Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2014, 10:02   #5566
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Animal films; loved 'Eight Below'. and 'Ratatouille'.
I loved these two.

Quote:
Hachiko is on my to-watch list.
Do watch. It is a good watch. I chanced upon this while channel surfing. But since then I have watched it twice.
Old 22nd March 2014, 10:47   #5567
BHPian

Movie: Need for Speed (3D)

Review: I hate so say this but this movie was severely disappointing. There is absolutely no story in the movie and acting is just below average. I agree there are some good cars in this movie but that alone cannot keep me engrossed in the movie for 142 minutes. I was told that the hero is from the popular TV series Breaking Bad but just seeing from the movie, I think the actor was plain boring. He just did not have any kind of expressions. The other supporting actors were also terrible, in my opinion. Also, I do not understand the need for 3D here. I can hardly remember any good 3D scenes.

Verdict – You can easily avoid this movie. Better to go for other movie options.
Old 22nd March 2014, 23:16   #5568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Movie: Need for Speed (3D)

Review: I hate so say this but this movie was severely disappointing. ....

Verdict – You can easily avoid this movie. Better to go for other movie options.
Same here! This movie is a big letdown. On that I watched it in IMAX

Just the cars and last race sequence appears to have saved the movie to certain extent. Even that was not up to the mark.

Actors: There is no racing attitude in them what-so-ever! Looked like some school kids where trying to imitate Fast & Furious.
Felt the villain (Dominic Cooper) was best among them.

Now need to wait for Fast & Furious 7 to be released.

RIP Paul Walker! No one can replace him!
Old 23rd March 2014, 08:04   #5569
BHPian

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Saw "About time" and "Last Vegas". Both were great. Last Vegas is a must watch!!
Also saw Homefront - Jason Stratham - good but kind of predictable action. Was gripping nonetheless!

Last edited by diyguy : 23rd March 2014 at 08:08.
Old 23rd March 2014, 16:00   #5570
BHPian

Quote:
Animal films; loved 'Eight Below'. But more than that, I fell for 'Two Brothers' (story about tiger brothers) and 'Ratatouille', the latter being an animation film.

Hachiko is on my to-watch list.
Watched Eight Below today, nice and touching one. Thanks for sharing.
Old 23rd March 2014, 17:06   #5571
BANNED

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

I watched Need for speed on Saturday.

Highly disappointing.
They were just trying to imitate tyrese Gibson and the whole FF series.

Part of the reason why it wasn't interesting to me could be the fact that it had a U/A rating, ie.meant for kids.

Fast and the furious has some thing that no one can replace.

THE WOLF OF WALL STREET

A super awesome movie !
I've watched it twice in 24 hours !
A must watch. Martin is truely a genius.

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 23rd March 2014 at 17:07.
Old 25th March 2014, 11:41   #5572
BHPian

I don't get all the hate for Need For Speed. Sure, if you were expecting gravitas, a good story and ace acting, like Rush, you would definitely be dissapointed. By keep in mind guys, this movie is based on a video game, a video game! Did you really think it will be movie of the year or something?

For what it is, NFS works. Why? The Cars. The Cars are the Stars. Sure, the initial bit of old american muscle cars has been done to death in F&F. But then, you get the motherload of cars. 3 Koenigsegg Ageras racing across the freeway? Hell yeah! Car chases with a 900hp mustang across the city. Why not? And the race in the end, with the P1 vs Veyron SS vs Agera R vs Sesto Elemento and two others. All beautifully detailed.
If you noticed, during the racing, the music takes a back seat. It's all about the roar and scream of the engines. The cars are beautifully detailed and shot, and for me, that is worth the torture of having the endure terrible acting and a non-existent plot.

NFS is a guilty pleasure. Go for the cars and the racing sequences, and be prepared to suffer through the acting bits in between. Verdict: 3/5 (for the cars).
Old 25th March 2014, 11:45   #5573
Distinguished - BHPian

Late to the party...watched Gravity last night. Putting it in short, I was disappointed. Had heard a lot about it plus the Oscars too. The story was lame and far from gripping. The only good thing about the movie is the stunning visuals. On that front, the movie scores max, but as a movie, I would give it a max 3/5, that too for the great visuals.
Old 25th March 2014, 11:51   #5574
Senior - BHPian

Finally, I managed to buy the original DVD of RUSH.

What a movie ! This movie is beyond any rating system I feel.

Like everyone has already mentioned, its a brilliantly directed movie and the characters have excellent depths. Kudos to RON HOWARD!! Daniel Bruhl is outstanding as NICKI, so is Chris as JAMES. Amazing camera work. I feel sad that this movie did not get a mention at the Oscars. Probably, the British vs American ego killed the chances. Anyways...

Those of you who have yet not watched this movie, please do. Its worth every effort and penny (Not the one from Big Bang Theory ).
Old 25th March 2014, 13:14   #5575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Late to the party...watched Gravity last night. Putting it in short, I was disappointed. Had heard a lot about it plus the Oscars too. The story was lame and far from gripping. The only good thing about the movie is the stunning visuals. On that front, the movie scores max, but as a movie, I would give it a max 3/5, that too for the great visuals.
And I am guessing you either saw it on a laptop or a TV screen?
Old 25th March 2014, 13:25   #5576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
And I am guessing you either saw it on a laptop or a TV screen?
Why, the story will change on a bigger screen? I already said that the visuals were stunning but criticized the story line.

BTW, saw it on a 120 inch home theater.
Old 25th March 2014, 13:54   #5577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Why, the story will change on a bigger screen? I already said that the visuals were stunning but criticized the story line.

I guess he meant you can't enjoy such movie without a movie hall experience and I second that. Some movies are worth watching only in halls and can never be liked at home no matter how big the screen is.
Old 25th March 2014, 13:57   #5578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Not sure if it will have the same effect watching it on a home theatre when compared to an actual theatre and in 3D. It was seat of the pants all the time, far from lame as you put it. There is only so much you can do with 'close to reality' non fiction movie based in space and gravity to me with its performances and hyper real visuals was as close as it can get to perfection.
Old 25th March 2014, 14:41   #5579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Not sure if it will have the same effect watching it on a home theatre when compared to an actual theatre and in 3D. It was seat of the pants all the time, far from lame as you put it. There is only so much you can do with 'close to reality' non fiction movie based in space and gravity to me with its performances and hyper real visuals was as close as it can get to perfection.
I don't prefer watching in 3D as it gives me a headache. And most of the things you described are related to visuals which I have state twice that they were good. Liking the visuals and liking the movie are two different things, where I did not like the latter. Simple as that. You have your opinion, I have mine. For me, it did not work.
Old 25th March 2014, 15:45   #5580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
I don't get all the hate for Need For Speed. Sure, if you were expecting gravitas, a good story and ace acting, like Rush, you would definitely be dissapointed. By keep in mind guys, this movie is based on a video game, a video game! Did you really think it will be movie of the year or something?
Haha. Well said and of course i agree. It is a movie based on the game. Did the game have a "story"? NO! So, why would one expect the movie to have a story?? Look at other game based movies like Resident Evil, Lara Croft etc. They all serve just one purpose. To bring the game to the bigger screen and make it look even more real. I think NFS did that job as well as any other game based movie.

On another note, also saw Wolf Of Wall Street. Now that's 3 hours of my life i will never get back. A completely over the top movie with nothing much to stand on. Most of the hype was just because it was made by Martin Scorsese and starred Leonardo DiCaprio. No wonder it got a royal snub at the oscars.

Also saw Delivery Man, starring Vince Vaughn. Seems to have been inspired by our very own Vicky Donor (unless there was another foreign language film based on this theme). Vince Vaughn stars as David who unknowingly fathered hundreds of kids when he was donating sperm anonymously. Now the kids have grown up and sued the clinic in order to make the clinic reveal the true identity of the donor. Its a nice humorous movie, something that i somehow didn't expect from a Vince Vaughn film. But he somehow manages to keep it real!
EDIT: Aww dammit. Just read that Delivery Man is a remake of a 2011 French Canadian movie called Starbuck, which is the pseudonym under which David makes the sperm donations. Vicky Donor came out in 2012.

Last edited by amitoj : 25th March 2014 at 15:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks