Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2009, 17:20   #871
BHPian

I saw the following this weekend

1) The Killing Room (2009)
A psychological experiment on what people do under extreme situations. I would rate it 3/5 for the plot, but it wasn't made that well
2) Long Weekend (2008)
A couple goes on a stranded beach and then things go out of control. With the great start, possibilities were great, but somewhere the movie ends up as a joke
2.5/5
3) The Proposal (2009)
Sandra Bullock a high flying VP in some company forces her secretary Ryan Reynolds to marry her so that she gets out of an expiring US visa. I liked the movie. My rating 3.25/5

Also saw Men in Black (1997) and Men in Black II (2002) and now watching Charlie Wilson's War (2007) !

Last edited by jassi : 16th August 2009 at 17:30.
Old 17th August 2009, 16:10   #872
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched the following movies last week :-

Flatliners--Starring Kevin Bacon, Julia Roberts and Kiefer Sutherland. It's a story of medic students trying to experiment of stopping the heart for a minute and see what lies beyond life and come back to life after that crucial minute.

I found the movie boring if even the concept was unique. Probably good for a one time watch

2/5

The Thing--Starring Kurt Russels

A group of expeditioners in Anatartica come across a "thing" that likes to take shape of human forms ( imiations) and this creates a rift between the bunch of expeditioners. A nice thriller but the special effects werent too great. Also, not to be watched with family as there is a lot of blood and gore scenes in the movie. Infact, my mom got up and headed into her room muttering : what kind of crap you see, no wonder these days you are developing a short temper and lot of agression

3/5

Amistad--Starring Djimon Hinsou, Morgan Freeman, Matthew Macnoughtey and Sir Anothony Hopkins

Story set in 18th century when africans are brought to western country as slaves. How this bunch of slaves are captured and brought to America and how a group of good people fight for their freedom. Superb movie and great acting by almost all the cast. Must watch

4/5
Old 17th August 2009, 16:24   #873
Senior - BHPian

Saw the following over the weekend:

Occupation 101: A documentary that tells the plight of Palestinians under Isreali occupation. Its a bit of an eye opener if the witnesses in the documentary are to be believed. Hollywood has been dishing out far too many movies about the holocaust and one sided views of the Israel Palestine conflict. This documentary brings to light certain other facts, like how Palestinians are denied basic human rights and how US has been and still is, using its veto power in UN to give Israel a free hand.

I Love You, Man: Story of a guy about to get married who realises that he doesnt have anyone to be the Best Man at his wedding because he doesnt have any guy friends. So he goes on a hunt for a friend. After some funny failed attempts, he meets a guy and they both hit it off. They hit it off so well that his fiance gets uncomfortable!!

Crank: High Voltage: The crappiest movie i have seen in recent times! Sheer waste of time.
Old 17th August 2009, 16:31   #874
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

The Thing--Starring Kurt Russels

A group of expeditioners in Anatartica come across a "thing" that likes to take shape of human forms ( imiations) and this creates a rift between the bunch of expeditioners. A nice thriller but the special effects werent too great. Also, not to be watched with family as there is a lot of blood and gore scenes in the movie. Infact, my mom got up and headed into her room muttering : what kind of crap you see, no wonder these days you are developing a short temper and lot of agression

3/5
If you liked The Thing (1982)
You must check out They Live (1988) by the same director.

Awesome movie. It was way ahead of its time. Will be a little difficult finding it.
Old 17th August 2009, 16:51   #875
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Occupation 101: A documentary that tells the plight of Palestinians under Isreali occupation. Its a bit of an eye opener if the witnesses in the documentary are to be believed. Hollywood has been dishing out far too many movies about the holocaust and one sided views of the Israel Palestine conflict. This documentary brings to light certain other facts, like how Palestinians are denied basic human rights and how US has been and still is, using its veto power in UN to give Israel a free hand.
Salt of this Sea is another palestinian movie which will give you an unbiased view of life in Palestine. It is about a young palestinian woman born in America but seeks to find her identity and roots in palestine. She finds the going tough and seeks alternatives in search of freedom in her own motherland.

A good watch
Old 17th August 2009, 16:53   #876
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
You must check out They Live (1988) by the same director.

Awesome movie. It was way ahead of its time. Will be a little difficult finding it.
Found it on Bigflix and added it to my queue
Old 17th August 2009, 17:10   #877
Senior - BHPian

saw the movie public enemies. I must say i liked the movie a lot (maybe because im biased towards johhnys movies)
id rate it 3/5
waiting patiently for inglorious basterds(yes its spelled this way)
Old 17th August 2009, 17:16   #878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Salt of this Sea is another palestinian movie which will give you an unbiased view of life in Palestine. It is about a young palestinian woman born in America but seeks to find her identity and roots in palestine. She finds the going tough and seeks alternatives in search of freedom in her own motherland.

A good watch
Ok, will check it out. It is rare that we get to see the other side of the story.

Have you seen Majid Majidi's movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
waiting patiently for inglorious basterds(yes its spelled this way)
You have to be VERRRRY patient. I have decided that am not going to watch it in theater here. They will mindlessly censor the movie. I remember watching Sweeny Todd in PVR. The scenes where Sweeny kills his victims were all censored!!
Old 17th August 2009, 17:24   #879
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you seen Majid Majidi's movies?
Nope! Anyone in particular?
Old 17th August 2009, 17:34   #880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Nope! Anyone in particular?
You can start with Children of Heaven. This is the movie that started the Pure Cinema thread.
Baran from the same director is also another masterpiece.
Old 17th August 2009, 19:26   #881
BHPian

I saw Donnie Brasco (1997) and Dog Day Afternoon (1975) yesterday night. And i must say both are excellent movies!
I would rate them both 4/5
Old 17th August 2009, 21:00   #882
BHPian

Watched Inglorious Basterds yesterday. Its brilliant & entertaining , but I dont think it is QT's best film yet.

Also watched Taking of Pelham 123. My Verdict : Not worth paying multiplex rates. Watch it if its shown in TV.

Last edited by artofzen : 17th August 2009 at 21:02.
Old 17th August 2009, 22:02   #883
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
I saw Donnie Brasco (1997) and Dog Day Afternoon (1975) yesterday night. And i must say both are excellent movies!
I would rate them both 4/5
I agree both are just awesome.

In Donnie, Depp steals the show and in Dog Day, Al is the guru of the movie. Infact, i loved Al's character in Dog day a lot, confused, innocent and totally endearing
Old 17th August 2009, 23:27   #884
Senior - BHPian

I watched a Daniel craig movie called Layer Cake.
would give it 3 * and you can watch it once. Nice one with many twists involved in it. About drugs and stuff
Old 18th August 2009, 08:57   #885
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can start with Children of Heaven. This is the movie that started the Pure Cinema thread.
Baran from the same director is also another masterpiece.
Yes ofcourse! Who can forget Children of Heaven. But seriously, I never knew it was Majidi's film

Have got posession of Fellini's 8 1/2. Watched it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks