Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2020, 14:37   #7666
AZT
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

I saw ' Let it Snow ' on Netflix. It's a feel good young romance movie based in a small American Town. After watching Witcher, Altered Carbon, Lost in Space and Tiger King, this was a good change of pace.
It's on a book by John Greene who also wrote The Fault in Our Stars so if you liked that give this a shot.
Also watched Parasite on Amazon Prime, it's a dark comedy but deals with a very real issue of class warfare or rather extreme income inequality. The end is slightly optimistic and gives it a Bollywood feel. You have to be a quick reader and follow the subtitles but I'd say definitely give it a watch.
Old 17th April 2020, 17:46   #7667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Also watched Parasite on Amazon Prime, it's a dark comedy
Initially I felt like what a stupid movie, but quickly dismissed because I had to accept the different culture. Let's continue this discussion on this thread (The Foreign (non-English) Movies thread (no spoilers please)) please.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 19:12   #7668
Senior - BHPian

"Studio Ghibli" movies are now available on Netflix India. I watched some re-runs. Today it was "My Neighbor Totoro". 5/5 from me. It is about how a family moves to a village and the children befriend some mythical creatures.

"Studi Ghibli" does Japanese Animation for the younger viewers, but is equally exciting for some of the older folks. If you have children at home, please do watch some of his (hayao miyazaki) movies with them.
Old 17th April 2020, 20:54   #7669
Senior - BHPian

Some more suggestions...
1. Fracture - Fantastic plot
2. The Score - Though a little predictable, but still a good watch
3. The Next 3 Days - Based on true incident
4. Book of Eli - Watched for the sake of it
5. Double Jeopardy - Good one
6. Gone Girl - Must watch
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 14:29   #7670
BHPian

Hachi - A Dog's Tale. 4.5/5.

Saw it on Netflix (or was it prime? One of them). A wonderful true life based movie on the love and loyalty of a dog. The entire movie will feel like one continuous heart warming session and emotionally moving - more so if you are a pet (dog) owner, and I am not even a pet owner!

One particular dialogue that comes out exceedingly well in this movie that I had a hearty laughter about -

The pet dog is an Akita, a Japanese breed. Apparently it's not a people pleaser and will not run about fetching a ball you might throw around. The point is put forth by one of the actors along these lines - "This dog cannot be bought. It is Japanese. Not American!"

Last edited by Miyata : 18th April 2020 at 14:30.
Miyata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 17:28   #7671
Distinguished - BHPian

Just Mercy: 5 / 5

An absolutely brilliant movie on a true story based out of Alabama of a death row candidate that was supposedly innocent. Jamie Foxx and Michael B Jordan deliver a stellar performance along with some pretty decent acting by the rest of the crew, but they do such a great job that good acting by Brie Larson and Rob Morgan literally gets sidelined.

Although this movie timelines is set-up in 1989, it feels like the early 60s on the aspect of racism and injustice. One of the best movies I have seen during the last few months.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2020, 16:50   #7672
Distinguished - BHPian

Scent of a Woman

A story of a blind war veteran who hires a college student for a weekend as a caretaker. Watch this movie for Al Pacino's performance. A lot of swearing but an amazing performance. Chris acted well too.

Rating - 5/5 (Must Watch)
naveen.raju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2020, 17:31   #7673
Distinguished - BHPian

Extraction - starring Chris Hemsworth and Randeep Hooda.

An out an out action flick, mercenary style with lots of gun fights. It's been released on Netflix today. A one time watch, you won't get bored if you like action movies.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2020, 17:50   #7674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Scent of a Woman

A story of a blind war veteran who hires a college student for a weekend as a caretaker. Watch this movie for Al Pacino's performance. A lot of swearing but an amazing performance. Chris acted well too.

Rating - 5/5 (Must Watch)
It was a terrific performance by Al Pacino - especially when he defends Charlie in school and ofcourse when he takes the Ferrari for a spin. The dialogues were epic too.

rrsteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2020, 18:11   #7675
Senior - BHPian

Sicario 2 Day of the Soldado, this is a good action flick, the lead characters Josh Brolin and Benicio del toro and the backdrop of Mexico is the same from the 1st part, one can easily watch this as a stand-alone movie. Would rate it a good 3.5 on 5.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2020, 21:49   #7676
Senior - BHPian

Extraction on Netflix.

Gunfight, gunfight and some more gunfight. The movie is all about Chris Hemsworth. Some reviews have praised the kid. I felt he was average.

One article also spoke about Randeep Hooda being a parallel lead (don't know what that means). Although he has a much meatier role than what other bollywood male actors have managed recently, it still can't be called lead.

There is lot of action. India has often been stereotyped as poor in Hollywood productions much to our dismay. This time I guess our Bangladeshi friends will be disappointed with the way Dhaka has been showcased in this one.

Overall a decent one time watch on Netflix for the action.

Last edited by vibbs : 24th April 2020 at 21:50.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 07:12   #7677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Sicario 2 Day of the Soldado, this is a good action flick, the lead characters Josh Brolin and Benicio del toro and the backdrop of Mexico is the same from the 1st part, one can easily watch this as a stand-alone movie. Would rate it a good 3.5 on 5.

What a coincidence! I saw Sicario 2 just a couple of days ago, and last night after watching Extraction, I realised that the plot is exactly the same, and a lot more similarities in both the movies. The back drop in Sicario 2 is Mexico, while in Extraction its Dhaka.

Anyway, you wouldnt get bored of seeing Extraction for sure, but it was a just a bit of mindless of action all thru. Also, im not convinced that Dhaka as a backdrop works, I mean the movie shows the whole army of Bangladesh working with a single drug lord and blocking the entire city, well, somehow that wasnt convincing. Some good screen time for Randeep Hooda, highly unusual for Indian actors in Hollywood movies.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 11:50   #7678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

Watch it for the brilliant editing, cinematography and BGM (just at the right places). Brilliant acting as well. Although I knew it had some clever editing, I was curious to find out more on the making. Some few videos on YouTube and was amazed to see how it was filmed and also the equipment used.

Rating - 5/5 (Must watch)
What a movie, mind-blown after a long time (10/10). I don't know the technicalities but the way this movie has been shot feels like you are right in the middle of the battlefield. I regret missing this in theaters but if you have a good home-theater setup, it will make up for it a bit. Try to create a cinematic experience when watching at home to enjoy it fully.

Few other movies I watched recently -

Two popes - nicely made movie. May be I liked it because I been to Vatican and Rome just last year but I feel anyone interested in history/religion will like this move. Some amazing performances too. Highly recommended - 8/10

Ford vs Ferrari - What an amazing movie, the climax made me almost cry. Even my 12-year old daughter enjoyed it a lot. Don't miss it - 9/10

Knives out - Again, very nice movie. Good suspense mixed with quirky humor, highly recommended - 8/10

Brian Banks - Nice emotional movie about a NFL player who was wrongly sentenced, highly recommended - 8/10

John Wick Chapter 3 - I am John wick fan and this movie lives up to the reputation. I feel Chapter 2 is better though - 8/10 (biased)

Keep the recos coming.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 13:28   #7679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Extraction - starring Chris Hemsworth and Randeep Hooda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Extraction on Netflix.
Saw it on Netflix last evening. 2/5

Could surely be watched once! Hooda is very fine actor, imo. Wonder why I haven't seen more movies of his. (Also another fine Indian actor that I have seen only a few films of - Arjun Rampal).

On the 'Extraction' itself - why do they have so much bollywood songs at homes in Dhaka? I would have loved to hear local music of the place. Would have brought it better authenticity as well.

The plot itself is too pedestrian - lacks any meat. The acting itself is fine, but they really do not have much to act on but just go through the motions.
Miyata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 20:55   #7680
Distinguished - BHPian

I watched extraction. It's OK. The pace is staggered, they should not have had all those breaks between the sequences.They could have been shorter.
It's very good on another aspect that it reminded me of Man on fire, transporter, and John wick, all of which I'm watching tonight.

Last edited by mayankk : 25th April 2020 at 20:56.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed