentences, but otherwise it wasn't a very controversial book at all, IIRC. I may be wrong because this is all a distant memory.
Old 2nd February 2013, 23:38   #5010
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

What angst or furore did Midnight's Children cause? Indra Gandhi was upset and filed a case because of a few sentences, but otherwise it wasn't a very controversial book at all, IIRC. I may be wrong because this is all a distant memory.
My bad.This one didn't, as much as verses.
In the movie itself, even that bit is not reflected .All I was thinking during the time the emergency is shown is, "hey, sin city! ".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks