Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2015, 16:18   #5986
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Taken 3 (2014)

Rating: 0.0/5

Review: I dont know who planned this movie or where he/she is but I will find out and demand compensation for terrible waste of 2 hours of my time!

As a fan of this series (liked the previous 2, both for pace and action, not to mention locations as well) this one is a major dud. No pace, no story, terrible villain, even Liam Neeson is totally wasted. Absolute waste of time it is.
Old 28th January 2015, 16:28   #5987
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Taken 3 (2014)

Rating: 0.0/5
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-rtztzil.jpg

Not sure if this is true though.
Old 29th January 2015, 23:03   #5988
BHPian

American Sniper - It's been a very controversial movie . But it's a huge box office success in the US. Too many people say it glorifies violence and killing. All opinions aside though - the movie has made loads of money and is re-igniting the discussion on the war. Come election year - you ca bet some politicians will use Clint Eastwood at some time in their campaign !!
Old 2nd February 2015, 10:38   #5989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I feel that Nicolas Cage is to Hollywood what Mithun Chakraborty was to Bollywood in the '90s
And I watched 'Stolen' on Sony Pix yesterday.
It only reasserts your statement.

I rate it 1 out of 5.
Old 2nd February 2015, 10:56   #5990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I feel that Nicolas Cage is to Hollywood what Mithun Chakraborty was to Bollywood in the '90s
True. Years back, I had the misfortune of being pulled into watching his Drive Angry. Became wise after that. Cage seem to the goto actor if somebody is making an Exploitation film.
Old 2nd February 2015, 11:15   #5991
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a lazy Sunday at home babysitting so decided to catch up on some movie-watching when the kids were asleep/at play.

Nebraska (2013)- This was a slow sumptuous watch. Perfect viewing for a lazy day. Really loved the ending. 7/10

Stander- Someone copied this movie to my disk and I had no idea what to expect but turned out to be one entertaining romp. A crime thriller based on the real life story of South African cop-turned-bank robber Andre Stander. Set in Johannesburg in the mid-80s, the atmosphere is tremendously authentic. Absorbing storyline and impressive performances as well. 8/10

Finding Nemo- One of my all-time favourites, animation or not. Watched with little one and she seemed to enjoy her first watch but got bored after about 30 minutes 9/10

Changeling- Wrapped up the day with another old favourite that I hadn't seen in a while. Angelina Jolie stars as a woman who's kidnapped child is "returned" by the corrupt and incompetent LAPD of the late 1920s and the drama that follows. Could have easily chopped off the last 30 minutes. Great period feel and excellent performances though the pace could have been a tad quicker. 7/10
Old 2nd February 2015, 12:50   #5992
BHPian

Since we seem to be down nostalgia lane considering the past few posts on this thread, I thought I should bring up "Gandhi" by Richard Attenborough which I last watched when it was released and which I didn't think much of back then as I was young.

My son was studying about the freedom struggle a few days back and I played him the movie to get a sense of what it was like back then . Some 5 minutes into watching, I unknowingly got sucked into it and ended up watching the entire movie. As a bonus, my son can now rattle off the names of those involved in the freedom struggle and can also remember things like Civil Disobedience.
Old 2nd February 2015, 13:01   #5993
BHPian

Saw Birdman - Excellent cinematography and script. Although you will need to have a lot of patience to painfully go through the slow script. Brilliantly woven together with excellent acting by the whole cast. Not to be confused with super hero kind of movies, but there is a bit of hint there

On a serious note, if you are looking for action and superpower kind of a plot, give it a skip easily. This one belongs to serious cinema genre

At the cost of being repetitive, a big for the Cinematography

Overall 4 out of 5
Cheers!
Old 2nd February 2015, 13:31   #5994
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched 'The Terminal' on the weekend. Excellent stuff and Tom Hanks comes up with a tremendous performance. Catherine Zeta Jones looks pretty in her small but significant role. I knew the plot before watching the movie but was in for a shock when came to know that it is based on a real story! Without giving away the plot, I would just like to assert that the original character (whom Tom Hanks portrayed) was in the same situation for about 18 years!

Rating 4.5/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Nebraska (2013)- This was a slow sumptuous watch. Perfect viewing for a lazy day. Really loved the ending. 7/10
Great movie. My wife is not much into English movies but she liked Nebraska so much that she recommended this to her parents too. Some of the rare breed of movies which puts you in a situation where you can have a smile on your face but a tear in your eye!
4.5/5
Old 2nd February 2015, 19:38   #5995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I remember watching this during some flight. Most other passengers were bored of the movie but I watched it completely - and loved it. Slow, but I love slow movies. Good watch.

Nightcrawler - 6/10

Kinda disturbing movie. Even if you know how news channels work in the US. And paparazzi. Loved the connections with corporate culture!

Locke - 8/10

Damn, another slow movie. And I liked it very much. About a guy who goes on a long drive to be by the side of a woman who he had a one-night stand with. The rest of the characters are all voices - calls he makes on the phone. Good acting by Tom Hardy.
Old 4th February 2015, 12:07   #5996

Alexander and the Horrible, Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Day - 3.5/5

A very nice movie. Expected more comedy but what is delivered is done well. Felt it was too short and had the potential for a lot of rip roaring stuff. Enjoyable watch.
Old 5th February 2015, 01:34   #5997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Watched 'The Terminal' on the weekend. ...
Rating 4.5/5...
One of the few movies which I can watch "n" number of times. Some to the same tune are "Munich", "Million Dollar Baby" etc.
Old 5th February 2015, 11:49   #5998
BHPian

Some movies which have stayed on my laptop after so many years. I shall list them based on Genre:

1. Horror: Jeepers creepers 1 & 2.
2. Comedy: Hot shots (Charlie sheen at his best ), The naked gun, Dumb & Dumber.
3. Drama: The reader. Reservoir dogs, The godfather trilogy.
4. Action: Ong bak, Broken arrow, Face-off.
5. Romantic comedy: Leap year.
6. War: Black hawk down, Saving private ryan.
7. Animation: Up, How to train your dragon.
Old 6th February 2015, 13:04   #5999
Distinguished - BHPian

John wick

Keanu Reeves portrays exactly the kind of character people love-an ex hitman sorts,who's retired after being the goto guy for the worst problems, and getting dragged into the game after ignorant goons kill off his dog and his car!!!
Meld of neo and an excellent player in an fps, the action is absolutely fantastic, and the requirement of acting is right there with what he can deliver.
Lovely flick. Munchies and drinks will be polished off en masse!

5/5
Old 8th February 2015, 12:35   #6000
BHPian

Birdman - 8/10

An ageing small time actor struggles to redeem himself in a Broadway theater play. All the while battling internal and external forces which look destined to pull him down.

Don't go by the movie name. If you are expecting standard superhero fare, you will be disappointed. It's a slow drama, but I was riveted by the excellent acting and human emotions at play.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks