Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2022, 10:21   #8791
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I feel there's deleted scenes / script that involved him & Michael Shannon that got removed out of the movie. We'll never know.
Most likely a favour returned for Brad Pitt doing a blink and you miss it cameo in deadpool
Old 9th October 2022, 12:38   #8792
Distinguished - BHPian

Blood red sky, streaming on Netflix

This is a Netflix original, shot in some European language but is available in English.

A civilian flight lands, is surrounded by military on the tarmac and a little boy jumps out of it. It seems like the pilot is holding all passengers hostage. Or is this entire premise untrue?

My verdict: Brilliant. The twist in the tale was well packaged.

The narrative did sag a bit in the middle, but the suspense and the sense of impending doom for the characters you care for keep you engrossed throughout.

This is a 4/5 in my books, do watch.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 15:15   #8793
Distinguished - BHPian

Hellraiser: 3.5 / 5

The Hellraiser franchise series of the 80s have had its own avid followers with none of the follow-up movies ever reaching the greatness of the original 1987 movie. However, the new adaptation of the 1986 novel is extremely refreshing and the script holds its plot extremely well.

The movie at times drags a bit with the next steps/actions pretty clear while the actors still take time to play it out while the audience realizes what's coming next much faster. But the movie is a worthwhile watch for sure with an interesting set of twists & turns.

ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 00:11   #8794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Hellraiser franchise series of the 80s have had its own avid followers with none of the follow-up movies ever reaching the greatness of the original 1987 movie.
I thought the following year's Hellbound was a decent follow-up to the original, with Dr Channard a worthy follow-up character to take the franchise forward. But from part 3 onwards the whole series went downhill, which explains the five straight-to-video sequels which came in the 2000s.

Quote:
However, the new adaptation of the 1986 novel is extremely refreshing and the script holds its plot extremely well.
Thanks for the heads-up. With the main Cenobite character now getting a gender change, I wasn't so sure how this would pan out. But now, I shall catch up with this over the next weekend.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 10th October 2022 at 00:20.
Old 11th October 2022, 08:42   #8795
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Prey - 4.5/5
Quote:
Prey : 4 / 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Awesome. Worthy of being a predator movie at last. Probably the best after the original Predator by Arnold.
I don't like movies set in a historic era, I don't like animal / jungle movies and I don't like sci-fi. Yet, I loved Prey . Thanks for the recommendations. Naru & Taabe were exceptional, while the camera work + action scenes are deadly. Easily deserves a rating of 4 / 5 stars.

Highly recommended movie, streaming on HotStar.

Some scenes are worth watching again:

GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 15:09   #8796
BHPian

Calibre (2018) - Netflix - 4/5

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-calibre_.jpg

Came across this interesting movie, while I was scrolling through. Started watching without any expectations and without looking online for reviews. Very nicely done movie, I like the idea that one tiny not wanted mistake can lead out to so much of unwanted events in your life

The move depicts how your mind works and your reactions based on the situation. You will get hooked to know what's now gonna happen next.

The movie is a gripping thriller, shot at a single location with low budget and lesser known actors. It focus on cinematic storytelling, than fancy action sequences. There are no happy ending or cinematic sacrifices & heroics. This move got me thinking for some time about many 'what if' scenarios after the ending.

Worth a watch for slow paced thriller/drama movie lovers.
Asish_VK is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 11:29   #8797
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumblebore (Prime)

The edited title says it all. What a drag of a movie it was. Watched it over three nights and both my wife and i were like "huh, is that all?" at the end of it.

Love Madds Mikkelsen's acting but sorely missed Depp in this.

2/5
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 05:44   #8798
Distinguished - BHPian

Black Adam

Save your money, more important, save your time, avoid!

An attempt to fit Dwayne Johnson in to a superhero movie, doesn't even manage to fit his oversized shoulders into the costume! Forced dialog, characters that take themselves too seriously while delivering lines so cliched, they must be satire. Some suspension of disbelief is necessary in an action/superhero movie, but this was just a series of over-the top sequences stitched together. Painful to watch Pierce Brosnan in a role like this. Wonder if he needed the money, or again this was a desperate attempt to get into a superhero role.

(Had to login and post, hopefully save people time and money.)
am1m is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 12:37   #8799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Black Adam

Sigh. Was hoping this'll be good. Rock and Superhero seemed like a match made in heaven. Too bad.
Old 25th October 2022, 16:41   #8800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post

Sigh. Was hoping this'll be good. Rock and Superhero seemed like a match made in heaven. Too bad.
Go for it. Who knows, maybe you will like it
Old 25th October 2022, 16:49   #8801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Black Adam

(Had to login and post, hopefully save people time and money.)
Also it completely messes the continuity in DCEU. The new characters (you know what I mean) seem to have been around for many years with their own team and support staff, yet when Batman was putting together a team of super powered individuals, he did not consider them?

Just watch it for the super hero genre fact. Otherwise not much going for it in my opinion.
Old 27th October 2022, 13:37   #8802
Senior - BHPian

The Possession of Hannah Grace (2018)

I watched The Possession of Hannah Grace (2018) recently, this was to experience iMAX E and DTS sound track on the movie that 'BRAVIA CORE' app provides with the pureStream (they claiming it to be lossless 4k streaming).

It has few eerie moments that one may enjoy and that's about it, not a very strong storyline around. However, a good attempt to provide a few dreaded moves and moments on a quick watch. I'd rate it at 2.5/5. Looking forward to watch few more movies from this new platform that comes with new Sony TVs these days.
Old 27th October 2022, 13:56   #8803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post

Weak storyline, weaker character writing and too many plot holes.

But brilliant VFX and Action Sequences !

Its a mindless one time watch !

I could say I just went for the mid-credit scene ! #DawnofHope
Old 28th October 2022, 12:13   #8804
Distinguished - BHPian

Operation Mincemeat : 3.5 / 5

Excellent spy-game thriller on the deception game played by England during WW2. This is a true story based on what happened before the Allies decided to hit Europe via Sicily, Italy in 1943 (a year before the much famed D-day at Normandy). The story focuses on the deception game and very less on the war efforts so it's a more mellowed setup as compared to a normal WW2 movie. The excellent Colin Firth shines through as usual.

P.s. Ironically while the trailer spots a Netflix icon, the movie is on Prime.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 13:03   #8805
BHPian

Movie: Prey

Rating: 2/5

Where: Hotstar

What I liked:

Typical predator movie. Great action.

What I absolutely hated:

Amber plays a "girl can be a hunter too" whiny adolescent. It was cliched and weak.

The accents of Amber and Dakota beaver were modern American amongst a village of native Americans. It was so off putting I switched the audio to Hindi after 20 mins.

Overall I liked the predator stuff and the gun connection they created to connect with the 2nd Predator movie. But I didnt understand why an alien which can travel planets in spaceships uses arrows. The only explanation I could get myself is that it's usually one predator who goes rogue (going by the second part) and it borrows violent tech from existing human armoury.

Haven't seen Predators (3rd) so cannot judge if this one's worse or the other. Would still rate the first 2 highest. This one's a very distant third.

Movie: Don't look up

Rating : 4/5

Where : Netflix

Its a social satire on present media and politics. Drags a bit at the start. But the message is clear, we are headed towards destruction. The performances are top notch. Highly recommended!

Last edited by 400notout : 28th October 2022 at 13:09.
400notout is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks