Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2019, 16:06   #7291
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
1400 for 2 is damn cheap. In Pune, IMAX tickets are 900/950/1000 per ticket. Marvel is really cashing in on the huge popularity and also letting the theater owners milk the unsuspecting and nerdy customers.

I have rarely watched a movie, in a non-IMAX theater since we got our first IMAX in Pune. The overall experience at IMAX is 100 times better than most theaters in Pune now. Most first timers need to revamp their infrastructure to match the grandeur of IMAX at Cinepolis. From parking to lounge to washrooms to seats to sound quality to picture quality, every aspect is better at IMAX. But the downside is the exorbitant prices of the food items at food court.

Anyways, back on the topic.
Wow must be thanking my lucky stars then that I am able to watch an IMAX ticket at 300 bucks per ticket. 1000 per ticket
Old 24th April 2019, 16:19   #7292
Senior - BHPian

Forget exorbitant IMAX. Got good old Inox 3D tickets at Rs. 300 a pop, i.e. 600 for two tickets. With a cashback of Rs. 250 on my debit card, works out to a sweet Rs. 350 for two tickets!

Of course, these are for Tuesday night show, and not weekend prices. In Bangalore, theaters have petitioned the government for allowing them to screen the movie 24/7. In Mumbai, there are shows at 3 AM () and those too are sold out over the weekend, from what my friends tell me. This is absolute madness, huge windfall for theaters for this single mega- blockbuster this year.

On another note, the first critic reviews are out and the film is supposed to be fantastic, a fitting end to the series and a thorough entertainer. Looking forward to Tuesday's show.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 24th April 2019 at 16:21.
Old 24th April 2019, 17:25   #7293
Senior - BHPian

Here you go.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-tickets.jpg

As is publicly announced and known to all, Endgame is going to be the last movie of Iron Man and Captain America, as the actors' contracts are ending post the Endgame movie. Also, there are going to be no post credit scenes for the first time, as Marvel has not yet planned for the next Avengers movie.

If there are any ardent Marvel fans, you would really appreciate this article on BBC.
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47623536
Old 24th April 2019, 17:44   #7294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
1400 for 2 is damn cheap. In Pune, IMAX tickets are 900/950/1000 per ticket. Marvel is really cashing in on the huge popularity and also letting the theater owners milk the unsuspecting and nerdy customers.

I have rarely watched a movie, in a non-IMAX theater since we got our first IMAX in Pune. The overall experience at IMAX is 100 times better than most theaters in Pune now. Most first timers need to revamp their infrastructure to match the grandeur of IMAX at Cinepolis. From parking to lounge to washrooms to seats to sound quality to picture quality, every aspect is better at IMAX. But the downside is the exorbitant prices of the food items at food court.

Anyways, back on the topic.
That is the Noida IMAX. Forgot to add that.
Delhi IMAX has tickets starting at 800 per person.

I prefer watching movies at PVR and INOX as they both are 10 mins drive from my home. Tickets are also less than 200 mostly.
Though I agree with you completely. IMAX experience is much superior but spending this much money just for a movie somehow my brain can't justify that. Especially when I have Netflix, Prime Video subscriptions running too.. But, But, Heart is still wrestling up for IMAX
Old 25th April 2019, 00:08   #7295
Senior - BHPian

Well I am in Singapore for an official visit.
Guess what I realised? End game releases here on 24th, a full 2 days before it does in India.
How can I miss this!!!

Although my tickets for Sunday show are booked in Pune, I couldn't resist the temptation.

Boy what a movie. Everything that Marvel has made beginning from Iron Man till now was building up to this. It was unprecedented, the hype is crazy and the result is massive.

This was to be the ultimate in Marvel's journey so far and boy have they nailed it. From a comic book movie there is not much more you can expect that End game doesn't serve you. An extravaganza of huge proportions.

There is tension, there are witty oneliners there is action and nicely timed comic relief; everything that works so well to create a great MCU movie. The battle scenes are just amazingly fanboygasmic (did I invent a new word?). I was clapping and cheering in the cinema hall like a school boy!! Just when you thought Hulk bossed it, in comes Thor, then iron man, one by one each character gets to show some really cool stuff and the action never actually ends.

What you have seen in the trailers is just scratching the surface. With this movie marvel has successfully managed to keep the plot so close to their chest that nothing is revealed in the trailers. Whatever you saw happens pretty early in the movie and this sets you up for a great time.

The movie is worth all the hype and more. It does have loose ends and some plot holes. I can nitpick and say the CGI could be better at places. But for a moment just forget all that. Go out there and enjoy your time. Let the school kid out and have some fun!! It will be worth it.

Whatever it takes \m/

Last edited by vibbs : 25th April 2019 at 00:35.
Old 25th April 2019, 01:05   #7296
BHPian

Endgame was such a disappointment, what a massive waste of opportunities just for illogical melodramatic ending like a romantic bollywood flick. It could have been legendary, how could Russo Brothers deliver such injustice.

People might like it for the overwhelming presence of superheroes and absolutely stunning CGI but I would somehow try to forget it and would believe that the Infinity War was the one true ending.
Old 25th April 2019, 09:36   #7297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
This was to be the ultimate in Marvel's journey so far and boy have they nailed it. From a comic book movie there is not much more you can expect that End game doesn't serve you. An extravaganza of huge proportions.
I am so happy to hear that the movie meets and probably surpasses expectations of rabid Marvel fanboys like myself. I have been consciously staying away from even trailers to avoid any kind of spoilers, but I finally couldn't resist and caved in to watch some snippets on Youtube. What I saw whetted my appetite even further, and I cant wait for Tuesday night to come- which is when my tickets are booked for.

Like some others, I was just not able to fork out atrocious amounts for Imax, and have chosen to go for the normal 3D show in Bangalore.
Old 25th April 2019, 10:06   #7298
Senior - BHPian

Watched two excellent movies on the train ride home last night.

1) Arctic:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6820256/

Mads Mikkelsen as a crash survivor in the Arctic was a movie too good to pass and it did not disappoint. Though i did end up with snow blindness :P

2) Stan & Ollie:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3385524/

Had my apprehension with John C Reilly as Ollie but man oh man did he and steve coogan pull it off amazingly well! The mannerisms and the banter was just so nostalgic to behold. Fans of Laurel and Hardy, please watch it
Old 25th April 2019, 16:02   #7299
BHPian

Can’t remember another instance when there was such hype, such expectations from a movie as Avengers Endgame. Spent the second half of Sunday trying to book for a showing in PVR Cochin on 26th, but no luck and booked for 27th 7:00 am in Carnival Trivandrum. This after already having booked for 27th evening earlier

Was pretty much taken aback to see that shows were sold out in mofussil towns like Alappuzha, Haripad etc. In fact I tried any theatre worth it’s salt between Ernakulam and Trivandrum for a first day booking, but no luck.

Can’t wait.
Old 25th April 2019, 16:09   #7300
Senior - BHPian

Tickets booked for 10 am show in PVR on Monday. First time I am watching an early morning show as for rest all my desired seats weren't available. Hope it stays true to all the hype.
Old 26th April 2019, 15:10   #7301
Distinguished - BHPian

Avengers Endgsme: 4 / 5

Thanks to the early release in Singapore, got to see this yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Endgame was such a disappointment.
100% agree. Too many subplots and and the end was too much extended. I get a feeling a lot of the actors pulled strings to get a more meaty role since the marvel universe saga is expected to go very lean going forward.

Still definitely a worthwhile watch but I was much more happy after the previous installment. Also if you have someone with you who's not seen the previous installments, please do not let him/her watch this without giving him a full detailed context of the previous movie. Faced that scenario yesterday and it was not a good situation at all.
Old 28th April 2019, 16:47   #7302
Senior - BHPian

Avengers:
3/5 for me.

Being a Thor comic book nerd it gutted me to see him reduced to a caricature in the movie :(

Other than that i felt it went needlessly into areas it needn't have forayed into too much and needed more action.
Old 29th April 2019, 18:32   #7303
BHPian

Re: Television shows: What do you watch? (No Spoilers Please)

Watched the Avengers Endgame and can't be more stoked. This was a well thought out conclusion.

However, a number of my friends say it is very average movie... I am surprised...
Old 30th April 2019, 09:27   #7304
BHPian

Was lucky to be one of the first to watch Avengers Endgame, on Wednesday mid morning AEST, way ahead of release in many other parts of the world.

To me it was a great culmination of the universe they had built up in the past decade over 20+ movies. As MCU fanboys, me and my son thoroughly enjoyed every single second. Was it too much, did they start new subplots, did they leave some open for interpretation, Well, I don't care. For me it was a great entertainer and a great way to end a decade long story line.

Planning to watch it in 4DX over the weekend.
Old 30th April 2019, 09:33   #7305
Senior - BHPian

Avengers End game

Rating: 3/5
For me it did not live up to my expectations. Some of the earlier movies were much better. Thank God, my son asked me to ditch the Rs. 1000 Imax tickets.

Most Viewed