Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2013, 17:40   #5386
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched GRAVITY today,amazing. It keeps you engrossed into it. After a very long time I've come across such a beautiful movie. Pure masterpiece. Superb visual effects, great haunting background score, clinical direction and award winning performance by Sandra Bullock & George Clooney. Good to watch in 3D.

Going for Captain Philip in evening.

Edit- Looks like some people have not liked it. I did like it.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 27th October 2013 at 17:42.
Old 5th November 2013, 23:22   #5387
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Ender's game yesterday. But this is not a review.
Apparently the movie is based on a super awesome book.
So, has anybody read it? And if you have, did the movie make sense? I mean, the effects are awesome, and it's not as if the story is bad. But somehow, the magnitude of the show did not suit the subdued tone of the storyline . So, is there something more to come?

For reviews sake, I'd give it a 5 just for the slickness of the effects.
Old 6th November 2013, 09:19   #5388
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Ender's Game : 4.5/5

A refreshing sci-fi movie, very different in presentation & story flow than what's being shown recently. I loved the way the movie flows explaining each and every part of the story. A definite watch!

^^@mayankk, any discussions on this aspect and we might be giving out spoilers Check out the book reviews of the book-series.
Old 6th November 2013, 10:51   #5389
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Pacific Rim - Godzilla crossbreeds with King Kong to produce 1000s of offspring, who meet their match when men reverse engineer Transformers technology to build and operate super-sized mecha of their own.
And yeah - it is always stormy around 2020, perhaps the effects of global warming?
Mindless fun? hell yeah! Scientific accuracy?
4/5 from my end - depends how you look at the film.
I found Pacific Rim to be boring, and highly predictable. Somehow the whole story and the effects of the machines didnt appeal to me at all.
Old 6th November 2013, 11:08   #5390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I found Pacific Rim to be boring, and highly predictable. Somehow the whole story and the effects of the machines didnt appeal to me at all.
Off course it's predictable - it's men of world coming together to fight against dimension travelling monsters ! what did you expect? men will lose?
Old 6th November 2013, 11:11   #5391
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Off course it's predictable - it's men of world coming together to fight against dimension travelling monsters ! what did you expect? men will lose?
LOL! True that, which is the case with all disaster movies. However, i am unable to pinpoint what exactly i disliked from it. To me, in totality, the movie was not appealing.

Ofcourse, we are entitled to our views.
Old 6th November 2013, 12:48   #5392
Senior - BHPian

Disney's Planes

I usually enjoy animated fare. But Planes was a bit stretched out. If you have seen the original Cars , you have seen this one. The character buildup is also not very well handled, or the storyline catchy. Can safely remove from your "must watch" list if you are an animation fan.

Rating : 2/5 , mostly for the animation quality.
Old 6th November 2013, 13:29   #5393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Ender's Game : 4.5/5

A refreshing sci-fi movie, very different in presentation & story flow than what's being shown recently. I loved the way the movie flows explaining each and every part of the story. A definite watch!
I would respectfully disagree. Personally, I found the whole movie to be lacking an emotional connect. Events just move form one aspect to another and I didn't find myself understanding or supporting any character. Also, the audience seemed to think so, as they were laughing at the terribly bad acting that was present. Harrison Ford and Ben Kingsley seemed to be just going through the motions. Also, the ending was abrupt and I did not feel sympathetic towards the main character. I would give it a 2/5.
Old 6th November 2013, 13:50   #5394
Senior - BHPian

Watched "The Lone Ranger", enjoyed the movie. Although the movie seems tobe a low budget movie, not much jaw-dropping moments, still the story kept me engaged.
Old 6th November 2013, 14:11   #5395
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Watched "The Lone Ranger", enjoyed the movie. Although the movie seems tobe a low budget movie, not much jaw-dropping moments, still the story kept me engaged.
This movie actually went way overbudget and had to be recalculated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lone_Ranger_(2013_film)

Quote:
"When you’re spending other people’s money, you want to give them back a return on their investment. Every time you go out there, you have to swing for the fences."
Jerry Bruckheimer on the subject of the film's budget.
On August 12, 2011, Disney announced that production on The Lone Ranger would be delayed due to budget concerns expressed by CEO Bob Iger and then studio chairman Rich Ross. The studio and production team constrained the film's allocated budget, with Verbinski, Bruckheimer, Depp, and Hammer, equally deferring 20% of their salaries to minimize the overall cost. After addressing the project's production problems in October 2011, Disney confirmed that the film was back on track after the budget was reworked to give the studio a chance to recoup its costs. Initially, filming was reported to begin on February 6, 2012, for a projected release date of May 31, 2013, which subsequently was moved to the Fourth of July weekend of that same year.

This movie also ended up as a flop in terms of earnings.

I saw the movie and found it was just about ok.
Old 6th November 2013, 16:55   #5396
Distinguished - BHPian

^^@sajo,
Agree with you on Planes. The movie clearly has been tried on the same framework like Cars and overall storyline is ok-ok.
2/5 rating from my side too.

Quote:
Personally, I found the whole movie to be lacking an emotional connect. Events just move form one aspect to another and I didn't find myself understanding or supporting any character. Also, the audience seemed to think so, as they were laughing at the terribly bad acting that was present. Harrison Ford and Ben Kingsley seemed to be just going through the motions. Also, the ending was abrupt and I did not feel sympathetic towards the main character. I would give it a 2/5.
Lol the core pain points you mentioned are exactly the opposite for me!

- The crowd out here had a quite a good time.
- And the opinion I am giving is not only mine - the friends I went with had similar opinion.
- The beauty of the movie (IMO) was both Ford & Kingsley were purposely not the main character and the movie played out in the same manner. And neither of the actors ever took hold of the main character which is rare to see.
- The ending is the best part of the movie. I didn't want to touch this part (hence my curt reply to @mayankk earlier). I agree it could have been done a better way, but still I liked it. For the benefit of others, let me cut short my "argument" and . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
I would respectfully disagree.
. . . let's agree to disagree

P.s. Do note critic reviews seem to agree with me, while the box office numbers seem to agree with yours!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 6th November 2013 at 16:57.
Old 7th November 2013, 23:03   #5397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Agree!!

I watched it last week and was wondering what the hype was all about! The graphics were good, but that's about it. The fights were uninspiring and characters failed to evoke any emotions. It reminded me of those t.v video game days.
Old 7th November 2013, 23:21   #5398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Agree!!

I watched it last week and was wondering what the hype was all about! The graphics were good, but that's about it. The fights were uninspiring and characters failed to evoke any emotions. It reminded me of those t.v video game days.
Pacific Rim does invoke mixed reactions, with some loving it and others hating it. I guess it stems from two things:

1. Those of us who grew up around Cartoon Network of the 90s and who love robot anime are absolutely stoked about it, especially since it is our childhood heroes brought to life in a live action format (albeit, as pointed out, with REALLY corny dialogue)

2. Many negative reviews posted recently must be for the DVD version which came out. A lot of the visual spectacle and impact is lost when the movie is seen on a TV instead of the movie theatre. I agree, if seen on DVD, the action sequences do not have the impact and a lot of points are lost there.

Still, I'll stand by my rating of 4.5/5, as it SO reminds me of Voltron, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ninja Robots etc... (ah, nostalgia )
Old 15th November 2013, 19:45   #5399
BHPian

Watched Gravity.

Just mind blowing stuff. God knows how these guys can conjure such mind blowing stuff. Really miffed at having missed a chance to watch it in I-max a few backs back :(

And surprised few people found it slow. Maybe some time spent watching "2001: A space Odyssey" will put things in perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I would like to disagree with both of you on this. While I love my Dabangg and Chennai Express' movies like Ship of Theseus are different and do provoke some thinking. Atleast it did for me. And the story is quite straight forward at that.

Bottomline: Like not all fingers are of the same size, not every movie is aimed at everyone.....
Precisely. And many a times there is an extent to which you can follow the critically acclaimed stuff too. For instance, while I absolutely adore movies of Scorcese, Tarantino, Segio Leone, Brian de Palma to name a few, I just can't understand the hype around Hitchcock and Stanley Kubrick. Haven't found any hitchcock movie that great, and the only Kubrick one I enjoyed was Dr Strangelove. 2001 gave me a major headache, and many consider it the greatest space related movie ever!
Old 15th November 2013, 21:18   #5400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Watched Gravity.
And surprised few people found it slow. Maybe some time spent watching "2001: A space Odyssey" will put things in perspective
Ask them to watch Prisoners. Its 2.5 hrs of painfully slow torture (pun intended). The story is not great and the acting is just about OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
I just can't understand the hype around Hitchcock and Stanley Kubrick. Haven't found any hitchcock movie that great, and the only Kubrick one I enjoyed was Dr Strangelove
+1 that.

Anyone here has a copy of the red cliff duology?http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425637/ I have a copy of it with Hindi voice over and would love to watch the movie in english

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks