Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2020, 12:15   #7711
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Bloodshot
Typical Vin Diesel affair.
Premise is good and could have been done with more depth.
Vin is a soldier who get nanomachines replace his blood, making him strong and super-healing. Then he goes about the business of revenge. Kind of like "A man apart" he did earlier. That was amazing. This is that one on steroids, but changed tack quite soon.
It's a mindless watch, a lockdown time movie.
Special effects are the highlight.

Rated 3.5/5
Old 19th May 2020, 14:28   #7712
Senior - BHPian

I should've posted this earlier, nevertheless, if the mods could get it done please

Watch Darkest Hour that portrays Churchill's life as he takes over the PM seat in 1940 for first few days. Though it may have exaggerated for movie, but, certainly gripping moments to stay glued in seat & understand what the man underwent. If you're into war movies, then this is not to be missed although it doesn't show anything related to war

Another fantastic movie Das Boot about a German U-Boat. Sure, you'll never be seated for its amazing picture & plot; it surely gets the viewers inside the boat & I indeed felt a bit of claustrophobia (sometimes you also wonder if that's German engineering as well). It's about the life of a crew who sail in Atlantic; what happens to them? Did they come back or not is something I leave it for you to watch. But it's an absolute must watcher if you love WW movies
Old 19th May 2020, 16:58   #7713
Senior - BHPian

Watched Go Karts last night on Netflix. If you like underdog stories and racing, then you'll enjoy it anyway.

A Australian movie about a teen finding both his true passion (go-karting) and a mentor who will teach him to drive his go-kart and live with honor.

Lesson Learnt - Don't overtake from the outside.

RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 07:05   #7714
Team-BHP Support

The Platform on Netflix. Its a documentary on trickle down economics.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 14:50   #7715
Senior - BHPian

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched the debut movie of Christopher Nolan, titled as Following. I think it was his first full feature film, very short though at about 70 minutes. This was made in 1998, so 2 years before Memento.

It looks like this movie was made with very less resources, and I read somewhere that Nolan actually shot this with a shoestring budget. I wouldnt say its a must watch movie and not really in the league of other movies from Nolan. And it can get a little confusing since there are three timelines of the lead characters playing one after the other in random fashion, a very non-linear narration. But not all that difficult to follow, and although the ending can be guessed easily, I thought the movie worked in keeping the viewer glued on till the end fairly well.

Although many people view Interstellar, Dark Knight and Inception as the best from Nolan, my personal favourites are Insomnia and the Prestige. Spectacular movies these two!
Old 22nd May 2020, 08:55   #7716
Senior - BHPian

Crown Vic, watched this last night. The movie is named after the Ford sedans that are used by the cops for their patrol duties. The plot is a bit like Training day, a rookie cop and an oldhand in the business. Not very intriguing, but not boring either. If you have seen Training Day and End of Watch, then you can call this a poor mans version of those two!
Old 22nd May 2020, 09:58   #7717
Senior - BHPian

Midnight Express is a highly rated movie & most importantly based on true event. If you don't expect logic & watch it purely based for the real events & how an impossible can be made possible, then yes, this is a movie to be watched. Personally, yes, to be watched once. If it were to be directed today, yes, it can be made more gripping & horrific things going inside the prison
Old 22nd May 2020, 14:41   #7718
Distinguished - BHPian

Extraction:

Synopsis - A black-market mercenary who has nothing to lose is hired to rescue the kidnapped son of an imprisoned international crime lord. But in the murky underworld of weapons dealers and drug traffickers, an already deadly mission approaches the impossible.

Expected a lot from this but wasn't all that great. One time watch. Loved the cinematography especially during the chase.

Rating - 3/5

Bobby Jones Stroke Of Genius

Synopsis - This biographical drama is based on the true story of revered golfer Bobby Jones (Jim Caviezel). Rising quickly from amateur to legend, Jones becomes renowned for his intense persona and wins an extraordinary number of tournaments. When it appears that Jones is having problems balancing his golfing career with the rest of his life, he consults his devoted wife, Mary (Claire Forlani), and must make the difficult decision of staying in the game or retiring.

Since I don't follow golf, I haven't heard of him. Pretty good achievement, but the movie was a drag. Should have shown something different - It's all the same throughout the movie where he meets his opponent, some amazing strokes and wins the game. The movie was long as well.

Rating - 2/5

Working Man

Synopsis - When a factory closure threatens a small Rust Belt town, one older factory worker continues going to his former job every day, despite the shutdown.

Watch it for Peter Gerety's acting - simple and sweet. It's a nice watch.

Rating - 4/5

Next in line - Capone, Hearts In Atlantis and other foreign language movies.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 11:31   #7719
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This one has been reviewed before, but it's so good that I have to drop in a recommendation again . Especially since its a free watch on Prime Video. Smart, witty & unique story line with Robert De Niro & an equally impressive Anne Hathaway.

Saw it on the weekend to lots of laughs. 5 / 5 stars .

GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 11:33   #7720
Senior - BHPian

Intern sure is a very beautiful movie.

I did manage to catch 'Knives Out' yesterday on XStream. I vaguely recall reading about this movie on this very thread. What a movie !. Loved every minute of it. Brilliant one.
jkrishnakj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 15:19   #7721
BHPian

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-a31714547a3744a687835ea19ce7e235.jpeg

Today is Memento’s 19th anniversary. It’s the forerunner of the Indian Ghajini. Worth a watch, Guy Pearce does a fantastic job.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 16:33   #7722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Watched Go Karts last night on Netflix. If you like underdog stories and racing, then you'll enjoy it anyway.

A Australian movie about a teen finding both his true passion (go-karting) and a mentor who will teach him to drive his go-kart and live with honor.

Lesson Learnt - Don't overtake from the outside.
And don't burn sunlight if you have to work :P

Thanks for the tip. Good timepass movie
Old 25th May 2020, 17:00   #7723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This one has been reviewed before, but it's so good that I have to drop in a recommendation again . Especially since its a free watch on Prime Video. Smart, witty & unique story line with Robert De Niro & an equally impressive Anne Hathaway.

Saw it on the weekend to lots of laughs. 5 / 5 stars .
Hey GTO,

Was it a coincidence, I also watched it this Saturday on prime.

Real light hearted story and very real performances.

Regards
Ritesh

Last edited by bblost : 25th May 2020 at 17:21. Reason: removed embedded video.
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 21:58   #7724
BHPian

'The Half of It' on Netflix.. a heart warming coming of age/drama/romcom kind of movie.. loved it..
Old 27th May 2020, 10:07   #7725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The Platform on Netflix. Its a documentary on trickle down economics.
I watched it after reading your post. It's different - gory and thought provoking.
The ending is open to interpretation and may I say - offers no solution.
I liked it. 3.5/5 if I've to rate it.

Last edited by ritzy : 27th May 2020 at 10:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks