Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2018, 13:58   #7171
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

This is indisputably one of the best movies I've seen in 2018. Amazing story & great performances by all. It's currently showing on &Prive channel (which has awesome movies, by the way). Also there on Google Play.

50/50. Rating it a full 5/5 stars. Heck, I wouldn't mind watching it again this weekend. Adam is a young dude who is suddenly diagnosed with spinal cancer. Won't share anymore, but will tell you that it's an incredible story about relationships. In particular, you'll love his best friend Kyle (played by Seth Rogen). I also found his therapist Katie super duper cute.

Don't miss this gem.

I'll bet you 50 bucks that this will be your favourite song after watching the movie:

Last edited by GTO : 2nd November 2018 at 13:59.
Old 7th November 2018, 05:09   #7172
Distinguished - BHPian

Alpha - 4/5
This is one of the most gorgeous & beautiful cinematography in action; with a very simple storyline behind how man and dog become friends. Watched the entire movie without subtitles (the movie's in a fictional language), and it didn't even matter. Give it a watch for sure!

Equalizer 2 : 2.5/5
Just a normal extension to the first movie; with the trailer pretty much giving you the script of the entire movie. The action's okiesh, even Washington seems bored with the repeated setup. Can give it a miss unless you have time on your hand.

BlackKlansMan : 4/5
Based on a partially true story of how an African-American and a Jewish American attempt to infiltrate the KKK at the height of its power, this is a wonderfully scripted Indie movie, with a comic flair that is perfectly executed. The best part of it is how the movie uses historical aspects and then is able to loop in the current situation (Donald Trump presidency) into the movie's timeline
Old 16th November 2018, 08:47   #7173
Distinguished - BHPian

Searching

Although we have seen many such "missing person thrillers" before, this one is constructed in a totally different way. The entire movie is seen as a laptop screen which was brilliant and a good suspense.

Brilliantly told movie and totally loved it.

Rating - 5/5 (Highly recommended)
Old 18th November 2018, 06:55   #7174
JD1
BHPian

Fantastic Beasts Crimes of Grindelwald - For once the reviewers are right. Not as great as first movie. Good acting but slow story.
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:39   #7175
Senior - BHPian

The Lion King (2019) trailer.

This is one movie I'll actually be eager to watch.
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:18   #7176
Distinguished - BHPian

Bohemian Rhapsody

If you're a Queen fan, you'll love it. If you just listen to Queen occasionally, you'll still enjoy it. I'm a part of the latter group, listened to their music once in a while but was not my band of choice. Didn't expect to enjoy the movie as much as I did. The build up to the final 'Live Aid' scene was fantastic! Makes you realize what a high it must be to perform in front of such an audience.

Doubt the movie will run for too long though, the theater was almost empty last night.
Old 25th November 2018, 00:24   #7177
Distinguished - BHPian

We were watching a Queen documentary on the telly last night. Really enjoyed it and I immediately booked tickets for the cinema. We just got home from seeing Bohemian Rhapsody. Great movie. We thoroughly enjoyed it. The Wembley scenes are just fantastic. At the time July 1985) we were living in our first house in Brighton, UK. Our first son had just been born twelve days earlier.

Obviously, we could not attend in person, but we had the telly going all day long. Lots of people coming all day to see our first born and they all stayed to watch Live Aid with us. An incredible happening. Queen was only one of the acts of course, but they really outdid themselves.

Not sure how big Live aid was in India at the time. But during the eighties this was one of THE events. You were either at one of the stadiums or behind the telly. And on the phone donating money obviously!
Such a shame Freddy died way to early. In those days there was no cure for aids, they could hardly slow it down. He was a fantastic talented person. As a band they were incredible.

An amazing fact I learned on the documentary last night. Queen has toured for just over forty years. The first twenty with Freddie, the second twenty without him.

Jeroen

Last edited by ajmat : 25th November 2018 at 11:33.
Old 25th November 2018, 11:37   #7178
Team-BHP Support

I took my daughter for Bohemian Rhapsody. I liked Queen but never looked beyond the music. It was interesting understanding the team dynamics and the fact that the other members of the band also composed/wrote the some of the songs, it was not all Freddy Mercury.

LIVE AID in India unfortunately was not live, it was the days before satellite TV so we were subjected to later selected snippets from Doordarshan- our one and only governamnet owned channel.
Old 25th November 2018, 12:48   #7179
Distinguished - BHPian

Bohemian Rhapsody: 4/5
I loved the way they portray Freddie and Rami Malek across the trailer and yet in the movie it's all Rami Malek (as Freddie) throughout. He does a fantastic job, though.

I read one of the negative critic reviews on RottenTomatoes on how they expected more on the internal dynamics and the behind-the-show happenings rather than recreated live shows; but I loved it.

I think they over did the love affair(s) of Freddie in the movie; but then these are minor flaws, in an otherwise amazing movie.

One major suggestion - watch it at a movie hall with a good sound system; else half the fun is lost there itself.

If someone is still on the fence or relatively new to Queen and their songs, listen to this just amazing video

Peppermint: 2/5
Heard a lot about this movie as the female John Wick movie. Jennifer Garner gives it her best, but it's a pale movie in comparison. Story lacks so many holes, and the action scenes are made out to be so-so; you can give it a miss unless one has time on their hands.
Old 11th December 2018, 00:24   #7180
Senior - BHPian

Had the misfortune of watching The Predator

It had a decent cast, a promising plot(from the trailer),a well known character(predator) and much better technology compared to the time the first Predator came out way back in 1987. Yet its such a disaster that I am surprised they didn't kill the project after first review. Can you imagine a big slip like having an armor on a kids hand in a scene which disappears briefly and then appears while the kid is just standing at a place in 2018??

The movie is made cheap and the quality shows but the story and screenplay are so bad that it feels as if they had multiple writers on this project with no co-ordination with each other.

The 1 star is for a scene here and there worth watching. Overall a skip.

1/5
Old 11th December 2018, 10:13   #7181
BHPian

Watched Mortal engines over this weekend - partly because wanted to go to a movie hall and no good movie worth watching was on. I thought, coming from the makers of Lords of the ring, at least the visuals would be great, so gave it a try. Came out disappointed.

Too many indifferent plot lines, very unlikely premise, no compelling motive behind anyone doing whatever they are doing in the movie. Not very artistic visuals either. Money and time wasted (even popcorn were too salty).

1/5

P.S. the first trailer release of Avengers: Endgame is good. That's why they call these "Teaser Trailers".
Old 11th December 2018, 12:06   #7182
Team-BHP Support

I've been on a Nazi movie spree, and watched some fantastic and chilling movies recently. Here are my top 5 War and Nazi movies (not in order):

1) The Pianist
2) Dunkirk
3) Operation Finale
4) Schindler's List
5) The Captain
Old 11th December 2018, 12:27   #7183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I've been on a Nazi movie spree, and watched some fantastic and chilling movies recently. Here are my top 5 War and Nazi movies (not in order):

1) The Pianist
2) Dunkirk
3) Operation Finale
4) Schindler's List
5) The Captain
Oh man. Those are some of the most stressful, heart-breaking and gut-wrenching movies!

Top it off with Life is Beautiful and you might need therapy.
Old 11th December 2018, 12:36   #7184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Oh man. Those are some of the most stressful, heart-breaking and gut-wrenching movies!

Top it off with Life is Beautiful and you might need therapy.
Damn right I needed therapy, which is why I took a break and watched Bohemian Rhapsody. Twice!

Of all the movies recorded in my top 5 list, I'd rate The Pianist at 5/5. It's the best of the lot, undoubtedly.
Old 11th December 2018, 12:45   #7185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Damn right I needed therapy, which is why I took a break and watched Bohemian Rhapsody. Twice!

Of all the movies recorded in my top 5 list, I'd rate The Pianist at 5/5. It's the best of the lot, undoubtedly.
When you're qualified fit, here's some more relatively unknown ones:
Atonement
Allied
Jakob the liar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks