Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2013, 19:19   #5056
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Tropa De Elite (Elite Squad)

Saw this awesome movie last weekend. Its a Brazilian movie about two honest cops in Rio, dealing with corruption, drug dealers and violence, against the backdrop of a special police unit (BOPE). The movie is actually a narrative by a captain in that special police unit.
Highly recommended!

Rating 3.5/5.0.

Tropa De Elite 2

Since I found the first part very interesting , I got hold of the second part. Skeptical I was, since sequels are usually never as good as the original. But boy was I wrong. This one is actually even more amazing than the original!! Very gripping with its twists and turns.
Very highly recommended!

Rating 4.5/5.0.

PS : You got to watch the first part before watching the second , the story carries on where the first one left off.
Old 21st March 2013, 02:18   #5057
BHPian

"Zero Dark Thirty"

Saw it yesterday on Blu-Ray. I had mixed feelings after watching it. It seemed something was missing, didn't find it as exciting and nail biting as i expected it to be. Felt too rushed at some points. I enjoyed "The Hurt Locker" more.

Another reason could be since i have read so much about Abottabad operation, guess that might have diluted the whole experience.

Overall, i will give it 3.5 out of 5. It is worth one time watch due to brilliant acting by ensemble cast.

I strongly feel the prequel i.e. tracking down of Osama will make a thrilling story.
Old 21st March 2013, 12:23   #5058
BHPian

Happened to see "Collateral" on one of the movie channels recently.

Starring Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx

A superbly directed and acted thriller. Fast paced and very slick performances by both the lead actors. Highly recommended.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369339/

Rating - 5/5
Old 21st March 2013, 12:30   #5059
Distinguished - BHPian

Company of Heroes

If you are any kind of WW2 fan(atic), do catch this. We are a starved lot as far as good WW2 flicks with good production are concerned, and this ticks the box.
Beautiful shots in Belgium, and the rest of Europe, quite authentic equipment, and a good storyline about the last thrash of the Reich as far as weaponry goes.
This one is about the A-bomb that the Reich was testing(just fictional expansion on the fission projects).

Nicely done, no starcast as such, but does have Vinnie Jones, so that means good punchups.

Do catch.
5/5
Old 24th March 2013, 02:12   #5060
Distinguished - BHPian

Olympus Has Fallen - 2.5/5

An okiesh movie. Butler & Rick Yune (of Ninja Assassin / Die Another Day fame) hold the fort with gutsy performances; Morgan Freeman & Aaron Eckhart are hardly used, with secondary roles. An a-la-Die Hard kind of setup, with an one-army-hero format, the action sets don't let you down; however logic gets tossed out of the window several times during the movie.

Overall, an average so-so movie.
Old 25th March 2013, 17:14   #5061
Distinguished - BHPian

Have 2 movies in my collection if your girlfriend or wife likes romantic movies (& that should include 99% of the girls around).

If Only: Very creative plot. I was unable to guess what would happen at last until the last scene unfolded. Romantic to the core. Rating 4/5

A Walk to Remember: How a 'bad guy' matures while in love...Great watch. Romance is all in the air! Rating 4/5
Old 29th March 2013, 12:36   #5062
Senior - BHPian

Django Unchained (2012) - 4.5 Star Rating - Tarantino's classic. Quentin is growing from strength to strength. He has tried his hands at each and every genre' of films and now it's his turn to do his ode to his own brand of Western/Comedy. And what a style he has. But in the end its a love story. Don't miss him blowing himself up in the climax. That made my day... Not to be missed.
Old 29th March 2013, 16:08   #5063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Have 2 movies in my collection if your girlfriend or wife likes romantic movies (& that should include 99% of the girls around).

If Only: Very creative plot. I was unable to guess what would happen at last until the last scene unfolded. Romantic to the core. Rating 4/5

A Walk to Remember: How a 'bad guy' matures while in love...Great watch. Romance is all in the air! Rating 4/5
Add "Notebook" to that. One of my favorite romantic movies. I'd like to rate it at 4.5/5

One more movie I like a lot is "Letters To Juliet". Just the feel of the movie is very good. Although the imdb rating not that good, my personal rating would be 3.75/5
Old 29th March 2013, 18:25   #5064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Django Unchained (2012) - 4.5 Star Rating - Tarantino's classic. Quentin is growing from strength to strength. He has tried his hands at each and every genre' of films and now it's his turn to do his ode to his own brand of Western/Comedy. And what a style he has. But in the end its a love story. Don't miss him blowing himself up in the climax. That made my day... Not to be missed.
Watched it twice few days back.
Liked it a lot, especially the scene where Dr. Schultz shoots Monsieur Candide and says, I couldn't resist the temptation
Old 30th March 2013, 13:29   #5065
Distinguished - BHPian

G.I. Joe: Retaliation : 2/5

I am a die hard fan of the GI Joe franchise. As a kid, used to spend all day playing with the toys and watch every cartoon. As a movie, the franchise really lets you down. Came out half-satisfied in the first movie; thought it could do with some more action and lesser computer graphics. But still it was watchable.

Well, my wishes came true. If you are an action-junkie, then head straight to the movie hall. The 2 stars are for the action scenes - the movie is literally a series of action cuts. However there is nothing else; no logic, no storyline, no sense at all. The movie is a mess with supposedly villains becoming heroes and ninja-masters becoming gun-toting fighters.

As Rajeev Masand correctly puts it here, "The film's storyline is a convoluted mess, more confusing than Kangana Ranaut's accent"

The only silver lining - it's clearly far better than Himmatwala for sure!
Old 30th March 2013, 14:00   #5066
Senior - BHPian

^ thanks for the heads-up! Saved me 300/- plus snacks

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st April 2013 at 21:09. Reason: No Talks about Piracy please, thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 20:41   #5067
BHPian

Watched:
1) Safe House
Rating: 4/5
Summary: CIA safe houses for turn in assets is busted. A high profile asset (Denzel Washington) needs to be taken care.

2) Inside Man
Rating: 5/5
Summary: Bank Robery job.

In both the movies Denzel Washington Rocks!

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 1st April 2013 at 20:44.
Old 1st April 2013, 20:51   #5068
Senior - BHPian

The Machinist - 4/5

Wow, I love dark dramas - slow moving with some great acting. And this was just the one for me. Though the story line isn't all that great, it still held my interest. Christian Bale has, as usual, acted amazingly well. If you see him in the movie, you won't really believe that it was him. He'd lost a whole lot of weight for this role and played it really well. Wow, what an actor!
Old 2nd April 2013, 11:47   #5069
Distinguished - BHPian

2 flicks this weekend

1. GI JOE Retal

Well, just one thing. If you want the rock to carry the movie, give him more maal to do, dont share his presence.If you want Bruce Willis to carry the movie, give him more maal to do, dont share his presence.
If you plan to go 1/2 on both of them, it wont work , i mean AS well.Brilliant action sequences, good for a non-weekend ticket only.
3/5

2. Trespass
Nicholas cage delights again, with his quirky acting.
A diamond dealer, his family is taken hostage along with him.Taut, crisp, over before you know it.
Good catch with a litre bottle of coke and large bag of chips.
5/5
Old 8th April 2013, 20:57   #5070
BHPian

F1 Fans! Here's a teaser to a movie I am very much looking forward to!
The epic battle between the legendary James Hunt & Niki Lauda! RUSH!!

Hope the movie turns out to be as awesome as the trailer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks