Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2016, 13:25   #6571
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back

Rating: 3/5

A rinse-n-repeat kind of action movie. Wrongly convicted he has to find the people behind it, clear his name and protect his dear ones. There is nothing much to the movie. Go watch the it if you are utterly bored and there is nothing else to do.
Old 27th October 2016, 13:51   #6572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Saw the movie "Hunt for the Wilderpeople"
I didn't choose the Skuxx life, the Skuxx life chose me

I think it was a good movie, really entertaining once it picks up after the first few mins.

The Infiltrator is another good movie I saw recently.
Old 28th October 2016, 10:23   #6573
Senior - BHPian

Saw Our Kind of Traiter adapted from the John Le Carre book of the same name. The movie stars Ewan McGregor and Naomie Harris and is a decent one time watch.

Rating: 6/10
Old 2nd November 2016, 17:02   #6574
BHPian

Got a chance to watch few films last week:

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
Had decent expectations but were let down. Tom Cruise looks utterly bored and lacks the intensity. The movie was a drag.
Rating: 2/5

Overfed & Undernourished:
A brilliant documentary about the 'convenience food' that people in developed nations consume and which we in India have now started to do the same. Thought provoking.
Rating: 4/5

Captain Fantastic:
American drama film about a family that lives off the grid. This is one of those films that lingers long after you have watched it.
Rating: 4.5/5

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3553976/

Old 2nd November 2016, 17:18   #6575
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
A movie that's rated 8/10 on IMDB and 82% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Interstellar was amazing man! If Mulholland Drive is anything like that then it should be fun to watch. Will check out.
Old 2nd November 2016, 20:00   #6576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Saw the movie "Hunt for the Wilderpeople"

Relaxed and quite funny.

I would give it a 4/5 .
I loved this movie and would highly recommend. The movie is about coming of age of delinquent kid, who finally finds his place. the dialogues are funny and the movie is shot in a very scenic environment.

Last edited by motorpsycho : 2nd November 2016 at 20:01.
Old 2nd November 2016, 20:32   #6577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
You sir are responsible for permanently damaging my brain cells. What in the world did I just watch?
Oh cmon! Mulholland Drive wasn't all that bad. Sure it left a lot to interpret.

All said and done, a straightforward movie trilogy told largely in linear narration style like LOTR warrants 2 viewings to fully comprehend what happened (for one who hasn't read the book). I'd watch the movie again to see what I missed first time around. There are also clues from Lynch himself to enable interpretation of what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
A movie that's rated 8/10 on IMDB and 82% on Rotten Tomatoes.
IMDB scores are no benchmarks. I'd take the first few highly upvoted user reviews in IMDB before watching an unknown movie.

Prometheus is also rated 7.0 (was 7.2 when I saw) and 70+% in Rotten Tomatoes. It was one of the worst movies I ever saw in my life. There's an IMDB user review titled 'Where no idiot has gone before' It best describes how I felt about it. Its from this disaster that I always read through user reviews before attempting.
Old 2nd November 2016, 21:49   #6578
BHPian

Thanks to the ongoing discussion in this thread, the Diwali weekend was spent by me watching the following.

1. Mulholland Drive
2. Donnie Darko
3. Primer
4. The Hateful Eight.

I was expecting to be blown away by the first three movies in this list, but to be honest i was not as confused with these as i was with Predestination.

I liked Primer though. For the small budget they have had, they have produced a remarkably good movie which does not feel small compared to the other high star power movies in the list.

Next in my list is Westworld from 1973 to be seen in conjunction with the series.
Old 2nd November 2016, 22:27   #6579
Senior - BHPian

Mulholland Drive vs Interstellar - I had watched these movies couple of years ago. This is what I had felt.

Mulholland Drive: The director has introduced red herrings in the screenplay which I felt was unnecessary. Rating: 3.5/5

Interstellar: The movie has time travel and hence suffers from Temporal paradox. Leaving it aside, Nolan handles a variety of subjects like 3 generations of family, separation & science fiction part very well. I feel his other movies are one-dimensional (which are focussed only on a particular person). In Interstellar, he had complete freedom to work on many dimensions. Hence I feel this is the best work of Nolan as a director (having watched all his movies). Rating: 4.5/5

PS: Unlike Mulholland Drive, I look forward to watching Interstellar again.
Old 4th November 2016, 16:16   #6580
Senior - BHPian

Guys comparing Mulholland Drive & Interstellar, if Mulholland Drive was made today it'd come in the league of Predestination simply because of better technology & movie making competence.

It feels like an old movie when one watches it in 2016 and since it IS less visually appealing than Predestination or Interstellar it would always be a notch less.

How many of you have seen Layer Cake by the way? I have it on my laptop and end up watching it once every 2-3 months since the last 5 years now. Editing, Dialogues & of course the Story make this one super movie!
Old 4th November 2016, 16:23   #6581
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

How many of you have seen Layer Cake by the way? I have it on my laptop and end up watching it once every 2-3 months since the last 5 years now. Editing, Dialogues & of course the Story make this one super movie!
Love it.
I'm sure you know about this, but what is Daniels name in the movie.
Old 4th November 2016, 17:57   #6582
Distinguished - BHPian

Dr. Strange - 3/5
It's a little strange and I feel they haven't taken time to build the who multiverse concept. Marvel fans will still like it but on the whole it's nothing great. The dark dimension's lord is called dormammu & all I could think of was - chodna mat pakde rehna from the fevicol ad & hodor hodor
P.S: Wait for credits to roll

Last edited by procrj : 4th November 2016 at 17:58.
Old 6th November 2016, 09:09   #6583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
P.S: Wait for credits to roll
For a fan of fantasy and cumberbatch the movie is good.

I walked out before the credits scene but apparently there is an intro to the next movie.

Didn't mean this as a spoiler but wanted folks not to miss it so adding some detail.
Old 6th November 2016, 10:07   #6584
Senior - BHPian

Good movie, don't expect too much by way of explosions and stuff though. Marvel's casting still amazes. It's as if this role was made for him.

Lot of easter eggs to generate excitement for comic book fans.

There are two end credit scenes fyi.
Old 6th November 2016, 13:11   #6585
Team-BHP Support

Train To Busan= 3.5 Stars

A zombie movie that got rave reviews all over ( Korean movie with English subtitles). While it was good one time watch, it was not as spectacular as it was made out to be by the reviews.

It was the first time that I watched a foreign language film, and that does kind of take away the experience of enjoying a movie. Also, I guess the subtitles were not a 100% and I had to read up a little on the web to fully understand the relevance of the first five minutes or so and the origination of the zombie virus as depicted in the movie.

This movie reminded me of the superbly sad movie - The Mist

Most Viewed