Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2013, 10:04   #5341
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

White House Down: 3.5 / 5

Quite a bit late for the review, but nevertheless. I kind of liked the movie. It kept me engrossed from start to end. The action is great, nothing much over the board.

Channing Tatum is OK and so is Jamie Fox. Channing Tatum lacks the finesse of Matt Damon (Bourne series) or even Bruce Willis, required in an action movie.

Ofcourse there are few lose ends, how easily the terrorist walk into the White House and roam around like its Central park, the 'bad' guy realizing Emily Cale is actually John Cale's (Channing) daughter at the very end, how combat choppers are brought down like pack of cards by the terrorists, etc.

But its worth a watch.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 8th October 2013 at 10:07.
Old 12th October 2013, 17:17   #5342
BHPian

Saw Gravity (3D)

Verdict: On the surface, Gravity would not seem to be a movie that would interest you, esp on the premise; A medical engineer and an astronaut work together to survive after an accident leaves them adrift in space.

But that statement cannot convey even 1/10,000th of the emotion, drama and especially the oh-so-glorious visuals that you get.

Gravity stands out for it's breathtaking sights, as you feel like an astronaut suspended in space, overlooking earth. Indeed, the first 10 minutes seems to be dedicated to just soaking in the view. Of course, then an accident happens which leaves you stranded in space. Stranded, in just your spacesuit. Sounds scary, right? It is.

Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are the two big names that would draw in viewers, and they are right on form. While Clooney seems to play, well-Clooney, his lighthearted charm is reassuring in what is otherwise a very tense movie. But this movie belongs to Sandra Bullock, who is a rookie in Space. She makes you feel like you are with her all the way, and want her to survive.
A brilliant performance, to say the least.

Yes, at just 90 minutes long, you might be wondering, is it worth paying for a premier show ticket for this. Again Yes. There is no excess, no time wasted. The action keeps moving and you feel the tension. The haunting soundtrack adds to the action.

Negatives? Well, some dialogue is incredible cheesy, and for a few moments, the action does seem to drag.

But this is just a small qualm. Gravity is one of the best movies I've seen all year, and I love it just as much as I loved RUSH. 4.5/5

Last edited by avi550m : 12th October 2013 at 17:19.
Old 13th October 2013, 17:38   #5343
Senior - BHPian

White House Down would rate it 3/5. Action movie topped with a White House Sauce
Oblivion - 4/5 - Tom Cruise at his best, Overall good movie
The Worlds End- 4.5/5 Simon Pegg is delight to watch with his real life bud Nick Frost. IMHO Must watch.
Now You See Me 4/5 Cool movie i must say, Loved Woody Harrelson & Jesse Eisenberg.
Pain & Gain 4/5 Hard to believe its based on actual incidents, Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson, Anthony Mackie & Tony Shalhoub put a good show. Crime movie with comic touch to sober down cruelty.
Red Dawn 2/5 If you have nothing to for Hour and half, watch it.

Last edited by agspins : 13th October 2013 at 17:58.
Old 15th October 2013, 11:05   #5344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Saw Gravity (3D)

Gravity stands out for it's breathtaking sights, as you feel like an astronaut suspended in space, overlooking earth. Indeed, the first 10 minutes seems to be dedicated to just soaking in the view. Of course, then an accident happens which leaves you stranded in space. Stranded, in just your spacesuit. Sounds scary, right? It is.

Yes, at just 90 minutes long, you might be wondering, is it worth paying for a premier show ticket for this. Again Yes. There is no excess, no time wasted. The action keeps moving and you feel the tension. The haunting soundtrack adds to the action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
White House Down would rate it 3/5. Action movie topped with a White House Sauce
Oblivion - 4/5 - Tom Cruise at his best, Overall good movie
The Worlds End- 4.5/5 Simon Pegg is delight to watch with his real life bud Nick Frost. IMHO Must watch.
Now You See Me 4/5 Cool movie i must say, Loved Woody Harrelson & Jesse Eisenberg.
Pain & Gain 4/5 Hard to believe its based on actual incidents, Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson, Anthony Mackie & Tony Shalhoub put a good show. Crime movie with comic touch to sober down cruelty.
Red Dawn 2/5 If you have nothing to for Hour and half, watch it.
Gravity is an absolute watch and as mentioned in various sites, on the biggest screen possible and definitely 3D. Sad that Pune does not have an IMAX theater.

I am an avid Sci-Fi buff and I must say, attention to details in space (and absence of gravity) and physics is generally spot on. There are these seemingly trivial things that are thought about and implemented. At times, you would feel that the character is wasting time but just builds up on the hesitation and fear of the unknown.

White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen - Quite identical and predictable. WHD does take jabs on the current US president

Oblivion - Tom Cruise at what he does best, action and stunts. The story line is interesting and comes as a complete twist that what one is led to believe. A must watch again.
Old 15th October 2013, 18:32   #5345
BHPian

Saw Gravity Last Sunday 6th & saw a paid preview show of Captain Phillips on Saturday. Both movies are really great. Gravity has to be seen in IMAX 3D to really enjoy the experience. And i loved Captain Phillips. Directed by Paul Greengrass of Bourne Supremacy & Bourne Ultimatum fame. He's a genius. So is Tom Hanks who plays the titular role.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535109/?ref_=hm_cht_t2

This movie is based on a true story & has many controversies surrounding it. I am posting a link which may/may not contain a spoiler depending on how you want to see it. Please look at it after you see it if you feel you want to go without knowing a bit about it. ( h t t p : / / t . c o / X c r H f I f 4 C o ) Separated it so that you don't accidentally click it. Copy, Paste on url bar & remove spaces in between.

Also saw following movies last week:
The World's End
This is The End
The Heat
Now You See Me

Last edited by anilkalvani : 15th October 2013 at 18:35.
Old 15th October 2013, 22:49   #5346
BHPian

Gravity! Found it just OK. Last 30 mins were way to much and seemed like a wannabe 'Castaway'. Found it too dramatic.

Visuals are a completely new experience. My rating 3/5
Old 15th October 2013, 23:13   #5347
Senior - BHPian

The Internship

Horrible and pathetic. Nothing good about this movie, the story line is predictable and boring. Unnecessary over usage of nudity. Please avoid.

0/5.
Old 17th October 2013, 00:17   #5348
BHPian

Movie: Captain Phillips

Review: Awesome! Amazing! Brilliant! Gripping! I am running out of adjectives. This movie has to be one of the best films I have seen this year. This is a perfect example of how a small and simple story can be made exciting and thrilling. For those wondering what this is about – just view its trailer on YouTube. Paul Greengrass, the director has directed several popular films like Bourne Supremacy, Bourne Ultimatum and Green Zone.

I am a huge fan of Tom Hanks and this movie just reinforces my point. However acting is only one of the reasons what I liked about this movie. The most impressive thing for me was direction! The movie is paced spot on with nice camera work. A movie based on a ship is a very different concept for many people and I think that aspect will impress a lot. This movie is based on a true story however there have been reports of facts not being shown correctly in the movie. Do not pay attention to these things and just go for the movie.
Old 17th October 2013, 07:29   #5349
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I usually sleep on long haul flights and do not bother watching the films on offer. However, this time I was troubled by insomnia and ended up watching a couple of movies back to back, something I have not done since I was much younger and we got our first video recorder!
1. Disney Pixar's Planes- I really love animated and semi animated films and this one is a nice film. Typical underdog who comes out on top etc. Predictable, innocent, clean, fun.

2. Lone Ranger - slightly overdone, but a nice modern ish take on a classic western theme.

Another one i saw recently is 'Gambit'. The Colin Firth, Cameron Diaz starrer which is a remake of the classic Michael Caine 1960's film of the same name.
I have both DVD's and I really liked the stylish modern version better.

The same goes for the Thomas Crown affair, where I ve got both the original Steve McQueen one and the Pierce Brosnan one and vastly prefer the modern Pierce Brosnan version.

Another good film whose DVD I just got, set in 1960's England, The Bank Job, with Jason Statham and the oh, so beautiful and super- elegant, languidly classy looking actress Saffron Burrows. This film is a little packed with bad language and some violent scenes but is a very good film all the same. I mean if one can bear things like Kill Bill, then one can easily bear this!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th October 2013 at 07:35.
Old 17th October 2013, 08:26   #5350

Quite a long weekend for me and ended up watching a bunch of movies. Here's my take on them -

1. Rush : fantastic direction and camera work. Was literally glued to the screen and did not want it end. Both the actors were amazing to the extent I can't decide who was the better performer. A must watch for all.
4.5/5.

2. Elysium : the trailers flatter and the movie deceives. Storyline was too cliched. A lot of unexplained logic gaps and doesn't grip the viewer in any way. Nothing new or interesting on display. Matt Damon under utilised. Not worth a watch.
1/5.

3. Monster's university : I always like animated stuff but this was again routine and failed to impress especially after the potential created by Monster's inc. Same old story of a team coming together to overcome the odds. The lack of humor and lighter situations is glaring in its absence. Can watch on extremely boring afternoons.
1.5/5.

4. The internship : Do Not Watch. Too boring, predictable and a complete waste of time. Total waste of on screen talent considering the heavy weight actors.
0/5.

5. Gravity : was sceptical about a script based solely in space. I mean, how much drama can there be? Was seriously jolted by the visuals, the direction and the acting. Clooney and Bullock fight for the best performance and maybe Sandra just edges it over George. Beautiful portrayal of a very tough script. Must watch.
4/5.

6. The frozen ground : having Nicholas cage and John cusack as the protagonists made me watch this but was really disappointed by the story. Though a true story, the ending is extremely tame and lacks the punch of a good legal logic. Was really looking forward to Cusack playing a great villain and was let down.
1.5/5.

7. White house down : supposed to be a serious movie but had a lot of spoof elements in it. Comedy has been attempted but comes from the wrong character at the wrong timings! Jamie foxx is slightly sub standard. The dialogues are more to be laughed at than tickling you. Nowhere near movies like Air force one. Good to watch for just the entertainment and the action or to kill a couple of hours.
2/5.

8. We are the Millers : boring, run of the mill, unhumourous. Theme says they gel as a family but only Aniston's character had the feel of coming together and keeping everyone together. The strip tease may be worth watching for people who like such stuff.
1/5.

9. Adaptation : Nicholas cage and Meryll streep pull out all stops in executing a tough script brilliantly. Cage especially portrays his characters (twins) brilliantly and the dialogues and messages passed come across with the right impact. It's a great watch for this genre.
4/5.
Old 17th October 2013, 11:59   #5351

Next on my "To be watched" list :
Now you see me
The escape plan
Captain Phillips
The last Vegas.
Thor 2
300 - 2
Planning these for the November 1st weekend :-).
Old 18th October 2013, 12:00   #5352
Senior - BHPian

Captain Philips: Brilliant movie. Very detailed. Pretty much told the story how it happened and got to be shocked with the tactics of the pirates and really feel sad for them. Born in a country where there is a serious lack of opportunity and made use of by folks for personal gains.

My friends dad had a close encounter with pirates in the SE Asia region and i have no pity for them.

4/5
Old 18th October 2013, 12:05   #5353
BHPian

Just for information: Captain Phillips is now on IMAX screens too. IMAX Wadala and PVR IMAX are screening shows of Captain Phillips in Mumbai. Do not think that is is 3D but just on a big screen. Ticket rates are also lower than that for 3D gravity which is logical.
Old 18th October 2013, 13:46   #5354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Just for information: Captain Phillips is now on IMAX screens too. IMAX Wadala and PVR IMAX are screening shows of Captain Phillips in Mumbai. Do not think that is is 3D but just on a big screen. Ticket rates are also lower than that for 3D gravity which is logical.
As far as I know, the PVR IMAX's are not true 70mm IMAX (those which are shown in a proper IMAX theatre, with the dome). They are digital IMAX (see link below)

http://www.slashfilm.com/qa-imax-the...l-imax-liemax/

List of IMAX screens in India

http://www.lfexaminer.com/theaIntl.htm#INDIA

Personally, I would not watch a film like Captain Philips on IMAX. IMAX is to show the visual spectacle in all its glory (Hence watching GRAVITY in IMAX makes sense). For a story / acting driven movie like Captain Philips, a normal threatre would suffice.
Old 18th October 2013, 13:56   #5355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
As far as I know, the PVR IMAX's are not true 70mm IMAX (those which are shown in a proper IMAX theatre, with the dome). They are digital IMAX (see link below)

http://www.slashfilm.com/qa-imax-the...l-imax-liemax/

List of IMAX screens in India

http://www.lfexaminer.com/theaIntl.htm#INDIA

Personally, I would not watch a film like Captain Philips on IMAX. IMAX is to show the visual spectacle in all its glory (Hence watching GRAVITY in IMAX makes sense). For a story / acting driven movie like Captain Philips, a normal threatre would suffice.
Well I am not sure about the technical details of what qualifies an IMAX screen or not. But it will be interesting to see if someone can confirm that.

Agree with you about watching Captain Phillips on big screen. But the thing is if you are already shelling out 350 bucks for watching on a normal screen, how about trying it on 'IMAX' for 400 bucks? Of course if the ticket rates were 600 or something, it would be better to avoid.

Last edited by Saanil : 18th October 2013 at 14:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks