Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2013, 08:42   #5326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

Oblivion

I am starting to mark Tom Cruise to "Do Not Watch" category. He looks & feels the same in all movies. The movie had two things to watch out for Morgan Freeman & those amazing Drones. Storyline is nice but predictable.

2.5/5
What a surprise! I watched oblivion yesterday too. Oh by the way, it is Tom Cruise and I too have put him down in the not to watch category. Elysium releasing on 27th this month has a similar story line but great visuals. Watch that one. Morgan Freeman didn't have much of a role but like you said the Drones were amazing!

Also watched "Epic" yesterday. Felt it was a repeat theme on nature and the depth in the characterization was missing. The villan just peters out in the end. 1.5/5

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st September 2013 at 12:52. Reason: Changing Tom Hanks to Tom Cruise in quoted text
Old 18th September 2013, 11:58   #5327
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
While I too am eager to watch it, I wonder how much relevant Robocop would be today when Ironman is the current human Robot superhero.
yep, can't compare Robocop to Iron Man; he comes with all the bells and whistles nevertheless, Robocop is to Detroit what Batman is to Gotham City, while not being rich and famous.

i still get goosebumps when he pulls out that gun of his
Old 18th September 2013, 15:53   #5328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Ordered 12 English Movie DVD's from Amazon.in

Average cost of each DVD : Rs. 125
Cross-posting from a different thread...

Which movies mobike ?
Old 18th September 2013, 16:02   #5329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Which movies mobike ?
Actually 11 movies.

Basic Instinct
Poison Ivy 1, 2, 3
Death Race 2
Chaos
Last House on the Left
Ransom
Deja Vu
Cabin Fever
The Fog

I selected the movies with price between Rs.0-100 and 100-200

Iam more or less satisfied with the quality. Will search for more and order more as this pricing is lesser than watching once in Showcase or in a theatre. Next order maybe after a couple of months
Old 18th September 2013, 18:23   #5330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay S View Post
What a surprise! I watched oblivion yesterday too. Oh by the way, it is Tom Cruise and I too have put him down in the not to watch category.
Thanks for clarifying. Was a bit shocked to see this comment about Mr. Hanks..
Old 18th September 2013, 21:37   #5331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay S View Post
Oh by the way, it is Tom Cruise and I too have put him down in the not to watch category.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Thanks for clarifying. Was a bit shocked to see this comment about Mr. Hanks..
see how much boring he was

Thanks for correcting.
Old 21st September 2013, 12:15   #5332
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched "RUSH" last evening.

I dont have to say much after the fantastic review by avi550 in the other thread. I concur with his views completely.

This is a must watch for people who love automobiles, spirit of racing and respect the attitude of good camaderie.

As we all know its based on single GP season of 1976 which witnessed the legendary tussle between Hunt and Lauda. The entire movie revolves around these two main protoganists and touches on their emotions, feelings both on and offtrack.

Hunt is extremely charismatic whereas Lauda was exactly the opposite with an intense wish to be on top of his profession. Dialogues are the reason this movie grabs you by the throat and doesnt let go till the credits come in ( incidentally when the entire theatre started clapping, so you can imagine the quality and content of this movie as these days hardly there are movies worth talking about let alone getting up and give resounding applause

Director of photography and general scene created of 70's is the most commendable part of the movie and perfectly compliments the overall script and direction. The sound of the engines will make your spine tingle and will make you realize why we love cars so much

You will not hate either of the pratoganists and director serves up their attitude in such a way that you will come out of the movie and keep thinking whom you like the most HUNT or LAUDA?

Even my mom who is not even an english movie buff and far from liking anything related to automobile also enjoyed it throughly.

Cutting a long story short. It is a MUST watch movie either you or an automobile fan OR not.

5/5 ( I dont give 5/5 for any movie but, this movie really deserves all stars including my personal thought that it should certainly go for the oscars as well)

P.S: Oh yeah, James Hunt is so extremely handsome. It seems almost surreal, great selection of stars as both looked really close to the original drivers

Last edited by mobike008 : 21st September 2013 at 12:16.
Old 21st September 2013, 12:40   #5333

Saw "2 Guns" yesterday. Its a fun movie with average plot.

Wahlberg seems to be the centre of attention and while Denzel does his bit well, he seems a bit aged in the movie.

Paula Patton looks hot but has little screen time overall.

Watch it in theatres if you really like the star cast. Else its worth waiting for DVD (for more than one reason) ;-)
Old 21st September 2013, 12:59   #5334
Team-BHP Support

A reluctant fundamentalist.
Lovely movie from Mira Nair. Really liked it but I haven't read the book though.
Crisp cinematography with very tight scripting.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-reluctant.jpg
Old 21st September 2013, 13:08   #5335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Watched "RUSH" last evening.
Yeah .. me too, night show. Hadn't heard much about it earlier, but saw its review on Rediff (http://www.rediff.com/movies/review/...s/20130920.htm) and was intrigued to catch it up.

The movie, per se, turned out to be amazing (as already been detailed above), though I would add that its not just the automobile lovers who would like it, its a high octane F1 story presented with appropriate humane characterizations of both Hunt and Lauda which everyone should like. You would initially like to pick up sides based upon your preference to flamboyance and methodical-ism, however by the end of it you would equally like both the characters.

Would go with 4.5/5.
Old 24th September 2013, 00:39   #5336
Senior - BHPian

World War Z (movie) - Had this been an original screenplay, still would have been a regulation zombie flick with the 'fast' zombies around.

But the fact that it is adapted from Max Brooks' book/audio book really puts the book and it's future readers in jeopardy.

Guys - if you liked the theme of the movie, do please read the book - it's a world apart from the movie (in a good way) with it's nonlinear episodic content.

World War Z was supposed to be a super tough movie to make - sadly, although the visuals are top notch, the Brad Pitt starer simply fails to deliver on the legendary high standards set by the book.

2.5/5 from me.
Old 24th September 2013, 02:32   #5337
Senior - BHPian

Watched The Sum of All Fears

Stumbled upon this movie when Netflix suggested this movie to me.

The movie is based on Tom Clancy's novel of the same name. This movie is about how a secret group of wealthy European neo-Nazis, fascists, and white nationalists set Russia & US on a path where both nations would be forced to use Nuclear weapons against each other.

The only person preventing this to happen is CIA operative Jack Ryan whose mission is to clear the confusion & prevent a Nuclear war.

Great performances by the cast & good direction. A must watch

4/5
Old 24th September 2013, 15:25   #5338
Distinguished - BHPian

The worlds end:

Its funny how a even bad british comedy is better than most american fares.
This one has Simon pegg, and its about him getting his old friends back together to finish the golden mile of pubs in their hometown that they were not able to after they graduated years ago.
Lots of intoxication ensues?famiilar?
Shouldnt be. because everyone in their hometown is now an ALIEN!!
gotta love that.
Easy watch, but really great.
Still ...
3/5

World War Z
So much money, so much hoopla, stars, and this is what they came up with?
You can have this running in the background while making dinner.
2/5

Shutter Island(
i know..)
The great gatsby
J Edgar

All three together, why?
one line only.
WHAT does dicaprio have to do to win an Oscar?
These are brilliant flicks. Absolutely brilliant, especially gatsby, which almost literally transports you back in time, it is so well presented.
Solid 15/15.

Old 30th September 2013, 11:28   #5339
BHPian

Saw two contrasting movies this weekend Elysium & Prisoners.

First off, Elysium:
Directed by Neil Blomkamp, it is set in the distant future and touches upon themes such as discrimination, rich-poor divide. The movie had a nice concept. But alas, some of the performances in the film are way over-the-top. Matt Damon is restrained and does well in his role. On the other hand Sharlto Copley is over-the-top as the antagonist and another Brazilian actor who plays Spider in the film hams it up no end. A bit of a let-down considering it has recieved generally positive reviews.

2.5/5 for Elysium

Prisoners:
Delicious thriller. Edge of the seat stuff. Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal, Paul Dano & Terrence Howard give terrific performances. A word for Gyllenhaal. He is terrific as the sometimes weird, sometimes creepy Detective Loki. Nicely acted, well directed and top class cinematography. Though the final act is a bit long drawn, overall the movie works. It may not be as good as Zodiac, the other Gyllenhaal starrer, but still a must-watch.

4/5 for Prisoners.

Last edited by the_flying_B : 30th September 2013 at 11:42. Reason: Spell Check
Old 7th October 2013, 22:27   #5340
Senior - BHPian

Watched Following Movies

IronMan 3

Great effects, amazing sound & techno wizardry marred by poor storyline but then who watches Ironman for story

Ben Kingsley was amazing, the way he switches from American to British accent is worth taking a note.

The ending has kept me wondering about what happens in next movie. Overall a good entertainer

3.5/5

Redemption

This movie stars Jason Stathom as British Veteran who goes absconding after facing a trial in an event that happened during the War in Middle East. The movie is about he tries to pull together & be back on track in life.

Nice storyline but poor narration & direction is what keeps you distracting. Has a few Jason Stathom Fight moments but that's about.

2/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks