Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2015, 03:23   #6271
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Actually lot of people suggest skipping the Episode I though I wouldn't .

How would I miss Liam Neeson's presence ? [ okay, accepted that his character doesn't appeal as much as the man himself ]

And also the Little Anakin seems cute !
Phantom Menace doesn't hold any surprises actually. So even if skipped, don't lose too much. Though on the 1st viewing, I wouldn't suggest skipping. It was Liam Neeson's uncharacteristic role, gotten too used to see him the 'man on the run' in action movies I like Natalie Portman as well in Phantom Menace.

Talking about Phantom Menace, check this Star Wars talk in Big Bang Theory

Old 1st December 2015, 20:26   #6272
Senior - BHPian

The 33: Based on a true story about 33 miners that were trapped in a gold mine in Chile for 69 days in a not too distant past. A very well directed and edited movie that keeps you glued to your seat as you are taken through a roller coaster of emotional ups and downs that the miners and their relatives and friends experience.
Definitely a must watch!

Creed: Recently watched the much awaited offshoot of the iconic Rocky series (yeah I am a fan of them ) I went into the theater not knowing what to expect. In the end I was not disappointed. There are many times in the movie that remind you of the very first Rocky movie. The actor director duo of Michael B Jordan and Ryan Coogler come together again after the critically acclaimed Fruitvale Station to deliver yet another powerful movie.
Old 1st December 2015, 21:46   #6273
Senior - BHPian

Oh, went for Spectre. I read the lackluster reviews and was expecting hell. This very low expectation helped me. The car chase scenes were stupid and the background music was in a different universe when compared to the actual chase. A lot of things was given to chance finding, like the scene at hotel L'americana , which could have used fancy james bond gadgets.

I seriously dont remember what happened in the end, all I can recollect is there was a crash and road had a huge mark on it due to the crash. Don't remember how the entire thing happened. (seriously no james bond fancy gadgets again)

The entire final climax and the sequence are better in average hollywood movies when compared to this one.

I would rather prefer Sean connery or Pierce Brosnan for bond. Time for Daniel Craig to retire from bond movies. Let new blood come in.
Old 1st December 2015, 22:29   #6274
BHPian

Creed was fantastic. Was glued in the fight scenes. Gave me the chills.
Old 2nd December 2015, 13:27   #6275
BHPian

Completed Tremors series (1,2,3) and liked the first and third parts.

Also watched Duel. I just love how a Peterbilt truck is turned into something as menacing as the Jaws shark by Steven Spielberg.
Old 2nd December 2015, 13:55   #6276
BHPian

The Martian awesome movie 8/10. Loved it so much that bought the book and read it too.
Old 2nd December 2015, 14:27   #6277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
The Martian awesome movie 8/10. Loved it so much that bought the book and read it too.
. I have not seen the movie or read the book. But my friend who has done both told me the book is far more engaging than the movie. He felt, in the movie the main character was shown trying to kill time by watching sunset et al. But in the book he is busy every second, fighting to stay alive.
Old 2nd December 2015, 14:35   #6278
BHPian

The worst Daniel Craig movie till date. I expected Spectre to be atleast as good as Skyfall, but boy was I wrong! His acting was okay but the plot was boring if I may. The movie kept dragging. It was like the director wanted the movie to be bad.

5/10 just for Daniel Craig's acting
Old 2nd December 2015, 15:07   #6279
Senior - BHPian

Creed is next on the list. Going by the reviews online and here, it must be good. I won't be able to make it to a movie until Dec 12th. Hope it will stay in theatre for that long.
Old 3rd December 2015, 00:29   #6280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
. I have not seen the movie or read the book. But my friend who has done both told me the book is far more engaging than the movie. He felt, in the movie the main character was shown trying to kill time by watching sunset et al. But in the book he is busy every second, fighting to stay alive.
Oh yes. The book is far more interesting than the movie. I would suggest to read the book first (it's very captivating) if possible. It shows why his existence was a struggle on Mars, and not just watching sunsets and arriving safely at the final destination driving on a highway! Mars appears amazing in 3d, I must say.
Old 4th December 2015, 17:49   #6281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post

I guess the 4-5-1-2-3-6 order stands up to our expectations while saving the possible plot twists in the oncoming series .
this got me intrigued. i always thought that the order to watch was 1>2>3>4>5>6.

after your post did some search and a prominent view is to use the "machete order" 4>5>2>3>6, skipping episode 1 altogether. i didnt know watching the star wars movies was this complex
Old 4th December 2015, 18:18   #6282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
this got me intrigued. i always thought that the order to watch was 1>2>3>4>5>6.
I assume you have seen, there's a big suspenses that are revealed in end of Part 3 (Revenge of the Sith). If you knew it and saw 4-5-6, it is purely academic and you are just waiting for it to happen. If you saw 4-5-1-2-3-6, then it comes as a totally unexpected surprise.

Ideally 4-5-6 stands as a trilogy in itself (as it was made in 1977, 1980 and 1983 respectively), 1-2-3 (released in 1999, 2002 and 2005) was just made as a backstory. The prequel trilogy has nothing much to stand on its own separated from the 4-5-6 trilogy.
Old 7th December 2015, 08:51   #6283
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Watched two brilliant movies last week! Both are easily 5/5 flicks and are based on real-life events. Highly recommended.

Munich

The Insider (Al Pacino & Russell Crowe)
Old 7th December 2015, 09:10   #6284
BHPian

Watched "In the heart of the sea". Well made movie and some stunning visuals. However, the movie got slower in the second half, but Moby Dick fans should like the movie.
Old 9th December 2015, 15:37   #6285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Watched two brilliant movies last week! Both are easily 5/5 flicks and are based on real-life events. Highly recommended.

Munich

The Insider (Al Pacino & Russell Crowe)
you can also check out Syriana, if you havent seen it already. Like Munich, it is also an intense movie .

Last edited by maven : 9th December 2015 at 15:37. Reason: removed weblinks

Most Viewed