Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2020, 08:54   #7756
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj.bhalla View Post
So many people saying great things about this movie 1917. May I ask where can I watch it on India? I mean on which streaming app?
It's a great movie, you can watch it on Sony Liv streaming app.
petrolHead_1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 19:54   #7757
BHPian

Any recommendations on light comedy movie? Preferably available on usual streaming sites. Thanks.
Old 28th July 2020, 10:16   #7758
BHPian

A Must watch War movie for all war movie fans - 12 Strong (2018). A 12 member US Special forces team weaves its way through Taliban infested Afganistan to support a Northern Alliance Warlord General Dustom - just after September '11. This is what legends are made of. It is a true story of the heroism of the US special forces. 5/5
Prowler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 11:13   #7759
Distinguished - BHPian

The Outpost : 3.5 / 5

Based on a seemingly true story, this movie depicts the situation of a forward military post in Afghanistan when overrun/attacked by Taliban forces. Although the cast boasts of Orlando Bloom, he has a very minor role to play, the focus stays on a bunch of soldiers who do a decent job of their roles.

The movie seems let down by its editing, with too many characters coming in and out. But still a good watch (Rottentomatoes rating of 93%).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
A Must watch War movie for all war movie fans - 12 Strong (2018).
This is what legends are made of. It is a true story of the heroism of the US special forces. 5/5
I take these American "heroes" movies with a pinch of salt, especially when it deals with US soldiers fighting out and killing natives (even if some of them are terrorists) in other countries. I prefer just to admire them as a movie.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 11:54   #7760
BHPian

The Lodge
Runtime - 1 hr 49 min

Streaming Platform - Amazon Prime

Genre - Slow Burn / Horror / Trauma

Slow paced movie set in a lodge during extreme winters (This sets the premise of gloominess all around).It will leave you with extreme emotions towards the characters. Typical tropes of jump scares are not used however there is a continuous sense of something sinister going on.

Recommendation - Must watch however do follow it up with some lighthearted content or a nice evening with near and dear ones. (If you have watched "Before devil knows you are dead", you know what i mean)
Uncut Gems
Runtime - 2 hr 15 min

Streaming Platform - Netflix

Genre - Crime / Thriller

Story of a gambler / jeweler trying to settle debts while racing against time. Hard to write much without giving up major details. Adam Sandler gives a brilliant performance and keeps you engaged and invested enough to root for him. There are lots of profanities thrown in for good measure so its best to leave the kids out.

Recommendation - Must watch
Revenge
Runtime - 1 hr 48 min

Genre - Thriller

A vacation gone wrong turns in to survival story. Nudity / profanities / blood / gore makes it unsuitable to be watched with kids. However the cat and mouse chase keeps the adrenaline pumping and keeps you as a viewer on the edge of the seat.

Recommendation: Must Watch
EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Is this something like "I spit on your grave"?
I have not seen the movie but going by the google search it does appear to be similar in nature.

Last edited by roamer012 : 28th July 2020 at 12:20.
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 12:15   #7761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
[
Revenge
Runtime - 1 hr 48 min

Genre - Thriller

A vacation gone wrong turns in to survival story. Nudity / profanities / blood / gore makes it unsuitable to be watched with kids. However the cat and mouse chase keeps the adrenaline pumping and keeps you as a viewer on the edge of the seat.

Recommendation: Must Watch
Is this something like "I spit on your grave"?
Old 28th July 2020, 17:28   #7762
Senior - BHPian

The Art of Racing in the Rain

A wise and witty golden retriever narrates this heartwarming tale chronicling the bond between a dog and a race car driver.

RM Motorsports is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 17:58   #7763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post

A wise and witty golden retriever narrates this heartwarming tale chronicling the bond between a dog and a race car driver.
Yeah, Saw this on my last international flight during 'unlocked' times. Very moving indeed. I liked the way filmmaker has used the Dog as the narrator. Loved the last scene where the Dog takes a lap on a track - nearly choked. Highly recommended.

Last edited by Eddy : 3rd August 2020 at 00:29. Reason: Quoting a video hampers readability
Old 2nd August 2020, 19:48   #7764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post

It's available on Disney Hotstar and will also be on Star Movies on 23rd August. Although, I haven't seen it as yet.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 20:15   #7765
Senior - BHPian

From the recent watch of mine selecting some of highly recommended watching ones...

A Time to Kill - Fantastic movie, seems to be based on true events
Signs - Amazing thriller from Night Shyamlan with slight funny ending
Wall Street - Very good one
Dead Poets Society - Very true about education system
The Lincoln Lawyer - Very awesome ending
The Bodyguard - Reminded me of Kaashmeeram Malayalam movie
Kramer Vs Kramer - Good one to watch
In the Line of Fire - Watched for Clint Eastwood
Looper - Screenplay was bad despite the SciFi was good
The Intern - Absolutely must watch
Seven Years in Tibet - Not to miss even if you hate Brad Pitt
Sully - Tom Hanks at best based on true story
Up in the Air - George Clooney, awesome movie with not much of storyline
Arrival - Read about Sapir Wohrf hypothesis before watching this movie

Last edited by aargee : 2nd August 2020 at 20:19.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 08:08   #7766
Distinguished - BHPian

Caught up with some old movies last weekend.

Finder's Fee

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-mv5bmtyyoti0ndu4ml5bml5banbnxkftztcwmzgwmtuymq._v1_.jpg

Synopsis - This crime drama by director Jeff Probst follows Tepper (Erik Palladino), a young man who discovers a wallet on the street. After Tepper contacts the wallet's owner, Avery Phillips (James Earl Jones), he realizes that it has a winning lottery ticket inside worth millions. Tepper's moral dilemma gets more complicated when his poker-playing crew, including Quigley (Ryan Reynolds) and Fishman (Matthew Lillard), arrive for their regular game, which involves betting with lottery tickets.

Everything happens in a single room but doesn't bore you. James Earl was pretty and was a pretty good movie (although there's been many similar thrillers recently).

Rating - 4.5/5

Three Fugitives

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-a1.jpg

Synopsis - Lucas visits a bank after being released from jail for 14 armed bank robberies. He gets entangled in a robbery planned by Perry, who is in desperate need of money for his daughter's medical treatment.

Thoroughly enjoyed this one. Classic comedy and Martin Short was brilliant as always.

Rating - 5/5

Last edited by naveen.raju : 3rd August 2020 at 08:09.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 15:42   #7767
AZT
BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Saw 'The Zoya Factor' on Netflix, starring our very own DQ and Sonam Kapoor. Light hearted movie with great performances - Would definitely recommend.

Another movie 'The half of it', it's about young love and based in a small US town. The dialogues alone make this worth a watch. Trailer below

AZT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 16:40   #7768
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post

Another movie 'The half of it', it's about young love and based in a small US town. The dialogues alone make this worth a watch. Trailer below
Thanks for sharing this - seems to be a beautiful movie (or a very well done trailer). Care to provide a feedback?

Or was the dialogues comment after seeing the movie?
Old 3rd August 2020, 16:45   #7769
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Thanks for sharing this - seems to be a beautiful movie (or a very well done trailer). Care to provide a feedback?

Or was the dialogues comment after seeing the movie?
I've seen the movie. Posted the trailer because it's very well made and it's this that got me to watch the movie. It's a good movie and the best dialogues aren't even in the trailer.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 16:41   #7770
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched two total masala action revenge based films.
I am wrath: John Travolta's wife is killed, and he turns out to be an elite killer who had retired. Resumes duties and does stuff. Has a friend from his past who helps. Non stop dhamaal this movie is. I like Travolta, so I enjoyed it. Heck, I liked battlefield earth, so I'm biased, and I'll rate this 3.5/5

Peppermint: I only turned this on for Jennifer garner, and I was not disappointed. She's back to her Alias days in this one. Predictable story, family is killed, and she goes from being homely housewife to Rambo in the park by vanishing and training for 5 years. Nice taut presentation.
4/5

However, the best film of this genre is still Vin Diesel's Man Apart. It's old but can be watched today too.

Last edited by mayankk : 5th August 2020 at 17:10.
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed