Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2016, 14:44   #6511
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Better late than never.

*** THE BIG SHORT *** Rating: 4.5/5

Amazing movie based on a true story of 2008 US meltdown. I know its an old movie, but it is worth nevertheless. Superb narration, superb screenplay and great acting by all. Steve Carelll stands out especially, considering his history as a comedian. What a performance by him! Christian Bale is outstanding as the crazy intelligent 'Michael Burry'. The movie has also tried (succeeded) to explain all the related concepts with excellent and simple examples from real life.
Overall, it is a MUST watch for all, those who have not yet seen it.

Half point lost for some editing errors.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-thebigshortcsheader.jpg
Old 6th September 2016, 15:06   #6512
Senior - BHPian

Saw THE INTERN, few days back on TV & realized that Anne Hathway has come full circle from "The devil wears Prada" to this movie.
Simple straight movie with some facts that really don't fall into place.
Robert Di Niro flaunts his suits in today's casual wear office atmosphere
Rene Russo is a waste - seems she did it either for love of RDN or for extra pocket money.
Guy playing Anne's hubby is a washout and so are some other supporting characters.

Regards-Sonu
Old 6th September 2016, 15:22   #6513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Saw THE INTERN,
That's pretty much important to the essence of the movie, portraying a 60+ retired professional (VP level) playing an intern. It tries to show the two worlds co-existing - old school office goers & the new gen.
Old 11th September 2016, 23:46   #6514
Distinguished - BHPian

A new Chris Nolan movie is about to be released.. I being someone who instantly elevated Nolan to levels way above Spielberg, George Lucas and James Cameron and just a level below Stanley Kubrick, even with his handful of movies, was utterly disappointed with Interstellar and Inception.. both very boring, non mind-blowing, with a long drawn out meaningless ending, although both those movies had terrible lead actors (yes I mean it).

Just because of The Prestige, the Batman Trilogy and Insomnia, where his ability to gauge scenes, give them depth and add meaning to those layers upon layers of puzzles was obvious in every scene, I shall give this movie too a chance to come out and hopefully make it to the IMDB top 5, in Nolan we trust.

Last edited by dark.knight : 11th September 2016 at 23:56.
Old 12th September 2016, 03:18   #6515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Saw THE INTERN, few days back on TV & realized that Anne Hathway has come full circle from "The devil wears Prada" to this movie.
Rene Russo is a waste - seems she did it either for love of RDN or for extra pocket money.
Guy playing Anne's hubby is a washout and so are some other supporting characters.

Regards-Sonu
Then you didn't get the key concept of the movie. The movie is just to show the (director's) perspective of the generation X (or early Ys) vs the current youth. Of class, and simple habits and small factors that maketh a man.

In the end it's just a movie, so the idea is to enjoy what the director is showcasing using good actors who play their part to perfection. Although except Robert Di Niro, the support cast, inclusive of Anne Hathway don't really shine out. And you are correct - some of the cast don't really have a meaty role.

The movie kinda peters out in the second half, but I loved it just for Niro's charismatic acting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
That's pretty much important to the essence of the movie, portraying a 60+ retired professional (VP level) playing an intern. It tries to show the two worlds co-existing - old school office goers & the new gen.
+1
Old 13th September 2016, 16:49   #6516
Senior - BHPian

Just Watched "The Raid: Redemption" last night and it was a pretty cool movie. For some reason my TV refused to load the subs so had to suffer the dubbed track.

Some scenes were pretty awesome and one which had a mortal kombat finish him written all over it.

No storyline to speak of. Just good ol fashioned straight up action.

Part 2 is for tonight
Old 13th September 2016, 19:30   #6517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Part 2 is for tonight
Part 1 is really good as there is no premise and as you mentioned it is straight up good ol' action sequences. Part 2, i actually gave up watching after the first 20 minutes as it is painfully slow and having to sit thru the dubbed version is painful already and added to that is the slow moving character building or plot building that they have tried. Good luck with Part 2 and do post how you found it. Will give it another try pretty shortly.

On another note, caught up with some movies over the past few days:

Solace: 5/5 - Superb story and acting by the lead cast.
Captain America-The Winter Soldier: 4/5 - My first Captain America movie and was wowed by it. Superbly choreographed action sequences that are a treat to watch. Story is also good going by super hero movie standards.
Avenged: 4.5/5 - Oh boy! What an under rated movie this is. Not at all my genre as i stay away from outright horror movies but this one is not outright horror but has its moments. It is more of Indie style horror/thriller. Superb acting by the leading lady and wonderful cinematography.
The next 3 days: 4/5 - Classic Russell Crowe movie where he breaks his wife out of prison for a crime she is wrongfully convicted for. Man, the guy can really emote. Watching him in a few scenes in this movie shows the reason why he is highly rated as an actor.

Also caught up with a couple of original Hollywood movies that have been copied by Bollywood:

Leon, the Professional: 4/5 - Superb acting by Jean Reno and Natalie Portman. Pretty straight forward story line with some superb directorial cuts while filming certain scenes. I think Bollywood made "Bichoo" out of it with Bobby Deol and Rani Mukherjee who are both a misfit when you see the original. Dont think Bichoo can match up to the original at all.

Man on Fire: 5/5 - Denzel Washington at his understated best! Wonderful scenes from Mexico city and top notch acting overall by most. Mickey Rourke was wasted in a blink and you will miss role which could have been done by any supporting actor from Hollywood. Bollywood copied it with Amitabh and Arjun Rampal starrer "Ek Ajnabee". I have seen this too and felt that they have actually managed a pretty good copy of the movie with more style quotient added by Amitabh and his flashy suits as compared to Denzel in his subdued and ordinary looking costumes. Also the Hindi version had a twist in the end which is not there in the original. A decent watch in Hindi too and for me it was an equal match to the original with modifications to the story to live up to desi tastes.
Old 13th September 2016, 19:40   #6518
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the warning Shall lower my expectations.
Old 13th September 2016, 21:48   #6519
BHPian

Where To Invade Next:

A brilliant documentary by Michael Moore on the current 'American' way of life. Unlike the earlier US invasions for oil or other stuff, Michael's invasion follow a different calling.

More details here:
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt4897822/

It's a superb watch and a funny one at that.

Rating - 5/5
Old 13th September 2016, 22:48   #6520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Part 1 is really good as there is no premise and as you mentioned it is straight up good ol' action sequences. Part 2, i actually gave up watching after the first 20 minutes as it is painfully slow and having to sit thru the dubbed version is painful already and added to that is the slow moving character building or plot building that they have tried. Good luck with Part 2 and do post how you found it. Will give it another try pretty shortly.
Sigh, you were right not to have watched the full movie. They forgot what made the first one click. Simplicity.

The sequel was a mess and i cannot fathom as to how it has a higher imdb rating. Only the last 30mins out of the 2Hr30Min movie had some good fighting.
Old 13th September 2016, 22:58   #6521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Sigh, you were right not to have watched the full movie. They forgot what made the first one click. Simplicity.

The sequel was a mess and i cannot fathom as to how it has a higher imdb rating. Only the last 30mins out of the 2Hr30Min movie had some good fighting.
Thanks for the review! Gonna delete the movie off the HDD
Old 15th September 2016, 10:37   #6522
Senior - BHPian

13 Assassins:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1436045/

This movie has been lying idle right at the top of my movie collection and never really got around to watching it.

Yesterday being a holiday and home alone, decided to give it a go. And what a go it was

Amazing movie.
Old 15th September 2016, 10:41   #6523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Better late than never.

*** THE BIG SHORT *** Rating: 4.5/5

Amazing movie based on a true story of 2008 US meltdown. I know its an old movie, but it is worth nevertheless. Superb narration, superb screenplay and great acting by all.
Steve was brilliant, so was Christian Bale.

It is simply among the best movies made on the Credit Crisis. Also watch - Too Big to Fail, Inside Job and Company Men. This however takes the top spot IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
A new Chris Nolan movie is about to be released.. I being someone who instantly elevated Nolan to levels way above Spielberg, George Lucas and James Cameron and just a level below Stanley Kubrick, even with his handful of movies, was utterly disappointed with Interstellar and Inception.. both very boring, non mind-blowing, with a long drawn out meaningless ending, although both those movies had terrible lead actors (yes I mean it).

Just because of The Prestige, the Batman Trilogy and Insomnia, where his ability to gauge scenes, give them depth and add meaning to those layers upon layers of puzzles was obvious in every scene, I shall give this movie too a chance to come out and hopefully make it to the IMDB top 5, in Nolan we trust.
Everyone has a right to their opinion but IMHO, I think Interstellar and Inception were his two best movies made along with TDK. I always count my first reaction to a movie and then my subsequent viewings. I remember being blown away by The Dark Knight and then Inception. I would say, Interstellar could not sustain his aura, simply implying people just expect awesomeness from his every movie. But as a standalone movie, it was brilliant. The concept and execution of both the movies were just exceptional. People love to hate Nolan - but imagine the kind of pressure it puts on him to deliver.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 15th September 2016 at 10:53.
Old 15th September 2016, 16:54   #6524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I think Interstellar and Inception were his two best movies
+1 . I would add Memento to that list as well. Always felt he was a brilliant story teller and it gets better every time.
But like you said, each one to his own horse.

with some freetime, watched "Dont Breathe". A new story, good suspense sequences. Decent screenplay. Worth the time and money, i would say.
Old 15th September 2016, 20:26   #6525
Team-BHP Support

Sully is a pretty good movie. Explores the feeling and trauma one goes through.

Most Viewed