Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2017, 10:29   #6751
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

The Girl On the Train - 2016
I would rate it as 4/5.

Does have the usual twist at the end. The first half is quite confusing because there are 3 women in the movie and 3 guys. The movie keeps shifting between past flashbacks and the current timeline. To make matters worse 2 of the women look similar. So pay attention to their names and have some patience.

But once you reach the second half , things clear up and it gets interesting.
Overall a good watch in the thriller category.
Old 3rd June 2017, 18:59   #6752
Senior - BHPian

Wonder Woman - Rating 5/5

Outstanding !!! I think this is arguably one of the best superhero (heroine) movie. The movie has a soul, a great story, superb screenplay, rocking special effects, and something unique for a superhero move, fine acting by Gal Gadot and Chris Pine. The chemistry between Gal and Chris is fantastically penned down.

I was disappointed with the first DC movie, Superman vs Batman and had thought that they cannot match the Avengers level. But, I think, Wonder Woman surpassed some of the Avengers movies also, I mean solo movies.

Go watch it !!! Totally worth it. Watch it in IMAX if you can.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-wonderwoman.jpg
Old 6th June 2017, 11:17   #6753
BHPian

Wonder Woman : 4.5/5

I went to watch Wonder Woman yesterday along with my nephew, who is kind of a pro on the topics of DC extended Universe as well as the MCU. So, I was continuously being fed with gallons of information, sub-plots and upcoming sequels relating to this and other DC characters.
We'd first seen Wonder Woman in BvS, where she could make a space for her own, even in the presence of the two heavyweight superheroes. I still remember her introductory action scene vividly. Now she has a movie of her own.

We enjoyed this movie a lot. It has simplistic story line, good humor and exciting visuals. Gal Gadot is a perfect fit to the character and she looks gorgeous. The movie has right pace, length & is involving.

Do watch it in theater.
Old 6th June 2017, 11:23   #6754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
The Girl On the Train - 2016
I would rate it as 4/5.

Does have the usual twist at the end. The first half is quite confusing because there are 3 women in the movie and 3 guys. The movie keeps shifting between past flashbacks and the current timeline. To make matters worse 2 of the women look similar. So pay attention to their names and have some patience.

But once you reach the second half , things clear up and it gets interesting.
Overall a good watch in the thriller category.
I kinda figured out the plot within the first 15 minutes of the movie . However ignoring that bit, I found it to be pretty good and it didn't deserve the bad reviews it received from the critics. Emily Blunt was pretty awesome in her portrayal of an alcoholic.
Old 7th June 2017, 01:16   #6755
Senior - BHPian

Two movies i watched over the weekend:

Kidnap: Halle berry plays a mom whose son gets kidnapped and she follows the kidnappers for over a hour. It gets really frustrating that she didnt want to use her car as a weapon for over an hour! Good movie and lots of crashes.

3/5 just as it keeps you on the edge.

War machine: Brad pitt starrer about the war in Afg. Pitt plays a general who thinks he can single handedly win the war but for the politics behind it and the power plays. It does show a difference between civilian leadership and military leadership. Pitt did a great job but there was no local feel to the same.

3/5 as its worth a watch once for the satire.

Maddy
Old 7th June 2017, 22:51   #6756
BHPian

Second Hand Lions - 2003
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-mv5bmtiznjcyotcxnl5bml5banbnxkftztywode5mjk2._v1_ux182_cr00182268_al__ql50.jpg

A young boy (Haley Joel) is left under the care of his two uncles (Michael Caine & Robert Duvall) who live by their own rules in a remote part of Texas.
It is rumored that they have a stash of cash which they acquired through questionable sources

Another case where the critics butchered it, however I found it quite entertaining. A good watch for a lazy evening.
Would rate it 4/5.
Old 8th June 2017, 03:21   #6757
Distinguished - BHPian

Went to see Wonder woman yesterday evening. Sort of a scifi chick flick. I did not think much of it, but my wife thought it was great.
Old 13th June 2017, 22:11   #6758
BHPian

I Am Heath Ledger

Not exactly a movie. A Wonderfully crafted documentary with tributes from his family, a few other Aussie actors and other people from his life.

Has some amazing bits of Heath doing amateur videos of himself.

Anyone who has seen his performances in movies and enjoyed it would surely enjoy these two hours.
Old 14th June 2017, 03:15   #6759
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonder Woman : 3.5/5

When a production house makes a mess of not one, but several big-ticket movies, you start lowering down your expectations. So eventually you are going to see the ticker go up once they don't screw up. And that's the situation with this movie.

DC does a Marvel and actually gives out a good movie. But in the end it's an introductory movie for a superhero(-ine). And it can never reach the level of a multi-superhero movie (like the Avenger or GOTG).

Gal Gadot gives a great performance, and the movie gives her the prime role. And the chemistry between Chris Pine and Gal Gadot is brief but crisp and refreshing. But in-between the saga the storyline moves to the humans having the good vs evil choice and that is the area that I found boring/repetitive.

Still definitely worth a watch; but keep your expectations in check. And hopefully DC would continue on this path and produce an even better flick next time!
Old 14th June 2017, 06:25   #6760
Senior - BHPian

Saw Wonder Woman and I found it pretty average. The movie elevates itself when Chris Pine is around, the rest of it is meh! Gal is gorgeous though. And disappointed that they didn't use that glorious sound track so well for this one. It doesn't have the same impact as it did on her debut earlier.
Old 14th June 2017, 09:43   #6761
Distinguished - BHPian

Their Finest

Gemma Arterton. 'nuff said!!

A second world war flick set in London, looking at movie production during the war.Specifically in terms of semi-propaganda films.
Gets a little ......sudden(?) near the end but a great watch. Just great fun. And Ms. Arterton.

5/5
Old 14th June 2017, 10:04   #6762
Team-BHP Support

The Mummy

Mix Michael Jackson thriller video with some Mission Impossible story - eliminate any sort of plot and voila!
Old 14th June 2017, 20:24   #6763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Wonder Woman : 3.5/5

When a production house makes a mess of not one, but several big-ticket movies, you start lowering down your expectations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Saw Wonder Woman and I found it pretty average.

Saw it yesterday and I so much agree on the above reviews! Few moments and few stars that shine, but still I felt Zack Snyder striked again!

For a change after reading reviews that WW was the best thing after Dark Knight, i went with high expectations but most of it ( not all) went down the drain.

I am never going to watch a Zack Snyder movie again! ( I said this earlier and got fooled once again). I wonder why DC thinks this guy is the savior of DC franchise. They should learn from Iron Man, Hulk or Batman Begins where they take 2/3 movie time to just develop the character.
Old 15th June 2017, 11:07   #6764
Senior - BHPian

The Mummy - 2/5

Silly movie ! Better avoid now and watch later on TV. Screenplay is so messed up. The scene where the mummy is killing her lover with a dagger is shown at least 15 times in the movie. And the funniest scene is sparks bursting on the screen randomly in between few scenes. It seems the director could not find anything to stitch two scenes together, so the editor must have suggested, let's show some sparks with loud bang.

Tom Cruise gets 1 point and IMAX experience gets the other point. Rest is waste.

And yes, there is a sequel on cards for sure, damn sure.
Old 19th June 2017, 11:05   #6765
Senior - BHPian

Cars - 3 Rating - 3/5

This is not a movie for kids. Period. McQueen suddenly feels outdated, old and less powerful in front of the new, powerful and sleek car models. He is finding it difficult to keep up his aura and starts losing races one after another. He crashes badly and is out of action for some time. Whether he finds his ways of winning again or his life takes a different turn, is for you to watch and find.

Overall, the slowest and least funny movie of the cars series. Our kids were bored for most part of the movie, except the two races, one dirt track and one at the end.

All said and done, it is not a bad movie at all. Worth a watch once and especially in IMAX, its better.

Hopefully, Pixar does not stretch it too far and stop here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks