Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2021, 22:43   #8191
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

After cars, ships have been a topic of great interest for me, particularly ocean liners of the late 19th and 20th century. Hence the following picks.

The Finest Hours (2016):
Great Movie, based on the splitting of the tanker SS Pendleton in terrible weather conditions, and the brilliant rescue operation that followed.
Starring Chris Pine, Casey Affleck, Eric Bana among others.
Available to watch on Disney+

In the Heart of the Sea (2015):
A really underrated movie, about the sinking of the whaling ship Essex, which was the basis for the popular novel Moby Dick.
Starring Chris Hemsworth, Cillian Murphy, Tom Holland among others.
Available to watch on Netflix in select locations (Australia being one). Gotta use VPN.
CapKoura is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 00:14   #8192
BHPian

[quote=locusjag;5097073]Here's an unusual choice - The Man from Earth

I had this movie with me for nearly a decade, but never bothered to watch it.
I had no clue what the movie plot was and like a few Bhpians said here, went for it with searching about reviews.

And Oh Boy! What a movie it is. Loved it.
Should have watched it a lot lot sooner.
Still pondering over the script and the way it is written.
So Excellent.
Flying Shadow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 10:09   #8193
BHPian

Watched "The Man from Earth" and liked it. Need to re-watch it again though.

On the same lines, there is a movie called "12 Angry Men" which was released in late 1950s. It is also set in a room and the whole movie is about reaching a final decision whether the accused is guilty or not.

Watch it on YouTube here :-

Hindi remake of the same is also available by the name "Ek Ruka hua faisla"

YouTube : -

I would highly recommend giving this a chance. You will love it.
Dhillon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 10:25   #8194
Senior - BHPian

12 Angry Men is an amazing watch.

The way the script goes back and forth between the actors and all the little twists and turns that happen is just amazing to behold
deathwalkr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 14:00   #8195
BHPian

The YouTube link for "12 angry men" does not seem to be the Sidney Lumet version. Please watch the Sidney Lumet version starring Henry Fonda and other. It is in the top 10 in IMDB's top 100 movies of all time. This is one of best of all time movies for me. Actually, the Hindi version "Ek Ruka hua Faisla" is also quite decent.

If you like movies which are dialogue oriented (like this and "The Man from Earth"), please give the following a try:
- "Before" trilogy (Before Sunrise, Before Sunset and Before Midnight)
- My dinner with Andre (I still have to watch this)
- Melvin goes to dinner
- Circle
pnredkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 06:06   #8196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Download started.
Watched it over the weekend. Was underwhelmed. It's a Jason Statham movie but somewhere down, it was lacking that charisma. It's neither his nor Guy Ritchie's type. Will give a 3/5 rating.
Old 28th July 2021, 11:31   #8197
BHPian

Thank you for the recommendations. Will also watch the Sidney Lument's version.
Old 28th July 2021, 12:26   #8198
Distinguished - BHPian

I know I'm a johnny-come-lately in reviewing these blockbuster cum cult classics, but still, I felt like sharing my impressions -

1) Mad Max - Feels odd to see an oh-so-young Mel Gibson in his debut movie from decades ago. The shoestring budget of the movie is apparent at times, but doesn't distract you from the movie. The movie itself follows rule #1 of storytelling - Show, don't tell. You're shown a dystopian world and you keep trying to figure out what's gone wrong in this imagined world of theirs. Initially, you find it very odd that the villains act over the top in the movie (especially when the nightrider launches his monologue at the start of the movie - "I'm the nightrider. I'm a suicide machine. I'm a rocker, a roller and an out-of-controller").

2) Mad Max 2: The road warrior - This is a rare sequel that beats its first instalment by leaps and bounds, keeping in mind that the first is itself pretty damned good. The hero acts as a selfless man of honor who keeps his word, and he has a heart in a heartless world that has been torn apart by strife. The visuals from the desert in this movie are iconic and were mimicked by Dr.Dre and Tupac in their own iconic music video "California Love". An interesting note about this and the previous movie; George Miller shot the movies clips entirely in sequence, scene by scene. This is seldom, if ever, practised in movie-making.

3) Mad Max: Fury Road - Director George Miller wanted to keep the hero young, decades later, and so Mel Gibson wouldn't make a comeback as the protagonist in this 2015 movie. Tom Hardy is instead a worthy candidate to fill the shoes of Max Rockatansky. The movie starts off with Tom Hardy's Max driving the very same V8 interceptor that Mel Gibson's Max drove in Mad Max 2. The entire movie was first sketched by a visual artist, approved by Miller and then the cars were engineered and visuals were shot in far-flung deserts so that the envisioned sketches would be brought to life. And the outcome is just mindblowing! You have a sheer mastery of the storytelling craft on display here, with sublime acting by Tom Hardy and Charlize Therone in a movie that's bereft of many dialogues. Just one word to describe this instalment - "wow!".

The only reason I hadn't watched the first 2 movies in this franchise until now is that they weren't available on streaming sites. Netflix India have made the 3 movies available now in mid-2021 and I'm super glad for it. I can totally see why and how this outlier of a quintessentially Australian franchise has a worldwide cult-following even today. I'm totally awaiting its further sequels down the line.

Last edited by locusjag : 28th July 2021 at 12:28.
Old 28th July 2021, 15:21   #8199
BHPian

Notting Hill
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notting_Hill_(film)

Watched this Julia Roberts starred Romcom and I must say it left me with smiles.

The plot is about a love budding between a Hollywood Star ( Julia ) and a smalltime Travel Bookshop Owner (Hugh Grant) ,which I found quite amusing and entertaining ( And it is not an exaggeration if I'd say I have fantasized about this ) .

Yes, the plot is quite unrealistic and the writing of the love track is not particularly strong , but it fulfills the definition of movies- Selling Dreams !

I'd give it a 7/10.
Watch it for the light hearted tone of the movie !

Last edited by poised2drive : 28th July 2021 at 15:23.
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 01:12   #8200
BHPian

Jungle Cruise.
This movie has a certain charm. Reminded me of a time when I uesd to watch movies like Indiana Jones & mummy (only the first one) with a wide open mouth and excitement. My only gripe with this movie is the lack of Chemistry between Blunt and Johnson. Individually their performances were not so bad.
My take, 3.5 out of 5 stars.
If you love old simple adventure movies you are going to enjoy this one for sure. You can watch this movie on Disney Plus with an additional payment.
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-jungle-cruise.jpeg  

PJ1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 09:23   #8201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1987 View Post
Jungle Cruise.
This movie has a certain charm. Reminded me of a time when I uesd to watch movies like Indiana Jones & mummy (only the first one) with a wide open mouth and excitement.
I really like Indiana Jones and Mummy type adventure movies. Looking forward to Jungle Cruise . I don't find this movie in Disney Hotstar. Did you mean Hotstar or Disney+?
Old 1st August 2021, 10:18   #8202
Senior - BHPian

Finally caught up with FF9

0/5 for me. The worst movie of this series.

I have enjoyed the reboot (if we can say that) starting from the fourth one (as the first three were very different) and have loved all of them as there's enough excitement, thrills and over the top action that is bang for buck. Each of those movies had some new action sequences that will stay with you for sometime (like the Rio street sequence in 5 with a massive piggybank hooked to two cars or the Lykan jumping across three towers in 7!)

With 9, I feel, finally they have run out of ideas. It turned out to be quite boring for me. John Cena is no Jason Stratham or Dwayne Johnson as far as Charisma is concerned and was one big misfit in the movie. Maybe he is a big name in US so that's why was casted but he can't act and was very poor choice. Charlize Theron is totally wasted, so are the other dozen stars that are there in the movie. There's no sense in what was going on, although that's not a requirement for these kind of movies, but still some coherency is still needed. In the end, it felt like a cheap parody of this series actually.

Its a crime to actually ask people to pay to watch this crap.
joslicx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 11:38   #8203
Senior - BHPian

Watched FF9 last night and it was a very disappointing movie.

The car chases & stunts seems to be too much of CG animation. All the action felt very artificial. I feel FF series is losing its charm. Where it originally began with street racing, now its more of street destruction. Still my all time favorite is Tokyo Drift.

Its total CARnage !!

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 1st August 2021 at 11:41.
RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 12:07   #8204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
I really like Indiana Jones and Mummy type adventure movies. Looking forward to Jungle Cruise . I don't find this movie in Disney Hotstar. Did you mean Hotstar or Disney+?
I don't think it is available in Hotstar. You need a Disney Plus account to watch the movie.
Old 1st August 2021, 12:15   #8205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
It will release later in India on Disney Hotstar.

F9-
I went with zero expectation of a good story and good acting. And I got exactly that. Jokes were cliched, action was nothing we haven't seen before. There were few enjoyable scenes but without Paul Walker, Rock and even Statham it just doesn't feel the kind of movie anyone will like.

And, John Cena can't act to save his life. Should have given more screen time to Charlize.
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed