Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2019, 10:39   #7306
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Endgame was such a disappointment, what a massive waste of opportunities just for illogical melodramatic ending like a romantic bollywood flick. It could have been legendary, how could Russo Brothers deliver such injustice.
Agree 100%.

I had massive expectations from Endgame after watching the trailers. A few of my friends were fortunate enough to catch the first few shows on Friday and had told me that it was epic. So, I braced myself for getting blown away but came out of the movie underwhelmed. The first half, I understand they had to build the plot but it was such a drag for me as opposed to Infinity War which started with Thanos killing Loki!!! That was one of countless moments and we were not even 5 minutes into that movie! Second half does pick up pace but I did not have any edge of the seat moments at all! At one point, even I was wondering if Karan Johar was involved in the making of this movie (ok, I am exaggerating. It's not so bad!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
People might like it for the overwhelming presence of superheroes and absolutely stunning CGI but I would somehow try to forget it and would believe that the Infinity War was the one true ending.
The movie is entertaining, no doubt. But as an MCU fan, who's been following the buildup to this penultimate end to a saga, I was left short and wanting.

Infinity War for me is the best movie from MCU.

PS: While ensuring not to give any spoilers away, I have to confess that it was heartbreaking for me watch Thor in that avatar for the entire movie!

I'm sorry, I had to tell it.

Last edited by Porschefire : 30th April 2019 at 10:41.
Old 1st May 2019, 23:31   #7307
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Avengers finally after such a long wait and by the end of it, I am just pissed off at wasting close to 4 hours of my life doing it. The movie looked like a bollywood flick with no storyline or script. Only thing it was missing was Salman Khan (SRK already went into space in the last movie I heard) and a few item numbers. Probably would have been more interesting in that case.

Humble appeal to all who haven't watched it - Please avoid and have good memories of the Avenger series. This one will make you cringe.
Old 2nd May 2019, 09:52   #7308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Humble appeal to all who haven't watched it - Please avoid and have good memories of the Avenger series. This one will make you cringe.
But wasn't that expected? It was far less worse than I'd imagined.. Civil War and Infinity War changed the tone of the candyfloss babyish story-line of Marvel into a more serious tone with real consequences and impact on actions, surely they won't pull a DC by making an all-out serious ending. After watching the debacle that was Iron Man 3 and the dance-off video in Youtube of Guardians of the Galaxy (Starlord is possibly the most useless creation in comic-lore, played by an equally useless deadpan actor), End Game was almost Oscar-worthy.

The scene where Thanos sits in wait should be the greatest in all of Marvel history, they nailed it, total BOSS. Yes the storyline and logic, all over the place as usual.. just a movie meant to break (shatter) records one after the other, Captain Marvel and team would bring in the feminazis by the tens of thousands (though going by true comic book power levels, Thanos will flatten the entire Avengers times 10 on his own).
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:00   #7309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
But wasn't that expected? It was far less worse than I'd imagined.. Civil War and Infinity War changed the tone of the candyfloss babyish story-line of Marvel into a more serious tone
Tend to agree with that view.

Civil War and Infinity War were real masterpieces, and in comparison, Endgame was not quite up to the mark. I would not go as far to to deride it and advise fans to give it a miss, but I would have been happier if there was more action in the first half, and better fleshed out roles to more characters. Also, the Avengers team has become so bottom heavy that it was literally a few seconds' worth of roles for many of the characters, some of them fan favourites too. I was also disappointed with the way the Hulk character has been evolved. I prefer his earlier avatar, not this one Thor's treatment I was agnostic towards, since I have never been a huge fan.

Needless to say, the spate of disappointed reviews is probably because expectations and emotions were sky high when going into the theater. Overall, it is still a must watch for fans, but curb your expectations a bit when stepping in for the show.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 2nd May 2019 at 10:08.
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:26   #7310
Senior - BHPian

Avengers - Endgame Rating: 3.5/5

I agree with most of the views here. If I have to rate the Avengers movies in order of quality, then it would be Civil War > Infinity War > Age of Ultron > Avengers Assemble > Endgame.

The first half was a bit of a drag. Movie reaches its peak only in the last 30-45 minutes or so. However, once the action begins and one by one characters start appearing on the screen, you cannot help but clap/shout/whistle (whatever suits you).

If you have not watched most of the previous Avengers/Captain America/Guardians/IronMan movies, then you might feel clueless as to what the hell is going on. Credit should be given to the writers on how they have built up this complicated plot with a decent (if not best) culmination over so many years, carrying those subtle clues (mostly in the post credits) all the way for 10+ years.

Is it the BEST Hollywood movie of 2019, I do NOT think so. I enjoyed Captain Marvel more and I think Hobbs & Shaw will be a roller coaster ride of sheer entertainment.

If you are a die hard Avengers/MCU fan, you should watch it, at least once. If you are not a fan and have not been a regular viewer of MCU movies, then please skip it. My friend who had never watched any of the Avengers/MCU movies, watched Endgame due to peer pressure and came out using all explicit swear words, because he did not understand a ***t.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th May 2019 at 16:56. Reason: Easy on the spoilers please.
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:22   #7311
BHPian

Avengers - Endgame; Rating: 3/5
Agree with most of the posts here. Endgame was indeed under-whelming, especially after all the 'Whatever it takes' hype. The movie pacing is a weird mix of fast and slow. As a life long comics fan, I am more pissed off at how under powered the super heroes are in the movie. Thor is a joke. Danvers is under used. So are BP, Hulk and most of the others.

On the other hand, as a hard core DC fan, I'm used to disappointments!

PS: I was half expecting an Adam Warlock cameo or reference in the movie

PPS: I'm very glad the Thanos-bum hole theory turned out to be false

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th May 2019 at 16:55. Reason: Easy on the spoilers please. There are folks who haven't watched the movie.
Old 2nd May 2019, 20:40   #7312
BHPian

I guess many people above forgot the thread title ..(No Spoilers Please)

Me thinks, It was a proper Ending to the MCU. I am sure we will have mutiple story lines spawning out of it. Wasn't great blown away, but was OK. Thanos's explanation i found satisfactory and If I say "I agree with Thanos would not be totally wrong either."

Rating: 4/5
Old 4th May 2019, 22:17   #7313
Team-BHP Support

I haven't seen a single Avengers movie but I would like to catch up with the rest of the world

What is the order of watching the movies ? I googled and each website throws up a different suggestion

https://www.amctheatres.com/amc-scen...ewatch-the-mcu

https://thetvtraveler.com/best-order...-through-2019/

http://digg.com/2017/how-to-watch-al...matic-universe

https://c-3sux78kvnkay76x24itkz0x2eihyoyzgzoix2eius.g00.cnet .com/g00/3_c-3ccc.itkz.ius_/c-3SUXKVNKAY76x24nzzvyx3ax2fx2fitkz0.ihyoyzgzoi.iusx 2fosmx2fo91hx782ThCAyRMteE_18h_UU-i80x3dx2f8675x2f69x2f83x2f29gg373h-19h5-0igi-4461-73991li0lli1x2fsia-zoskrotk-8675-x78kjkyomt-b03-rgx78mk.pvm_$/$/$/$/$/$/$/$?i10c.ua=1&i10c.dv=15

Edit:
I have't read any comic either.

Last edited by Eddy : 4th May 2019 at 22:19.
Old 5th May 2019, 06:52   #7314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
What is the order of watching the movies ?
I'd say, in the order in which they were released. They are listed here.
Old 5th May 2019, 07:47   #7315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I haven't seen a single Avengers movie but I would like to catch up with the rest of the world

What is the order of watching the movies ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I'd say, in the order in which they were released. They are listed here.
While I agree with @Gannu_1, but that's a huge list. if you are pressed for time, there are a few movies you can skip as they are more focused on subplots or launching certain characters into the MCU than building on the main storyline (Infinity Stones, Thanos)

- Iron Man 2
- Iron Man 3
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Ant Man
- Guardians of the Galaxy 2
- Black Panther

(note: above movies are pretty good but can be skipped only if time constraints)
Old 5th May 2019, 10:11   #7316
Senior - BHPian

Winter soldier cannot be skipped!!!

Has crucial bits for first two phases and also lays down the base for civil war.

More importantly for me, it's among the best movie in MCU

I agree they need to be seen in the order of release dates. MCU movies are never complete without the end credit scenes and if you include them then watching as per the time line, with captain marvel coming in second does not make much sense.

Quote:

What is the order of watching the movies ? I googled and each website throws up a different suggestion

https://www.amctheatres.com/amc-scen...ewatch-the-mcu

https://thetvtraveler.com/best-order...-through-2019/

http://digg.com/2017/how-to-watch-al...matic-universe

https://c-3sux78kvnkay76x24itkz0x2eihyoyzgzoix2eius.g00.cnet .com/g00/3_c-3ccc.itkz.ius_/c-3SUXKVNKAY76x24nzzvyx3ax2fx2fitkz0.ihyoyzgzoi.iusx 2fosmx2fo91hx782ThCAyRMteE_18h_UU-i80x3dx2f8675x2f69x2f83x2f29gg373h-19h5-0igi-4461-73991li0lli1x2fsia-zoskrotk-8675-x78kjkyomt-b03-rgx78mk.pvm_$/$/$/$/$/$/$/$?i10c.ua=1&i10c.dv=15

Edit:
I have't read any comic either.
I must warn though, comic book movies are not everyone's liking. It needs some suspension of belief and don't expect a sealed shut movie with min plot holes. No matter what, there will be some.

Last edited by vibbs : 5th May 2019 at 10:19.
Old 5th May 2019, 15:00   #7317
Distinguished - BHPian

Just watch the four avengers and the first guardians. Guardians also just so that the characters are not a surprise, and for the most direct introduction of thanos. Guardians, avengers, ultron, infinity and endgame.
However, had I been in your place, I would have set aside two weekends to watch all as they had released, but only because I've been reading them for ages.
Old 5th May 2019, 15:32   #7318
Senior - BHPian

For the correct order of MCU movies, follow this diagram. It makes sense as things will move in chronological order rather than release date. Also as suggested by few, some of the 21 movies can be skipped if you are short on time.

Trivia - One of the most famous dialogues from Endgame "I love you 3000" also has a logic. The total running time of all 22 movies from Ironman-1 to Endgame is exactly 3000 minutes. Hence, the dialogue was tweaked to reflect the same. Why wasn't it 2500 or 10000, why 3000 only? 😁

The Incredible Hulk - you'll learn all you need to know about the key characters here in Avengers Assemble

Thor - ditto

Thor: The Dark World - you don't need to see this to get the gist of Avengers: Age of Ultron

Iron Man 2 - Scarlett Johansson fans may not want to skip this one, as it marks her entry into the MCU

Iron Man 3 - Robert Downey Jr is always watchable, but skipping this won't leave you confused

Ant-Man - Scott Lang and his superpowers get introduced all over again in Captain America: Civil War
Doctor Strange - all you really need to know is this film introduces the Time Stone.

Guardians of the Galaxy, Volume 2 - there's some nice character development here, but it won't give you new information on the final battle

Black Panther - we hesitate to suggest you skip this Oscar-winning film, as it's one of the MCU's best, but other than introducing Wakanda as a location, you'll get most of the relevant information about the characters introduced here in Captain America: Civil War and Avengers: Infinity War

Captain Marvel - again, watch this if you can but if you're pushed for time, all you really need to know is that Carol Danvers (Brie Larson) got her powers from the Space Stone (aka the Tesseract) and she's going to be important to the final battle in Endgame. Also, the man who put together the Avengers - Nick Fury - lost his eye to an alien disguised as a cat.
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-1557050408630.jpg  

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 5th May 2019 at 15:44.
Old 6th May 2019, 09:41   #7319
Team-BHP Support

Not surprised many are disappointed with Avengers Endgame. As a standalone movie - it was rather average, but as an ending to the series - it was utterly brilliant.

I would say - Unless you are a fan of the finer details, you wouldn't really enjoy it. Most scenes and lines are throwbacks to earlier movies and iconic scenes, and the way the characters are built up over the years. Even the ending is teased since the 2008 original right in our faces.

Amazes me how well they tied up movies over 11 years and managed to end a movie in 2019 consistent with what they had teased in 2008.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th May 2019 at 09:42.
Old 6th May 2019, 10:28   #7320
BHPian

Coming out of the Avengers craze, watched Asterix and Obelix in Olympics few days ago. Decent movie. Loved the Michael Schumacher and Jean Todt cameos.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks