Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2019, 16:15   #7381
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Fast&Furious-Hobbs &Shaw
3.5/5
Imax at RMZ Galleria
The movie a good action flick. A combination of multiple movie ideas to make this one.
It has some great action & chase scenes. The final battle is quite interesting.
However without Dominic Toretto and gang I felt it was missing the F&F feel.
Maybe they will come in the next one.
Old 21st August 2019, 08:43   #7382
Senior - BHPian

Finally caught up with Lion (2016)

Amazing to summarize in a single word. Really gripping and really interesting story. Sometimes it did get a bit boring at some places but I guess that is just nitpicking. I could really relate to it as I actually chanced upon two incidences in my life that can relate to this film. As a student I did my higher studies in France and there came across a girl who was adopted by a French family (she and her brother, both were). She spoke no French when she arrived in France and her French parents spoke only French. She talked about all the struggles they had in the beginning and how lovingly her parents raised them. Watching this film rekindled those conversations in my mind. Another incident was actually in Germany (this was in 2004) where I lived in a house in which a German film maker had his office. He was into video processing and post production work at that time. He showed me one video that he had recently worked on for a family there. They had adopted an Indian kid and this video was about his returning to India to his extended family and meeting them for the first time (this was actual family video, not a film).

5/5 rating for me. I can watch this film again anytime.

Last edited by joslicx : 21st August 2019 at 08:45.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 11:01   #7383
Team-BHP Support

Once Upon a time in Hollywood

A very long film. Meant to be an indirect biopic on Burt Reynolds realising that he is now a has been! Only worth watching if you know a little bit about Charles Manson, Sharon Tate, Bruce Lee (the scene is funny). Music is good. first half drags though.
Old 21st August 2019, 13:33   #7384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Once Upon a time in Hollywood

A very long film. Meant to be an indirect biopic on Burt Reynolds realising that he is now a has been! Only worth watching if you know a little bit about Charles Manson, Sharon Tate, Bruce Lee (the scene is funny). Music is good. first half drags though.
Me and my wife watched this movie last week and enjoyed it thoroughly. It felt like a biopic, with references to actual actors of those years, and yet the lead actors weren't real. Loved the story telling which made the movie look like a thriller. Brilliant acting and that superb ending meant it was a morning very well spent for us!

I agree the film felt getting dragged in bits and pieces.
Old 21st August 2019, 13:54   #7385
BHPian

I'm stoked with this news, and thought that there might be many other people happy to hear it, so sharing it here

The Matrix: Keanu Reeves to reprise role for fourth chapter

Quote:
Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss will return in a fourth instalment of sci-fi franchise The Matrix, with Reeves reprising his lead role as hacker Neo.

Matrix co-creator Lana Wachowski will write, direct and produce the film, a third sequel to the original 1999 hit.

Ms Wachowski celebrated The Matrix's return, saying many of the ideas it explores are "even more relevant now".
Source

Cheers
Old 22nd August 2019, 09:47   #7386
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
The Matrix: Keanu Reeves to reprise role for fourth chapter

Cheers
Thats one character, actor and storyline that I can never get bored with! Even if it goes slightly wrong, such as revolutions. Wonder what he will be doing, Neo, in this one though. Maybe NIIT classes?

Carrie-anne moss is still a crush, and she has aged quite gracefully. She still looked amazing in Iron Fist, so definitely looking forward to this one.
Old 22nd August 2019, 14:30   #7387
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the Matrix news. Ditto for me, I can watch Matrix movies on repeat mode again and again. It was way ahead of its time and had lot of first timers in terms of special effects and technology.

Hope the 4th one is as good. But in any case, I will be watching it, so does not matter. Looking at John Wick series, one thing is for sure, Keanu is still very fit and can pull off Neo once again.

I received my Avengers Endgame original (?) jacket yesterday. As the delivery was delayed by almost 3 weeks, they also sent a complimentary Endgame t-shirt.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-endgame.jpg
Old 22nd August 2019, 18:05   #7388

Fast & Furious : Hobbs & Shaw

All those who have watched the trailer know what to expect from this movie. The good thing is that it delivers what it promises. The action is good and in plenty. The two things which stand out are -
1. The hateful banter between Dwyane Johnson and Jason Statham is genuinely funny and the insults are really well written Seems like they have taken a cue from the MCU movies and there is a healthy dose of humour, unlike most Fast & Furious movies where the entire responsibility was on Tyrese Gibson's Roman Pearce.
2. Vanessa Kirby gets nearly as much screen time as the leading duo, which is a very good thing as it brings a much needed breath of fresh air. Her impressive acting fails to disappoint. Again, I couldn't help but notice the MCU similarity ; what Captain Marvel was to Avengers : Endgame, Vanessa Kirby's character is to the upcoming F&F 9 and 10.

Overall, this movie is worth a watch, not just for the franchise fans (myself included), but everyone who is a connoisseur of fine action movies.
Old 24th August 2019, 12:22   #7389
Distinguished - BHPian

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: 2 / 5

Boring. Very anecdotal at times, primarily made for folks who can relate to Manson/Tate/Lee and the incidents of those days. Otherwise a very simple and slow storyline with literally nothing great to watch for, except for the star-studded cast who at times feel very boring to watch. I slept off during the movie; it was that bad.

Out of the three of us who went to see the movie, two were disappointed. The third one liked it because of the way the movie was shot, but didn't really enjoy the movie otherwise.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th September 2019 at 19:28. Reason: America to Hollywood. Different movies. ;)
Old 24th August 2019, 13:25   #7390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: 2 / 5
Boring. Very anecdotal at times, primarily made for folks who can relate to Manson/Tate/Lee and the incidents of those days.
On the contrary, I have only the slightest peripheral knowledge about Manson/Tate but I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

The meta references, the parody and the fetish for revisionism is all vintage Tarantino, and I found it better than his last two offerings, viz. Django and Eight. The audacious (albeit crowd pleasing) ending caps it well.

Would rate it 4.5/5, with the half point taken off for seemingly reducing Tate and one other character (spoiler) to a caricature, kind of.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th September 2019 at 19:29. Reason: Quote edited.
Old 25th August 2019, 06:02   #7391
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sharing a review of this BORING movie here so that no BHPian has to endure it. I went for it - knowing that I'll hate it - but my sister wanted to see it, so just went to give her company .

Blinded by the light = 1 / 5 stars. It's a true story, but a pretty lame one. Pakistani kid who has the usual teenage / home issues & gets really inspired by Bruce Springsteen.
Old 25th August 2019, 13:05   #7392
Senior - BHPian

Saw 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' yesterday.

Frankly, it is not a movie and there is no script. It just narrates a random story from a time when the golden age of Hollywood was coming to an end with a twist on the Charles Manson murders.
Pretty Boring!

Last edited by aah78 : 9th September 2019 at 19:30. Reason: Title fixed.
Old 26th August 2019, 09:33   #7393
BHPian

Cold Pursuit : 3/5
Liam Neeson stars in this revenge story. Don't know why people still pick Liam Neeson's family members for kidnap or murder. Unlike his 'Taken' series, he is not a CIA operative this time. He is just a humble Snow Plow driver who has to avenge the untimely demise of his son.
Old 26th August 2019, 09:47   #7394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Liam Neeson stars in this revenge story. Don't know why people still pick Liam Neeson's family members for kidnap or murder. Unlike his 'Taken' series, he is not a CIA operative this time. He is just a humble Snow Plow driver who has to avenge the untimely demise of his son.
Haven't watched this, but the original norwegian movie was good.

'In Order of Disappearance'
Old 26th August 2019, 10:07   #7395
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Watched this on a a flight. Bit of a black comedy. What was sad was how small town and a native community are enslaved by the drug trade.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks