Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2018, 12:38   #7021
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Brawl in Cell Block 99 : intense drama with a seriously good performance by Vince Vaughn. The movie is centers around him and he delivers a very good performance. A bit gory/violent film, but that was perhaps scripts requirement. 3.5/5
Old 19th May 2018, 09:50   #7022
Senior - BHPian

Watched Deadpool 2 yesterday. Some really funny scenes and lot of blink and you miss it moments

Still amazed how parents bring kids to these movies! It is a non stop barrage of bad language and violence. Sometimes i feel parents can be skewed in that, violence and such is ok for kids to watch but nudity is a big no-no. Ah well.

Parents, please leave your kids at home for this one.
Old 19th May 2018, 10:59   #7023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Watched Deadpool 2 yesterday. Some really funny scenes and lot of blink and you miss it moments

Still amazed how parents bring kids to these movies! It is a non stop barrage of bad language and violence. Sometimes i feel parents can be skewed in that, violence and such is ok for kids to watch but nudity is a big no-no. Ah well.

The bigger question is how the hell cinema halls allow children in an A certificate movie. Even when you book tickets on bookmyshow it clearly stated above 18 only.

Anyways, coming to the movie. Is it worth watching in a movie hall? I mean are there too many cuts and beeps?
Old 19th May 2018, 11:10   #7024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
The bigger question is how the hell cinema halls allow children in an A certificate movie. Even when you book tickets on bookmyshow it clearly stated above 18 only.

Anyways, coming to the movie. Is it worth watching in a movie hall? I mean are there too many cuts and beeps?
Welcome to India! Theater owners don't really care as it is money in the bank for them. Besides in this day and age when information is available a click away, one would think parents would read about the movie and then decide if they want to take kids.

It is indeed worth watching it on the big screen. The action scenes are amazing and the big screen experience would really make a difference. Didn't really notice the cuts and beeps as my mind kept filling up the blanks if there were any.

The only distraction were the subtitles!
Old 19th May 2018, 13:42   #7025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr;4402437/

Little OT. Forget about A certificate movies even mainstream commercial Indianmovies are also not good for childrens.
There are movies for children but not probably advertised or shown in movie theatres.
On Tata Sky there is one channel for Kids Movies which air nice Indian and foreign Movies. I remember few names like I Am Kalam, Jalpari which not only are very good and entertaining with solid child artist performances but also convey good message.
During my childhood our school used to arrange movies like Robinhood Junior, Baal Shivaji, Shyamchi Aai ( Shyam's Mother Award winning black and white marathi movie each child and parent must watch) in local theatre.

Last edited by ajmat : 19th May 2018 at 13:46.
Old 19th May 2018, 18:52   #7026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Little OT. Forget about A certificate movies even mainstream commercial Indianmovies are also not good for childrens.
There are movies for children but not probably advertised or shown in movie theatres.
That would be a big OT discussion But yes, most of the TV serials and Movies are generally not for kids.
Old 21st May 2018, 13:50   #7027
BHPian

Title: Blue Planet II

Review: While everyone was deciding whether to go for Deadpool 2 or not, I came across this movie (actually a documentary) on my twitter feed where it was being appreciated. I fired up BookMyShow and saw that there were barely 2-3 shows during the day in my area. I had never seen a documentary in a theatre and decided to go for this with my wife. The movie highlights the amazing marine life which exists beneath our oceans captured by technology advanced cameras. The movie is presented by Sir David Attenborough with background score from Hans Zimmer (as per Wikipedia).

I am scared of going into deep waters so this movie was a nice way for me to learn about some of the marine creatures which exist on Earth. The movie is just 90 minutes long and features some breathtaking shots of water bodies and the associated marine life. I am not sure if this documentary is available on online portals like Netflix/Amazon but I would prefer watching it in a theatre as opposed to a television at home. In short - this is a must watch! Take your kids along and it will be a good learning experience for them!

Last edited by Saanil : 21st May 2018 at 13:52.
Old 21st May 2018, 14:26   #7028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post

I am not sure if this documentary is available on online portals like Netflix/Amazon but I would prefer watching it in a theatre as opposed to a television at home. In short - this is a must watch! Take your kids along and it will be a good learning experience for them!
It is not available online. It's BBC exclusive, so not available in India. You can download it using other means. It's a six-part series with different locations with each being an hour's length. I think you will enjoy it.

You can also watch Planet Earth.
Old 21st May 2018, 15:19   #7029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2005 View Post
It is not available online. It's BBC exclusive, so not available in India. You can download it using other means. It's a six-part series with different locations with each being an hour's length. I think you will enjoy it.

You can also watch Planet Earth.
Well, the movie which I saw in the theater was just 90 minutes long. It means they have not shown the complete thing. Maybe the movie just highlights the important bits of the entire 6 part series.
Old 22nd May 2018, 18:46   #7030
Senior - BHPian

I totally loved the Avengers - Infinity War !!!

I watch every superhero movie by default, without paying attention to reviews & ratings. In fact, I generally follow this rule for most movies I watch.

I liked the way the story is developed moving from Asgard and ending in Manhattan. Since I had read a lot about Thanos, Gauntlet and overall Avengers, I knew the hint at the end of the credits pretty well (still I waited till the end )

Few scenes were just not awesome but eye-popping IMO. Thor's entry in Wakanda and Doctor Strange's battle with Thanos are crazy scenes with ultimate special effects.

Overall, its a must watch and better even to watch in IMAX. I can hardly wait for the sequel(or conclusion).

On a side note, there are discussions going on about Priyanka Chopra entering the MCU world with the character 'Miss Marvel' who is of Asian origin in the comics. Let's wait and watch.

Before the sequel releases on 3rd May 2019, there are 2 important movies (Ant-Man & The Wasp and Captain Marvel) getting released, which will tell us a lot about the events going to happen in the sequel.

By the way, Deadpool-2 is killing it on the box office and I HAVE TO HAVE TO watch it. All avengers on one side and Deadpool on one side for me. I totally love the whole R-rated treatment to the superhero genre. Kudos to the script writers (ofcourse I don't advocate the R rated language, but hey, even some of our great Hindi movies (Gangs of Waseypur) have a lot of R rated contents.) Ryan Reynolds has totally nailed the character of Deadpool.

And in the DC World, things are also going to get pretty exciting with solo movies of FLASH and AQUAMAN coming soon.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 22nd May 2018 at 18:52.
Old 27th May 2018, 10:52   #7031
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Saw this under the new entrants on Google Play and rented it as the online reviews from IMDB & Rotten Tomatoes are very strong. But found it just average. Would give it 3 / 5 stars. Very overhyped IMHO.

Old 27th May 2018, 16:47   #7032
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
]

My wife and I saw this movie a few weeks. We thought it was excellent. Brought back many memories. There are still plenty of little towns like this left if Missouri and other states.
Old 27th May 2018, 19:41   #7033
Distinguished - BHPian

Solo - A Star Wars Story : 4/5
This is a nice standalone movie in the star wars storyline with very little connect to the Jedi series. Both the lead characters have amazing chemistry while the supporting actors (Woody Harrelson, Donald Grover, Chewbacca, etc) do a great job with generous amount of screen time.

Definitely worth a watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
There are still plenty of little towns like this left if Missouri and other states.
Actually all over the country. And unfortunately for several of them, they are not in good shape either.
Old 28th May 2018, 08:23   #7034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post

. In short - this is a must watch! Take your kids along and it will be a good learning experience for them!
Thanks for the recommendation - will put this on my list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Saw this under the new entrants on Google Play and rented it as the online reviews from IMDB & Rotten Tomatoes are very strong.
And by several of the bhpians as shared across this thread over the last three months.

Quote:
But found it just average. Would give it 3 / 5 stars. Very overhyped IMHO.
Lol - seems like your expectations weren't a lil too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
My wife and I saw this movie a few weeks. We thought it was excellent. Brought back many memories.
Ditto - on both points. The small town does bring back memories; especially if one has spent time/lived in a similar setup, even if only for a short duration.
Old 31st May 2018, 09:30   #7035
Senior - BHPian

Had a long train journey and caught up on a few movies...

Lockout: Time passing run of the mill b movie. Totally avoidable

15.17 to Paris: Had good expectations for this Eastwood movie, but didn't strike a chord except at the end. Watch the last few minutes and save time.

Amistad: Long overdue watch and my god, what a movie. Few inaccuracies with actual history but that made for a better movie!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks