Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2023, 18:02   #8911
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Oscars are not anymore about just picking the best movies of the year. Now you have to tick lots of check boxes.

Check the new rules: https://www.vox.com/culture/2020/9/9...sity-inclusion
Heh.. Titanic, Braveheart, Forrest Gump, Gladiator, Godfather I & II, Silence of the lambs - just a few past winners that won't cut the mustard based on these new standards. Forget all of the above - if Schindler's List were to be made today, it won't make the cut. It would be interesting to see the academy explain that away.
IndieGooner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 18:22   #8912
Senior - BHPian

Nope, available on Prime Video, 4/5

Interesting movie. Like director Jordan Peele's other movie Get Out, has a unique storyline and definitely worth a watch (or more).
SilentEngine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 16:33   #8913
Senior - BHPian

Saw 3 movies when I was flying international.

Black Adam

Dunno why Dwayne Johnson had to do this movie, pathetic story and pathetic acting by all including Pierce Brosnan. Give it a royal skip.

Rating: 1.5/5

The Menu

This was a good watch. Super acting by Ralph Fiennes. A dark comedy and a satire clubbed. Lots of twists and turns. One time watch for sure.

Rating: 3.5/5

Ticket to Paradise

Watched this movie for Julia Roberts whose movie I am seeing after a long time. George Clooney acts like a clooney literally without any expressions. The locales around Bali were simply stunning and beautiful - added in the bucket list. A beaten down plot, not so great acting makes this not so watchable movie

Rating: 2.5/5
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 16:48   #8914
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Dunno why Dwayne Johnson had to do this movie, pathetic story and pathetic acting by all including Pierce Brosnan.
To get into the DC series. Remember reading an article more than a year ago that he wasn't keen on continuing with the Fast and Furious series, especially considering the side storyline of Hobbs & Shaw movie did quite well, and his demand was to focus on that only where he's the main lead in a movie and not one out of 10-15 supporting cast.
Old 13th February 2023, 10:05   #8915
Team-BHP Support

Saw Your Place or Mine on Netflix.

A reboot to the rom-com genre with Reese Witherspoon and Ashton Kutcher. It is slow paced and the two lead actors seem forced. That said, it is a simple, light movie - one you wouldn't mind watching.

3/5
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 10:59   #8916
Senior - BHPian

Finally finished Black Panther Wakanda Forever

My rating - 1/5 and that is also being generous.

Marvel has definitely lost the plot. This movie is no exception. Anything goes now. Frankly these have become boring and predictable. The previous Black Panther film was good with a good story arc and execution to match. This one, I quite didn't get the story and the special effects no longer look anything new or out of ordinary.

Marvel is just going Disney way. I think they have no more interesting stories to tell anymore. Thankfully I didn't waste any money on it as I watched it on hotstar over multiple sittings, yes was that bored every time.
joslicx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 11:26   #8917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Marvel is just going Disney way.
Marvel IS Disney.

My interest just sort of died after Endgame and I got Marvel movie trauma after that
Old 20th February 2023, 11:04   #8918
BHPian

Antman and the Wasp: Quantumania - Rating 2.5/5

The first two Antman movies were decent. They had their fun moments, and they could be OK because there was a plethora of good MCU movies releasing around them (Winter Solider, Ultron, GOTG, Civil War etc).
But now there is no buffer of good movies. The movie exists only to create a plotline for the upcoming films.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - Rating 1/5
One word: terrible. Chadwick Boseman was exceptional, and they should have simply put this franchise to rest.
As someone who has seen every single thing that the MCU has put forth so far, Wakanda Forever, is one of the poorest (and that's even comparing it to the series "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier" or "The Eternals")
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 11:07   #8919
Senior - BHPian

Smile (2022):

Streaming on prime (rental)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15474916/

"After witnessing a bizarre, traumatic incident involving a patient, a psychiatrist becomes increasingly convinced she is being threatened by an uncanny entity."

Horror fans rejoice! This was a nice little bit of creepy bloody horror flick with some scary moments.

3.5/5
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 12:34   #8920
BHPian

Antman and the Wasp - Quantamania - Rating - 1.5/5

Marvel has run out of ideas. The plot was predictable. Unfortunately, that's been the case since Endgame. The only other good marvel movie after Endgame was Spiderman No Way Home. Since that Marvel has been on a downward trajectory.
Coming to the movie, it was a disappointment. There were moments when the movie plot felt completely lost. The VFX were bad. That's the resultant effect of having a minimum of 3 movies and 4+ Disney plus TV shows a year.
Johnathan Majors as Kang did a decent job. Nothing extortionary. Is he the best MCU villain? I still think the crown for that goes either to Ultron or Thanos.
Where the Infinity Saga set up the future beautifully and led us to Thanos, the Multiverse Saga has been about Kang since the beginning and on your face. Personally, by the time we reach Avengers: Kang Dynasty and then to Secret Wars, most of us would have gotten bored to seeing him on the big screen.
Old 24th February 2023, 00:00   #8921
BHPian

Came across this recommendation, a short movie, about a Rally Driver who returns to Group B rally after a troubled past.

Starring the Game of Thrones fame Richard Madden.

Old 25th February 2023, 12:57   #8922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
The Menu (Disney Hotstar)

With such a cast, expected the movie to be good and boy, it did not disappoint!

4/5
Looks like it was borrowed from the popular Agatha Christie novel "And there were None" or "Ten little Indians". This novel has inspired many movies - Gumnaam (Hindi), Nadu Iravil (tamil), Aduthathu (tamil), Attagara (kannada) to name a few.
Old 10th March 2023, 11:23   #8923
Senior - BHPian

Lou (Netflix)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5315210/

"A storm rages. A young girl is kidnapped. Her mother teams up with the mysterious woman next door to pursue the kidnapper, a journey that tests their limits and exposes shocking secrets from their pasts."

With nothing better to watch, my wife and I decided to give this a go. It was fairly decent though having been exposed to typical Indian melodramas, the supposed "twist" was easily predictable.

Overall would rate it at 2.5/5.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 12:05   #8924
BHPian

Fall (2022) - 8/10

Barring a couple of loose ends the movie kept me glued all the time. Its an achievement in itself if you sit through the whole movie without hitting a single pause button and this movie delivered that.

At one point it gave a feeling as if it is based on a Stephen King book. Although it is not.
Sherlocked is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 12:23   #8925
BHPian

The Many Saints of Newark (2021): If I had seen this film before watching "The Sopranos", I doubt I would have given "The Sopranos" a chance. The whole story and characterization fail miserably. I'm not sure why such idiotic additions were made to ruin the legacy.

4/10

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-whatsapp-image-20230310-12.21.33.jpeg
GhostGrid is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks