Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2014, 09:28   #5671
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Any reviews for Oculus (2013) ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
To put in simple words - A good movie but conjuring was better. To get really scared (for that sudden scary scenes and sounds), I would recommend "Haunt" (2013). Nothing great about the story but couple of terrifying scenes and sounds.
'Oculus' is decent; worth a watch- Did not like 'Haunt' and unlike most others, I am still okay with the end it's the stupidity of the movie that killed it.
A couple of scenes but nothing that great.

Conjuring and Insidious are way ahead in this genre. General Note: You will enjoy a horror movie 'always' at night and the home theater should be working full pelt.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 4th August 2014 at 09:30.
Old 4th August 2014, 10:40   #5672
BHPian

LUCY ~ 7/10

Saw this one over the weekend.
I would say, this is one of those movies which has a brilliant concept - but then the rest of the things - direction/acting/screenplay/speed/details have tough time keeping up with the concept!
Scarlett - average acting.
Morgan is good.
Overall, a decent scifi watch, with a solid concept to go with.

Ace.
Old 4th August 2014, 21:59   #5673
Senior - BHPian

Watched few movies, some new & some Old, here it goes

Invictus

Was due watching since, long, nice movie typical Clint Eastwood style direction i.e. clean & precise. What I found lacking was the real reason for team's performance. Also i think this movie missed attention due to its timing. This movie came out along with The Blind Side which is any day a much better movie.

3.5/5

Her

I always pushed away this movie thinking its about something like Siri, which it kind of is but its much better than just that. Great storyline & brilliant performances, even Scarlett Johansson was brilliant as the voice of Samantha. Rooney Mara too looked pretty & nothing like what she did in Girl with Dragon Tattoo. Overall an enjoyable movie however they could have made it a little shorter as some scenes do feel dragging.

3.5/5

Divergent
May be its just me but all these movies Matrix, Hunger Games etc seem to have a common theme where there is just one person who is different than others. Thankfully they still make them interesting so I am not complaining.

The actor lineup is ok nothing great but decent performances by all. Worth watching one time as the naration is grippy.

3/5

Captain America - The Winter Soldier

Typical Marvel franchise with lots of action & some good performances by the regular cast, one thing I am still not sure is about the super capabilities of Captain America, is he invincible or he can not die or he heals faster?? Not sure.

3.5/5

Transformers: Age of Extinction
This series is getting a bit boring now, they seem to be lacking plots. No wonder they had to get a star to sell the movie & that's what works for this movie. This movie is worst than some B grade Bollywood movies when it comes to Logic or logical sequencing of scenes. After watching this movie, all Salman Khan movies will look intellectual

Having said that some scenes do make you jump in your seats & cheer for Prime.

2.5/5

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th August 2014 at 22:00.
Old 4th August 2014, 22:33   #5674
Senior - BHPian

I watched Hercules (2014 film) on Saturday, in 3D. I was expecting that the movie is about the twelve labours. But the story is set after the twelve labours. And I felt that the story is made up and is not from mythology.

Being familiar with Greek and Roman mythologies, I found many inaccuracies. However, I will still rate it 4/5.
Old 5th August 2014, 07:56   #5675
BHPian

Don't miss, "The Bucket List"starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman.Watched it recently.Awesome acting.
The one I liked the most,the classic ,Peyton Place
Old 5th August 2014, 09:32   #5676

NON STOP - 7.1 (IMDB RATING) starring Liam Neeson and directed by Jaume Collet-Serra. I just love Neeson's movie and this one didn't disappoint me either. If you know how his movies usually are, you are simply gonna love this one.
Old 5th August 2014, 11:14   #5677
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I watched Hercules (2014 film) on Saturday, in 3D. I was expecting that the movie is about the twelve labours. But the story is set after the twelve labours. And I felt that the story is made up and is not from mythology.

Being familiar with Greek and Roman mythologies, I found many inaccuracies. However, I will still rate it 4/5.

This is the first movie I have see which has taken a mythological superhero, the closest thing to a real life superhero, and mixed them up to blow the myth to human levels!!
What a strange movie.
Drugs? for God's sake!

No fun, this movie was, in the theatre. For anyone who is planning to watch, plan for the DVD.
Old 5th August 2014, 11:27   #5678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypsoGT View Post
NON STOP - 7.1 (IMDB RATING) starring Liam Neeson and directed by Jaume Collet-Serra. I just love Neeson's movie and this one didn't disappoint me either. If you know how his movies usually are, you are simply gonna love this one.
You can pretty much watch any Liam Neeson movie. In the words of us Indians, "He is just too good".

A couple of his less watched but really good movies are 'After Life' & 'Unknown'.
Old 5th August 2014, 23:13   #5679
BHPian

Movie: Lucy

Review: A movie with a very intelligent plot can be dangerous! This is a movie of 2 halves – first half sets up the premise nicely and is fast paced while the second half fails to live up to the expectations. Scarlett Johansson is beautiful as always – some people might not prefer this look of hers but I liked it. Morgan Freeman was his usual – classy and flawless. Someone told me that this movie has the same story as the movie “Limitless” – I have not seen that so cannot comment but from the title, I can say it is possible that both the movies might have similar plots.

When you make a movie with a very deep story or a meaning (like Nolan’s Inception) it is important to finish the movie well – this is where Lucy failed me. I thought the ending was pretty weird and believe they should have showed some extra detail in the ending. There were some beautiful scenes/locations in the movie and I liked the direction in this one.

This is strictly a onetime watch movie hence keep your expectations low. Given that there were no Hindi releases last weekend, the other choice was Hercules which I had heard is also very average – see it and forget it. Unfortunately Lucy also falls in the same category but I found the story to be very stimulating and thought provoking (watch the trailer once!).

Last edited by Saanil : 5th August 2014 at 23:15.
Old 6th August 2014, 01:21   #5680
Senior - BHPian

I am a horror movie fan. Somehow I manage to watch movies at night, alone when the entire family is sleeping. And then freak out after it is over - Close doors, windows, cover the blanket to the head, etc.

So, I watched Oculus tonight. Nothing scary I would say.
The past - present; real - unreal confusion, wasted the movie.
The attempt to co-relate facts was good, but I lost track of what is happenning and why is it happenning. Some ghostly faces appeared, which were okay.
Some gory scenes, like ripping off of fingernails were good, but not that gory.

Overall, a one-time watch, may be with popcorn and coke to keep you interested.

By the way, Conjuring and Insidious were okayish too.

I loved "Mama". The movie had a good storyline to support the scary scenes. The ending was good too.
Old 6th August 2014, 10:21   #5681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
So, I watched Oculus tonight. Nothing scary I would say.
The past - present; real - unreal confusion, wasted the movie.
I think that was the key of the movie. Can't give spoilers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
By the way, Conjuring and Insidious were okayish too.

I loved "Mama". The movie had a good storyline to support the scary scenes. The ending was good too.
"Mama" is good, but you can hardly call it a horror movie.

Insidious and Conjuring are No 1 & 2 for me. Brilliant story lines, great background score and hardly any gory scenes.

Any more suggestions?
Old 6th August 2014, 11:07   #5682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Insidious and Conjuring are No 1 & 2 for me. Brilliant story lines, great background score and hardly any gory scenes.

Any more suggestions?
Add Woman in Black, haunt to the list. Waiting for the Conjuring spin off which should release in couple of months and the next part in 2015.
Old 6th August 2014, 11:28   #5683
Senior - BHPian

I absolutely loved Insidious 1 & 2. No gore scenes, but terrific build up and confrontation. The story too seems very similar to Indian 'astral travel' concept. Highly recommended to even non-fans of horror (I am not a fan of horror movies TBH).

Conjuring too seems as good as this, so hope to catch it soon.
Old 8th August 2014, 04:23   #5684
Senior - BHPian

Death Sentence - 3/5 - One Time Watch

A good movie involving family and emotion to begin with. Later it becomes a kill bill game. The first 1 hour was gripping with the turn of events pointing to natural instincts of a human being (a parent). Then it goes haywire will just kill everyone. Last 30 mins was dark and boring, with not a clear ending (which should have been).
A one time watch.
Old 9th August 2014, 04:41   #5685
Senior - BHPian

Seeking Justice - 3/5 - One time watch

Another movie that starts off with showing of human emotions and wrong decisions taken. A good movie with good suspense of what is the motive of the antagonist. One time watch.

EDIT: PS: Just started watching The Interpretor. Its gripping. And Nicole Kidman is looking just wow !!!

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 9th August 2014 at 05:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks