Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2014, 13:38   #5701
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

I was checking back in the thread ... and it appears no one has mentioned about this sweet (& sad) movie - The Fault in Our Stars.

Well .. it has a very charming love story and the chemistry between the lead pair is amazing!!
However being a tale about "the fault", there are sad parts in the story, esp. in the second half.
I liked it as a whole, I am sure most people would surely love the first half.

For me, its a 4 of 5.
Have a peek at .
Old 23rd August 2014, 13:42   #5702
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Nebraska last night. Beautiful real life portrayal of father-son relationship. 4/5.
Old 23rd August 2014, 14:57   #5703
BHPian

Watched two movies, Enemy starring Jake Gyllenhaal and The Double starring Jesse Eisenberg, with the same theme, back to back. I liked Enemy more in spite of the fact that I could not fully understand the allegory of giant spiders in the movie. I could figure out the The Double, based on a story by Dostoevsky, without much confusion but the movie was not easy viewing due to the essentially depressing atmosphere.

See this link for a comparative review of the two movies:

http://dbmoviesblog.wordpress.com/20...uble-vs-enemy/
Old 24th August 2014, 13:34   #5704
Senior - BHPian

Watched Blended. Nice romantic and family oriented and funny movie. Teach you a thing or two about family bonding. If you're watching with your young ones, just a caution that there are couple of awkward moments, but short ones.

Overall, I would rate this 4/5
Old 24th August 2014, 14:43   #5705
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
I was checking back in the thread ... and it appears no one has mentioned about this sweet (& sad) movie - The Fault in Our Stars.

Well .. it has a very charming love story and the chemistry between the lead pair is amazing!!
However being a tale about "the fault", there are sad parts in the story, esp. in the second half.
I liked it as a whole, I am sure most people would surely love the first half.

For me, its a 4 of 5.
Thanks for that! Beautiful trailer, too sad that its not in theatres anymore. Think I'll order the book on flipkart!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th August 2014 at 14:50.
Old 24th August 2014, 14:59   #5706
BHPian

Four Lions (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1341167/)

Don't know how I missed this, but one of the most hilarous comedies I've ever watched. It's a satire based on jihadis, and trust me, you'll laugh your guts out (especially if you understand the hindi/urdu dialogues *contains explicit language*). If you enjoy dark comedies, this film is a must watch.

I'd rate it 10/10 for sure.
Old 24th August 2014, 15:17   #5707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Four Lions (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1341167/)

Don't know how I missed this, but one of the most hilarous comedies I've ever watched. It's a satire based on jihadis, and trust me, you'll laugh your guts out (especially if you understand the hindi/urdu dialogues *contains explicit language*). If you enjoy dark comedies, this film is a must watch.

I'd rate it 10/10 for sure.
This is one of my favorite dark comedies of all time! So funny, yet true all at the same time. Unfortunate that not many have heard of this gem of a movie.
Old 24th August 2014, 15:36   #5708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post

This is one of my favorite dark comedies of all time! So funny, yet true all at the same time. Unfortunate that not many have heard of this gem of a movie.
True. Never heard about it. But as a dark comedy fan I am definitely going to see it now.
Old 24th August 2014, 16:30   #5709
Senior - BHPian

Watched Expendables 3 in the week. Rating depends on what you consider as a good movie.
If you expect a story, consider it a 0/10 and click the X button now.
If you want plain brainless action scene after action scene - its full on paisa vasool (with a few hundred body count), though stallone can't act to save his life. mel gibson makes Every scene come alive, though in other scenes you have enough action to keep you busy.

I'd give it a 8/10 esp if you are in chennai where you can see movies in Rs 120. Rs 400 etc as you get in mumbai is definitely not worth it.
Old 27th August 2014, 18:09   #5710
BHPian

Transcendence (Johny Depp, Rebecca Hall, Paul Bettany, Morgan Freeman)

This sci-fi thriller has the following premise:
Scientists have not succeeded in creating the perfect artificial intelligence machine but success has been achieved in digitizing human brain and uploading to a machine empowering it with human like intelligence and more!

Rotten Tomatoes have trashed the movie giving a rotten score 19%. But I ended up liking the movie. Johny Depp is excellent as always and though the plot goes haywire in the second half of the movie the thriller like treatment keeps the excitement intact. My rating: 3/5.
Old 10th September 2014, 23:38   #5711
BHPian

Blended a Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore
Awesome comedy and family movie. Some of the content may be a bit lewd but still feel it's a family watch.
The sights and locations are great too
Old 11th September 2014, 00:59   #5712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Four Lions
Thanks for the recommendation, absolutely loved this movie. Was one of the well made comedy movies I've seen in recent times. The movie is filled with so many funny quotations, was just repeating few scenes for the next 1-2 days

Do you know of any similar movies?
---
Incendies (2010) - Quite an offbeat movie! Unusual story with a twisted ending. I loved it and will give 10/10 but might not be of everybody's tastes.
Old 11th September 2014, 01:07   #5713
BHPian

The Expendables 3 :

Rating 1/5
No story, too many characters and not much else.

Her:
Rating : 4/5
A different take on artificial intelligence, this is a movie I was looking forward to and was not disappointed, per se, but I did expect more. Loved how it depicts that a human can grow warm to a machine intelligence, but in the end it's nothing more than a mass produced , product , for lack of better word, designed to please via flattery and playing hot/cold , hard to get kind of behavior to mimic humans.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty :
Rating 4/5

A very different concept, a 9-5 job man takes a trip that takes unexpected turns, taking him on a wild adventure. It's a bit slow to start but keep watching and it will reward you.

The Grand Budapest Hotel :
Rating 3.5/5 :

Another roller-coaster ride kind of movie, like Walter Mitty - but with a very different storyline, about a hotel owner who tells his story to a journalist, on how he became the owner of the hotel. Enjoyable but you need a bit of patience.

The Guardians Of The Galaxy:
Rating : 2.5/5

I went to see this with high expectations, and was disappointed. There is plenty of action, but it's not something we haven't seen before. The characters are unusual, a fox , a walking man-tree , reasonably entertaining but it was the humour that makes it a bit more enjoyable.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :
Rating : 3/5

This is a fast paced action thriller, Megan Fox looks good but somewhat dull in her acting, the turtles look bloated and oversized while Master Splinter looks much less like a rat that the cartoon series had. The villain, Shredder looks menacing and should have got more screen time. They also didn't delve much in detail about how the mutation occurred, no mention of how the human DNA got mixed , as per my memory.

Last edited by Ricci : 11th September 2014 at 01:12.
Old 11th September 2014, 05:11   #5714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

For me, its a 4 of 5.
Thank you!!! I was planning on putting up a post on the same, but missed doing it.

This is a highly highly under-rated movie. I consider it possibly the best movie for this year; amazing story, lovely chemistry between the lead pair; and a sad but still beautiful ending.

For me it was a 5/5!

Others please do have a peek at .
Old 11th September 2014, 09:09   #5715
BHPian

Quote:

For me, its a 4 of 5.
Have a peek at
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Thank you!!! I was planning on putting up a post on the same, but missed doing it.

Others please do have a peek at
Had a pleasure to watch this movie. Very good acting by the lead pair.
Should warn that this is a very emotional movie. My wife's eyes were moist for most of the time watching this movie.

Excellent movie
Rating 5/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks