Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2014, 20:55   #5476
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Now You See Me (NYSM)

Am I the only one here who thinks NYSM is not a good movie?
You are not alone. I watched it after listening to all the hype, but was disappointed. Maybe some things are intentionally left open for a sequel. But even so, I thought it's just an average movie and not worth the hype.
Old 4th January 2014, 22:12   #5477
BHPian

Drop whatever you are doing, run to your nearest multiplex and watch "The Wolf Of Wall Street"
A Brilliant movie by Martin Scorsese and it is based on a true story of Jordan Belfort who was a stockbroker. If you liked Boardwalk Empire, you will love this movie.
Hope LoeDeCap lands an Oscar for this
Old 4th January 2014, 23:18   #5478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_FWD View Post
true story of Jordan Belfort who was a stockbroker
Boiler room was also based on his story. But yes the Wolf is a different class and LeoDeCap should win the Oscar for this one
Old 5th January 2014, 00:32   #5479
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Watched 'The wolf of Wall Street' today. Quite an entertaining movie overall but it needs to trimmed by 20mins atleast! I think it was already trimmed as a few scenes were cut from what i could make out. Also this is the first time i've seen explicit scenes in a theatre! For those who mind there is a generous usage of cuss words in the movie which i heard is some sort of a record.
Old 5th January 2014, 00:41   #5480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Watched 'The wolf of Wall Street' today. Quite an entertaining movie overall but it needs to trimmed by 20mins atleast! I think it was already trimmed as a few scenes were cut from what i could make out. Also this is the first time i've seen explicit scenes in a theatre! For those who mind there is a generous usage of cuss words in the movie which i heard is some sort of a record.
I also just returned after watching the movie and share same sentiments.

Movie was good.
Should have been bit shorter. Too much they have dragged it.
Usage of words, did not feel much wrong. But, Yeah, they have over used them. Appears like they have taken all the frustration out in this movie.
Couple of scenes where over shown.

Overall: 6.5 / 10

IMDB rating: 8.8
Old 5th January 2014, 04:17   #5481
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Watched 'the secret life of walter mitty'. Very well made movie. I think the character resonates with many.

So happy to find another fan.
I read the original short story by James Thurber around twenty five years and more ago. Identified with the protagonist then and do so even now.

Everyone really is 'two or even three people' - one the 'public persona' , two the 'real inner person' and three, 'what they would like to be' - a sort of outward projection of the 'ideal wish'...I, for one, completely empathise with Walter and by the end of the first scene itself, one is rooting for him to do something out of the ordinary, transcend the mundane and just 'do something' irrespective of the consequences...

Such a lovely adaptation by Ben Stiller. He is a great actor and a great director too, it would appear! Such wonderful scenery, acting, locations, cinematography and development of plot/ character.
I also really liked Sean Penn's portrayal of the 'itinerant adventurer/ functionary'...

We saw only three other people in the Multiplex yesterday in ' Gold' - which shows that this movie will probably be out on its ear in a week because not many will even appreciate it.

An excellent film and well made. If nothing else, being a slightly off beat rather than mainstream film, I would suggest people watch it for the scenery, locations and quality of acting...
Old 5th January 2014, 09:00   #5482
BHPian

Watched The Lone Ranger
They have dragged it way too much, could have easily cut shot the movie by 30min.

It did have some good train sequences, at the same time some outright very amature Rajnikanth type of stunts riding a horse over a train inside a train etc.. You get bored by 35% into the movie and it just keeps dragging. Johnny Depp's role too doesn't have much meat in it.

I would rate it 2/5.
Old 5th January 2014, 10:53   #5483
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched another couple of movies :

1. Prisoners : well made, good story line and the movie holds on to the suspense till then end. I wasn't able to guess till it was revealed. But gets a little draggy at times in the middle.
Rating : 3.5 on 5

2. Arlington road : had high expectations from it but didn't live upto them. The plot was decent but they couldn't exploit it to the full potential. Tim Robbins is literally wasted. You don't feel the characters connected to each other at all. Still can watch it once.

Rating : 2.5 on 5.
Old 5th January 2014, 18:34   #5484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Watched 'the secret life of walter mitty'. Very well made movie. I think the character resonates with many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
So happy to find another fan.
I read the original short story by James Thurber around twenty five years and more ago. Identified with the protagonist then and do so even now.
I saw The Secret Life of Walter Mitty yesterday and was a bit disappointed with the movie. I am not saying anything is wrong with the movie. It is just that I was expecting a bit too much from this movie. I love Ben Stiller and when I saw this trailer, I had made up my mind that I will go for this movie no matter what - I went to the theatre alone and saw the movie.

Greenland/Iceland scenes are wonderful and but I just feel the movie should have shown some more things. I did get a feeling of 'something incomplete' after watching this movie.

Anyways, I would definately recommend this movie.

P.S -Everyone thinks that I am a nut case for going to theatres alone and watching a movie. I do not see what the issue is but everyone is shocked when I tell them I go to theatres alone sometimes.
Old 5th January 2014, 18:38   #5485
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Watched The Lone Ranger
They have dragged it way too much, could have easily cut shot the movie by 30min.

It did have some good train sequences, at the same time some outright very amature Rajnikanth type of stunts riding a horse over a train inside a train etc.. You get bored by 35% into the movie and it just keeps dragging. Johnny Depp's role too doesn't have much meat in it.

I would rate it 2/5.

Agreed. I saw this on a plane some two or three months ago.
I also found it a bit too "masala-fied" in the manner of "BollywollyCobbles".
Old 5th January 2014, 19:30   #5486
Senior - BHPian

Watched Insidious and The conjuring, I was horrified. Very good movies. Any other suggestions for pure horror?
Old 5th January 2014, 20:14   #5487
BANNED

Quote:
I saw The Secret Life of Walter Mitty yesterday and was a bit disappointed with the movie.

The soundtrack is indeed wonderful. Especially the songs 'Lake Michigan' and 'Space Oddity'. Superb. So good in fact that I promptly bought the album off iTunes upon coming back home yesterday after the movie!
Old 5th January 2014, 20:46   #5488
BHPian

Quote:
I saw The Secret Life of Walter Mitty yesterday and was a bit disappointed with the movie.

Anyways, I would definately recommend this movie.

P.S -Everyone thinks that I am a nut case for going to theatres alone and watching a movie. I do not see what the issue is but everyone is shocked when I tell them I go to theatres alone sometimes.
It is kind of rare to see completely single folks in the multiplexes these days (from what I've seen). It's usually family, friends or a date. Maybe that's what shocks them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The soundtrack is indeed wonderful. Especially the songs 'Lake Michigan' and 'Space Oddity'. Superb. So good in fact that I promptly bought the album off iTunes upon coming back home yesterday after the movie!
Oh yes, the soundtrack was quite fitting. I listened to the Arcade Fire album in full after I got back.
Old 5th January 2014, 22:12   #5489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
For those who mind there is a generous usage of cuss words in the movie which i heard is some sort of a record.
I think Goodfellas had that record.
Old 5th January 2014, 23:53   #5490
Senior - BHPian

Watched quite a few movies in last few days

After Earth

If you thought that this movie was a launchpad by Will Smith for his son then you are absolutely right The movie has central chahracters who take up 98% of screen time, out of which most is by Jaden Smith. Not surprisingly the story is by Will Smith but the surprise being that its an M. Night Shyamalan's movie too which I dont think was much publicized.

As for story, nothing much, its based in future where Earth is too polluted to live in & these guys crash on Earth, the problem is they have prisoner creature which is now on loose & the only way to escape is to find a beacon which has falled far. The catch Daddy dearest who is a Hero has broken his leg & son is all alone to do the task & also prove to daddy dearest that he is fitting to be a hero's son. Some nice techno wizardry which some how works perfectly on a crashed aircraft

AVoid if you can.

2.5/5

Elysium

Another movie based in future where the rich stay in elysium in space(it can be seen from Earth though) where no body gets sick. The poor who want to go to elysium are shot down by the wicked Defense Minister. Average story good actors & usual techno wizardry

3/5

The Wolverine

If you area wolverine fan then you must watch it. Just when you know you knew enough about wolverine this movie surprises you with another nice story of wolvorine. Good action & its always a pleasure to watch Huge Jackman essay the role wolverine so brilliantly.

A must watch

4.5/5

Prisoners

The movie is about the how far a father would go to find his missing daughter & how he trusts his gut feeling more than what cops tell him. Its also about a good cop who keeps looking for the girls in face of challenges that he faces.

A little stretched yet worth watching. Huge Jackman in a completely different role.

3.5/5

The Double

A retired cia agent is called back as an WW2 assasin which he had killed was back. He claims thats impossible but agency has a new agent who confirms it based on kill pattern.

Sounds like an interesting plot but overall story is dud & does not make much sense. Interesting in a flashback the actors looks exactly same 30 years ago than they do now. Also the secret is revealed too soon & in a very ungripping way.

Can be missed & watch it only if you are die hard Richard Gere fan.

1.5/5

Carrie (2002)

This is a 2002 movie based on Stephen King's novel about a girl who is constantly teased in school for being different. She creates a havoc later with her supernatural power.

The movie has very poor direction & filmography considering it was 2002. Its more at TV video quality than a full movie. This makes the special effects scenes even worse.

This was the 2nd adaption of the Stephen King Novel with 3rd one releasing last year. This one was disappointing so hoping that 2013 one would be better.

2/5

Olympus has fallen

A movie about how the white house is taken down as hostage along with president & his staff and how an ex-secret service agent beats up the bad guys & rescues everyone single handedly.

this is one of the few movies where I have liked Gerard Butler, overall direction is good but Morgan Freeman is completely wasted. The story leaves more to be desired & has some unanswered questions.

3/5

We Steal Secrets: The Story of WikiLeaks

This is a documentary based on Wikileaks & shows the history of Julian Assange. As i wasn't much aware of his background it was good eye opener to know that this guy was a serious hacker before he came into limelight.

Also throws some light into how he got the leaks & some nice behind the scenes about how the big publishers were left untouched while he was made the only target. Also shows how he betrayed some folks on some journalist ideologies.

Overall a nice watch

3/5

Jobs

I had mixed expectation from this movie, on one hand there are these numerous films that are already done on Steve Jobs & Apple yet nothing which was done in a Hollywood style way. Besides his biography is already out so what could they possibly show that would still be interesting.

Without going into details, the direction was average, most of the well known characters were mimicked than played out (especially John Ivy & to large part Steve Jobs). Ashton Kutcher tries hard. Succeeds in some scenes & fails in other. The good part is that the movie doesnt try to either sugarcoat Jobs or beat him down & manages to offer a balanced view of this Iconic figure. However they do miss to join the dots e.g. the first scene of the movie is never connected back to any other part in movie, which one would expect to.

2.5/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks