Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2019, 10:00   #7411
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

The 33:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2006295/

"Based on the real-life event, when a gold and copper mine collapses, it traps 33 miners underground for 69 days"

A pretty decent reenactment of the real life event. Filled with typical hollywood cliches of course but you can forgive that. Movie is a good feel-good movie.

3/5
Old 14th September 2019, 21:27   #7412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
How come none of you mentioned a glaring error in the movie?
In the first 15 minutes of the movie,where they show the lead actor's home, supposedly in Lahore and as he is pushing his dad's dear car, an Innova passes them, but then the error was, that in the very next frame an Indica passes them. Now I would assume no Pakistani worth his salt would buy an Indica, even if it was ever sold in Pakistan.
Haha, i saw that today. Anyways didnt find anything new in the movie. Waste of time in my opinion.
Old 16th September 2019, 16:49   #7413
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You don't know Jack = 4 / 5 stars

Currently streaming on Hotstar.

Pacino (as always) is brilliant in playing the role of an eccentric doctor who supports euthanasia. It's a true story on a sensitive issue. The dialogues are simply brilliant. Must watch!

Old 16th September 2019, 18:32   #7414
Team-BHP Support

Secondhand Lions 4/5

Brilliant movie about a boy foisted onto two cranky grumpy grand-uncles (who both had a colourful past!) who mistrust everyone and do crazy things. Starring Michael Caine and Robert Duvall)

Old 16th September 2019, 19:03   #7415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
6. Born free- About a lioness
Surprised that there's just one recommendation for this film here. This was the first English movie that my father saw at a movie theater back when he was in school, and he was so moved by it that he remembered its name and got me a DVD of it nearly 35 years later in 2005! Was doing some pre-Durga Puja cleaning around the house and found this DVD today.

Really touching movie, and definitely deserves a watch. It's about a lion cub raised by a human couple in Kenya. Pet-lovers would love the film!
Would rate it a full 5/5.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-img_20190916_185557.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 7th October 2019 at 18:59. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 16th September 2019, 20:32   #7416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Surprised that there's just one recommendation for this film here. This was the first English movie that my father saw at a movie theater back when he was in school, and he was so moved by it that he remembered its name and got me a DVD of it nearly 35 years later in 2005! Was doing some pre-Durga Puja cleaning around the house and found this DVD today.

Really touching movie, and definitely deserves a watch. It's about a lion cub raised by a human couple in Kenya. Pet-lovers would love the film!
Born Free is an all time and evergreen classic, not to mention it is one of the best when it comes to cinematic treats on the African wilderness. Absolute treat to watch, if one is even remotely interested in wildlife films. Never ceased to be amazed as to how they managed to shoot the film so well with actual adult lions!

The second and third installments, Living Free and Forever Free, are great watches as well. Must watch films, in my book.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 16th September 2019 at 20:33.
Old 16th September 2019, 20:53   #7417
BHPian

'Sicario' (2015) starring Benecio Del Toro. Perhaps the best I have watched in the crime/action/law enforcement/drug trafficking genre. Fast paced, gritty with some brilliant performances especially by Del Toro. Viewer discretion advised as there are some gruesome scenes.

Available on Hotstar

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3397884/
Old 16th September 2019, 22:30   #7418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post

Yeah watched the movie as a kid and I still remember it. Also, Beautiful People - what narration!
Old 5th October 2019, 15:15   #7419
BHPian

Saw an older movie on netflix - The Angel - A good espionage thriller based on a true story.

Rating : 4.5 / 5

Good suspense. Good pace all around. There are places it could have been faster, still. Had a good time reading up further after watching the movie to learn more on the real life events on which the movie is based.
Old 5th October 2019, 15:31   #7420
BHPian

No post yet on Joker? Saw it on Tuesday. Mind has been blown by Joaquin Phoenix. An Oscar-worthy performance. The movie itself has two sides. If you like twists and suspense, this movie is definitely not for you as you already know how it pans out. Similarly, it's not for those that love action - since there is but little.

If you like drama, character detail and brilliant (virtuoso, really) performances, this is absolutely must-watch fare. I generally like action and suspense, but for me, this has to be the best movie I've seen in ages - all because of JP. The story is compelling and it's hard not to empathize. Having also seen mental illness, it can be gut-wrenching at times - in the first half specially.

4.5/5 in my opinion. 5/5 for acting.
Old 5th October 2019, 21:20   #7421
BHPian

I must swim against the tide on 'Joker'. I came away quite disappointed.

Don't get me wrong. Joaquin Phoenix has done an absolutely terrific job. His physical and psychological impact as the joker is incredible. However this is where good things end and everything else is poor. The plot is wafer thin and very simplistic. There is a whole lot of building up but nothing really happens. And boy, they just keep dragging out the same concept over and over again until you start to get restless and quite frankly, bored. I was happy when it was over.

Please do not expect this to be a film that rivals the 'Dark Knight'. It isn't even in the same ballpark in terms of complexity, quality or sheer spectacle. And yes, despite Joaquin's brilliant performance, Heath Ledger stands alone.
Old 5th October 2019, 23:59   #7422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
I must swim against the tide on 'Joker'. I came away quite disappointed.

It isn't even in the same ballpark in terms of complexity, quality or sheer spectacle. And yes, despite Joaquin's brilliant performance, Heath Ledger stands alone.
True that.
I just came back from it, and the choice was War or joker on date night.
I chose joker.
I chose wrong.
I will be paying.

There's too much development, too much background, too much humanizing of the joker. So much so that one wonders how can this man become the character portrayed by Ledger, or even Nicholson. It's not possible.
And then the whammy arrives in the end, which leaves one even more confused. Not in the way like "WT..... ", but like oh,OK. Unnecessary.
Phoenix is good, but that performance, even that cannot redeem this movie. It's only for hardcore comic fans. But even as one, I came away feeling that OK, I HAD to see this in the theatre. For anyone else, it'll be a waste of money.
If you've looked forward to this for the past three months, searching for and watching or reading tidbits, then go. Else, don't.
Old 6th October 2019, 15:52   #7423
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Saw the movie 'Joker' yesterday. Its a dark & overhyped movie! Couldn't figure out why it got such fantastic reviews worldwide. Thought it was a thriller & there would be some twists & turns, but nothing of that sort happened.
Should have watched 'War' instead.
Old 6th October 2019, 16:13   #7424
Distinguished - BHPian

Joker : 4.5 / 5

Absolutely brilliant movie! This is a dark, deep movie, certainly not for all. It is a far far shift from the superhero action movies, both DC and Marvel universe movies so do not expect that kind of setup.

Loved the portrayal of the character by Phoenix and the slow transformation displayed through the movie as his confidence rises and his unnatural personality being accepted by others.

It's a pity both the director and actor have declared they don't see Joker crossing paths with the new Batman. But fingers crossed.
Old 7th October 2019, 00:29   #7425
BHPian

I was going to see the Joker next week.
Question to those who have seen it.
How would the movie turn out if Heath Ledger could've done the role instead of Phoenix?

Most Viewed