Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2020, 08:59   #7786
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Black Panther actor Chadwick Boseman dies at 43. He had been battling colon cancer since 2016.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-20200829_085750.jpg

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-20200829_085748.jpg

https://twitter.com/chadwickboseman/...463199747?s=19
Venkatesh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 10:26   #7787
Senior - BHPian

He was a real fine actor and will be missed :(
Old 29th August 2020, 19:12   #7788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
Creed
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/creed_2015/
Finally one in the Rocky franchise that's in the spirit of the first. And they should stop here.
Another 4/5.
Well, they aren't stopping!

Saw Creed2 last week.

Found it OK - but Rocky's soul is missing - in the fight as well as the film. And, there is a lot of family drama - only Rocky + Adrian combo was different.

Face off between Ivan Drago and Rocky in the ring (as trainers) was pretty lame.

If you are a fan of Sly, you can sit through. Would rate it 3/5.

Suggestion - If you haven't watched Rocky IV, please watch Creed2 first and then watch IV. The scenes where Rocky trains in Russia are memorable...

PS - Yo Paulie! (Burt Young) Miss your wise cracks and Mighty Mick's (Burgess Meredith) presence - can't really replace such characters.
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 21:46   #7789
Distinguished - BHPian

Coma (French, English dubbed)

Very interesting concept, which initially feels like "oh come on!! ", but becomes more sensible by the end (as much sense as is possible after assuming that such a world is possible) .

Essentially, people who are in a coma come to inhabit a matrix like dream world, only all of them are together. This was the confusing part, but it became clear a little later. I liked the way this was done, though it stretches thin before pulling back together again.

If for nothing, just watch this for the visuals. They're a Michelin star mix of those from inception and doctor strange.

4/5

Last edited by mayankk : 29th August 2020 at 21:48.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 22:42   #7790
Distinguished - BHPian

R.I.P Chadwick Boseman, an underused, versatile actor who came into the spotlight with Black Panther.

He seemed to be visibly thin from his Black Panter days, but most couldn't attribute it to the fact that he had colon cancer as he kept it a well hidden secret until his last moments.

Diagnosed in 2016 or so, I guess he had tremendous strength to go on without letting most know about it. Twenty-twenty seems to be a very unfortunate year for almost anyone on earth

Last edited by dark.knight : 29th August 2020 at 23:09.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 10:05   #7791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Superb Spanish whodunnit, complimented by taut direction, pacy script, fantastic all-round performances and some awesome, breathtaking cinematographic shots.

If you love a good suspense thriller, just watch this. Highly recommended.

Just saw Marshland last night and I couldnt agree more to what you have stated! This is one of those slow paced mystery thrillers, but yet very intriguing. And the cinematography was just fantastic, each frame was captured in an artistic way! Hollywood seems to have stopped making such movies for a long time now!

Also managed to see another movie, A Most Violent Year, starring Oscar Isaac and Jessica Chastain. Its a decent watch, and in fact there is almost no violence in the whole movie,so this is no action or a mobster movie, but rather about a business man wanting to get a deal done in the 70s and 80s business environment. Oscar Isaac manages to bring depth to his role, wonder why he is not seen in more movies though. And Jessica Chastain as usual brings her own to the character. So, very slow, but is surely one of the better movies that I have seen recently.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 12:15   #7792
Distinguished - BHPian

Better late than never.
In lockdown, there's a lot of fishing for movies to watch, and most are seen pause-play-pause.
However, this is one that makes you sit down and finish in one go. Everyone knows about the story , and the film transports you to the front line quite well.
I know it's very clever editing, but except for one instance, you'll not be able to figure a break in the shot.
In one word, the movie is grand. The lead are unknowns, with occasional cameos thrown in by big shots, like Mark strong, Benedict Cumberbatch, Collin firth etc.
In terms of ww1, it brings out the rate of attrition very graphically.
Streaming on Sony.

5/5
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 12:53   #7793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Just saw Marshland last night and I couldnt agree more to what you have stated
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Where to find English version? All I can find is spanish version without subtitles. Thanks.
Old 30th August 2020, 17:31   #7794
BHPian

I saw Red Sparrow (2018) a while back. Liked it, but some of the redditers discussed about Atomic Blonde (2018).

*** Got to give a little spoiler (Not related to Story) to understand why to watch the movie. ***

You see a movie fight sequence, you can easily figure out is it a woman or a man in fight. When a woman fights the belligerence or even the fighting method is often toned down and just restricted to manipulation. But Can't there be a physical aggression in fight sequence when women is involved? After-all, all Cinematic stunts are are from matrix world (Because they get professional treatment Dupes, CGI, Camera, Make-up and lot of other professional methods) so anything is possible for any Sex.

This is where Atomic Blonde is different. Fight sequence look more uni-sex than any movie I have watched so far. Hats-off to Charlize Theron and the team.

NOTE: I am not a fan of fight sequences.
Old 31st August 2020, 07:00   #7795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Where to find English version? All I can find is spanish version without subtitles. Thanks.

I saw this on fshare in Spanish with English sub titles. Would not recommend an English dubbed version even if there was one, would take away the authenticity.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 10:47   #7796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
You should watch Predestination, if you haven't already.
I was trying to explain it to my wife yesterday, and accidentally pulled my brains out of my armpit!
Yesterday seemed to be a perfect setting to watch this - Sunday Lockdown, alone in the house, dark thunder clouds and lightning flashes....

Oh man! What a story line - when the credits roll at the end of time, I read that the movie is based on a short story about zombies - but zombie, this isn't.

Time travel logic itself convoluted - but Predestination takes it to another level.

No wonder, not many people have expressed what they saw - it is a work of a mad genius

Can't rate it - we need a new scale of measurement....

Suggest to watch it alone and at one go - it runs for about an hour and fifty minutes.

Last edited by vrprabhu : 31st August 2020 at 10:50.
vrprabhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 14:28   #7797
BHPian

FTF, I can find the english subtitles with YIFY. Planning to watch marshland in some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Would not recommend an English dubbed version even if there was one, would take away the authenticity.

But Thought would give an explanation. I understand your concern but Don't you think something is better than nothing?
Without subtitles I would have never understood most of Kurasowa's master pieces like seventh samurai or Rashoman, Some of the finest iranian movies like Separation, Life is beautiful and even Lot of Malayalam movies like Kumbalangi nights. Forget about foreign languages even harmless comedy movies like 50 first dates require you to know the regional dialects to understand the comedy. So we can just work with what we have and get better out it, IMHO.
Old 31st August 2020, 16:22   #7798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsumoto View Post
FTF, I can find the english subtitles with YIFY. Planning to watch marshland in some time.

But Thought would give an explanation. I understand your concern but Don't you think something is better than nothing?

Without subtitles I would have never understood most of Kurasowa's master pieces like seventh samurai or Rashoman, Some of the finest iranian movies like Separation, Life is beautiful and even Lot of Malayalam movies like Kumbalangi nights. Forget about foreign languages even harmless comedy movies like 50 first dates require you to know the regional dialects to understand the comedy. So we can just work with what we have and get better out it, IMHO.
I think you misunderstood what I said. I had mentioned that we should watch the native language version with English subtitles. Was only suggesting to avoid English voice over or the dubbed version since most of the times the voice does not match the dialogue delivery.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th September 2020 at 21:01. Reason: Removing unwanted spaces.
motorworks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 18:31   #7799
Senior - BHPian

James Bond No Time To Die theatrical release trailer. In theatres this November.
Aston Martin DB5 and Land Rover Defender in action

Venkatesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 23:14   #7800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Aston Martin DB5 and Land Rover Defender in action
You missed the Aston Martin Valhalla's movie debut at 0:22
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-aston-martin-valhalla.jpg
P242 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks