Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2018, 09:47   #7051
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Another movie with high ratings i just couldn't get.

Burn After Reading: Clooney, Pitt, McDormand, Malkovich, Swinton et all and a 7/10 rating from more than 2.7Lakh people got me excited.

Almost slept off....zzzz
Old 28th June 2018, 10:01   #7052
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
All of a sudden I lost respect for the Rock. Zero story, unnecessary stunts made me sleep halfway. But Malin Akerman was too hot (atleast for me)
Rock has done several meaningless movies like that - San Andreas, Pain & Gain, Baywatch, and so many more. Your point is valid - he's such a great actor and does great movies; he can choose to ignore these. But $$$$ on the table

Malin - she looked good; but her age is showing; and did in this movie too.

Trivia - interesting you mentioned him as Rock; so did I when I wrote the previous post; had to edit to change it to D.Johnson. Some things just don't change, do they! *if you smell what the rock is cooking....*

Last edited by ninjatalli : 28th June 2018 at 10:02.
Old 29th June 2018, 00:41   #7053
Senior - BHPian

Any Sicario fans out here? Looking forward to the Part 2 of this movie series. If you love conspiracies between govts and cartel and gang related movies then it is a worth while watch. The pace is slow, but the characters in the lead are real fun to watch.

Only negative of this movie is it seriously needs a stronger negative character to counter the lead actors playing a grey shade in the movie.

PS: if you got 10 mins, instead of the trailer, watch the Border Scene which is widely available on youtube!

Maddy
Old 29th June 2018, 09:23   #7054
BHPian

Just did a quick search on the movies covered in this forum and was shocked to see "The Man from Earth" has not made the list here!
It is so simplistic set with minimal budget, few famous actors and still packs a punch.
It embodies the art of storytelling, a story which captures your attention and fosters curiosity, without jazzy effects and unnecessary fillers.
I am sure many of you must've watched this masterpiece but why it isn't mentioned here bewilders me.
Old 29th June 2018, 09:37   #7055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
Just did a quick search on the movies covered in this forum and was shocked to see "The Man from Earth" has not made the list here!
That's because you have to search with quotes like "Man from Earth" if the search string has a space

Yes its a fantastic movie, there was a sequel too which came out last year (have watched the original, not the sequel).

12 Angry Men and Moon are couple of other movies, where the entire movie proceedings happen in 'one room'
Old 29th June 2018, 09:59   #7056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
That's because you have to search with quotes like "Man from Earth" if the search string has a space
Oh my God!
I did search it with the quotes and boy am I relieved to see that T-BHPians have already discovered this indie gem.
Apologies for flooding with my post.
Old 29th June 2018, 10:17   #7057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Malin - she looked good; but her age is showing; and did in this movie too.
If you like Malin Akerman, you should check out the TV series - Billions. However do not watch with kids as it has a few not so polite scenes.
Old 29th June 2018, 10:32   #7058
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

Yes its a fantastic movie, there was a sequel too which came out last year (have watched the original, not the sequel).

12 Angry Men and Moon are couple of other movies, where the entire movie proceedings happen in 'one room'
The original is FANTASTIC !!

I didn't even know that there was a sequel until you posted. I checked IMDB & Rotten Tomatoes - the movie has horrible rating on both
Old 29th June 2018, 10:47   #7059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Any Sicario fans out here? Looking forward to the Part 2 of this movie series. If you love conspiracies between govts and cartel and gang related movies then it is a worth while watch. The pace is slow, but the characters in the lead are real fun to watch.

Maddy
The first one was a masterpiece. However no Denis Villeneuve and Emily Blunt in this one. Also has middling reviews. I'll wait for the bluray to hit the scene.
Old 29th June 2018, 10:58   #7060
BHPian

Incredibles 2 - 3.5/5

Happened to see Incredibles 2 last weekend. It was a good movie to watch especially since the part 1 came almost 14 years ago. Its around 2 hours and keeps up the pace almost throughout but at times get a little slow (for my taste). Jack Jack (super baby) was the star attraction of the movie but the movie has very little scenes on him. Seeing the trailer I thought that the majority of the movie would be based around him, but that was not the case. Also in most cases, you would be able to guess the plot within the first few minutes itself. Either way, its worth watching once for the little ones in your family if you have the time.
Old 29th June 2018, 11:25   #7061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post

Only negative of this movie is it seriously needs a stronger negative character to counter the lead actors playing a grey shade in the movie.

PS: if you got 10 mins, instead of the trailer, watch the Border Scene which is widely available on Youtube!

Maddy
I must have watched Sicario tens of times and I am still not having enough of it.
For me the high points of the movies are the background score and the story of Benicio del Toro. The films grips you from the first scene itself and the Border scene is just too good.
I have a colleague from Toluca, Mexico and we chatted about Juarez city. He informs that the movie has exaggerated the tension in the town a bit but it surely is a notorious place.

I'll watch the part 2.
Old 29th June 2018, 11:31   #7062
Distinguished - BHPian

As Good as It Gets - 4/5

Sweet movie, simple story but awesome performance by Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt. I caught this while flipping through the channels and then couldn't let it go.
Old 29th June 2018, 23:50   #7063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Burn After Reading
Oh I loved it! The black comedy genre is a difficult art and this movie masters it. The recent Black Male is also of this type but a bit watered down.
Old 30th June 2018, 12:05   #7064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
It is so simplistic set with minimal budget, few famous actors and still packs a punch.
It embodies the art of storytelling, a story which captures your attention and fosters curiosity, without jazzy effects and unnecessary fillers.
I am sure many of you must've watched this masterpiece but why it isn't mentioned here bewilders me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
The Man from Earth

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

Genre- Sci-fi Drama Thriller

9/10

A Perfect Sci-fi Theme with no CGI or VFX or big Budget. The mere plot line will leave you with a bated breath. As the story unravels, you'd feel as excited as a child and every single word of the script will make you think...

Just go for it .
I think you need to refine your search skills...

Jokes apart, this master piece was talked about in this thread by multiple tbhpians and everyone was incredibly impressed.
Old 30th June 2018, 16:00   #7065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
I think you need to refine your search skills...

Jokes apart, this master piece was talked about in this thread by multiple tbhpians and everyone was incredibly impressed.
True here's one more instance .

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2950611

Watched Incredibles 2 last week.

It's Elastigirl and Jack Jack all the way!! Though I do feel first part was slightly better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks