Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:21   #5011
J.Ravi

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Last night, I enjoyed watching Steven Spielberg's period film War Horse on Star Movies HD channel. All have done their job extremely well. The horse, Joey, outperformed all other actors! The cinematography was excellent.

My rating: ***** [5/5]

Old 3rd February 2013, 13:16   #5012
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched "The Terminal" yet another time. One of those few movies, I just don't mind watching again & again without getting bored. Love Tom Hanks for his performance. Brilliantly sculpted movie - Steven Spielberg, Hats Off to you!

Rating :: 5/5!
Old 3rd February 2013, 19:30   #5013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
I would recommend 'Game Change' its a movie about the 2008 presidential campiagn of McCain.
Just watched the movie and I would one of the most gripping political behind the scenes movie I have seen in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.

To understand the authencity of the movie, check this out

Last edited by Vid6639 : 5th February 2013 at 18:03. Reason: fixing the youtube link.
Old 4th February 2013, 14:36   #5014
BHPian

Watched movie Parker yesterday at Prasads IMAX
Starring* Jason Statham, Jennifer lopez

This movie runs at an uneven pace. Parker, a thief gets double-crossed, gets shot and then is then left for dead. (As usual he plays a good-bad guy) Our hero then gets rescued by some good folks and so begins the battle for revenge. The action is everywhere.. Its fast, good but effective and bloody in execution. Simply put, its creative. They hit each other with everything they can find including a TV, toilet tank and what not. Albeit certain scenes are way too bloody.

JLO is good but the chemistry between Parker and JLO is nothing to write about. I always like to see this dude in the driver seat of a fast-paced thriller. That's where he usually shines. Anyways, in the end, this is not a bad flick if keep your expectations low. This one could have been much much better movie but it is what it is now, so watch this one with a suspension of disbelief.

Note: The film is violent and at times it gets gruesome. It also contains a bit of gratuitous nudity. Definitely not for kids!

My rating: 3/5 (only because I love action movies plus I am big fan of Jason)
Old 5th February 2013, 07:09   #5015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Jamie Foxx is the obvious weak link who make up the main character quartet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Django Unchained : 2.5/5 - plot goes awry in the 2nd half. Jamie Foxx is clearly not able to match up to his peers in the movie; it's unfortunate that the story had to be focused around him as the lead role. Samuel Jackson is the hidden (trump) card; he does a stellar job in such a minor role!
Just recently finished watching Django Unchained in parts. For a character on whom the title is based, Django has a silent role, no good dialogues, and not even enough action. There are chinks in the whole character buildup. They might as well have named the film Schultz Unrestrained! So I would not blame Jamie for not doing enough. He was not allowed to do enough. The other characters were better defined and had better dialogues.

Having said that, I loved the movie for its cinematography and in general love Tarantino's over-the-top styling in his movies. Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DeCaprio and Samuel Jackson all three were superlative in their acting as was Jamie with whatever role he got finally.

Rating: 3.5/5

Last edited by nileshch : 5th February 2013 at 07:15.
Old 5th February 2013, 08:39   #5016
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post

Just recently finished watching Django Unchained in parts. For a character on whom the title is based, Django has a silent role, no -------------r role he got finally.

Rating: 3.5/5
Is this based on, or a sequel to ,the original? Django dragging a coffin around? Wow, I didn't even notice when this came and went.
Old 5th February 2013, 09:30   #5017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Is this based on, or a sequel to ,the original? Django dragging a coffin around? Wow, I didn't even notice when this came and went.
Naah, totally different. The current one is made by QT and is a runaway success everywhere. I guess you didn't notice because it hasn't been released in India. The release date in India is march end
Old 5th February 2013, 09:49   #5018
BHPian

Yes, this is a new movie totally unrelated to the original Django, though I think they have taken the introductory soundtrack from that one.

I loved the movie enough to go watch it in the theatre once again!
Old 5th February 2013, 10:05   #5019
BHPian

watched ARBITRAGE starring richard gere and susan sarandon, very nice movie about a person in the middle of selling his company, would rate it 4/5
Old 5th February 2013, 10:47   #5020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
watched ARBITRAGE starring richard gere and susan sarandon, very nice movie about a person in the middle of selling his company, would rate it 4/5
Prashant - I second that. Interesting twists and turns, ending is not what I expected it to be. Richard has done a fantastic job..
Old 5th February 2013, 11:39   #5021
BHPian

Watched Forrest Gump yesterday. Tom Hanks performed one of his very best in this awesome package of a film . Even with a running time of 2 hours 22 minutes, the narration made sure it isn't felt much. The films shows with a ALOT of comedy that great achievements can be made, even with a lower IQ. And no wonder it bagged 6 oscars!
A deserving 5/5.
Old 7th February 2013, 23:12   #5022
Distinguished - BHPian

Lincoln

Brilliantly done. And you can see Spielberg's migration from what he was, to now. I watched war horse yesterday. He's becoming even better, if possible.
My only problem is, I want to sound hoi- polloi, and say oh what acting, what drama, what presence.
But to be frank, I appreciate the story telling, and the enormity depicted, but I was bored like hell. Till the intermission, I was hoping that he would bring out his axe and get some murdering vampires!

Go and watch if in the mood for good cinema. Being entertained however, for me, didn't happen.
Old 16th February 2013, 01:52   #5023
ACS
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched Django Unchained!

Another one from Tarantino, this time with an ensemble cast. Christoph Waltz steals the show, his dialogue delivery is awesome and unmatchable. Leonardo is superb as always and Samuel L Jackson's role is surprising and an attention seeker. Altogether Jamie Foxx has nothing to do or his performance is hidden by others. Background score, cinematography are up to the mark. A must watch from my opinion(Fans of Waltz can watch this twice).

My rating: 4.5 out 5
Old 16th February 2013, 02:58   #5024
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Yeah i watched Django recently. Frankly speaking, it was a huge let down from Tarantino. There is literally nothing in the movie as far as the story goes. It was more predictable than any Bollywood action movie. It didnt come across as a movie that even Tarantino was serious about when making. I mean, characters from 19th century wearing pink sunglasses was a bit too much to digest.
Christoph Waltz's acting style became tiring half an hour into the movie. Jamie Foxx looked least interested in playing his role. Leonardo and Samuel do bring some entertainment but that still does not do much to save the movie.

QT could have done a lot better. Even his most ardent fans agree on this.
Old 16th February 2013, 10:32   #5025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Yeah i watched Django recently. Frankly speaking, it was a huge let down from Tarantino. There is literally nothing in the movie as far as the story goes. It was more predictable than any Bollywood action movie. It didnt come across as a movie that even Tarantino was serious about when making. I mean, characters from 19th century wearing pink sunglasses was a bit too much to digest.
Christoph Waltz's acting style became tiring half an hour into the movie. Jamie Foxx looked least interested in playing his role. Leonardo and Samuel do bring some entertainment but that still does not do much to save the movie.

QT could have done a lot better. Even his most ardent fans agree on this.
I'll have to agree on that! Sad, but true. The only characters I liked in the movie were Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz) and Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio). Jamie Foxx was pathetic; as he was being forced to act in the movie! Denzel Washington could have done a better job and would have suited the character better.

Psst. Them glasses were purple

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks